Thread: ZAX 8.0.298 -- is the "System Tray Alert" icon no longer available?

lalittle Guest

Default ZAX 8.0.298 -- is the "System Tray Alert" icon no longer available?

I noticed that with ZAX 8.0.298, there does not appear to be a "System Tray Alert" option anymore.
    This was the alert where I very small icon on top of the larger icon in the system tray would indicate that ZA had blocked something.
    The "Zonealarm security software User Guide version 8" document says this:
    Enabling system tray alertsWhen you choose to hide some or all informational alerts, ZoneAlarm security software
    can still keep you aware of those alerts by showing a small alert icon in the system
    tray.
    To enable system tray alerts:
    1. Select Alerts & Logs.
    2. Click Advanced, then click the System Tray Alert panel.
    3. Select the Enable system tray alert icon check box.
    There is no "System Tray Alert panel," however, at this locaiton.
    This document says it's for "version 8," but it was created prior to ZAX, so I'm thinking that this is not an option with ZAX.
    Does
    the option
    exist someplace else now, or is this simply not offered with ZAX?
    Thanks,
    Larry

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Message Edited by lalittle on 04-04-2009 09:43 PM

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: ZAX 8.0.298 -- is the "System Tray Alert" icon no longer available?

I'm not a ZAX user, but perhaps the option to toggle System Tray Icon Alerts on/off that was present in version 7 of ZISS is not present in version 8; i.e., perhaps in version 8, that option is always on and can't be turned off? Perhaps ZA did away with the option since if someone turned off the system tray alerts and also turned their security event alerts down or off, then they would get no notification at all. This way (by having system tray alerts always ON) even if they set their security alerts to low, they still at least got some notification. I don't know that for a fact, but perhaps that is why it is no longer an option; that it could always be on.

Do this test: Run a manual spyware scan. See if your tray icon changes to a magnifying glass during the scan. If so, that would imply to me that system tray alerts are on. Also if you do a manual anti-spyware update, you should see a little white arrow appear over the tray icon.

Even with version 7 of ZISS, the tray icon for a blocked alert will only appear if your settings are such that a full alert notice is not shown; so it's presence or absence will also depend on the level of notification you have set in the "Alerts Events Shown" and Program Events sections (high, medium, or off).

If you want to hear from Tech Support about why the option to turn on/off is not available, you can write them directly at this form:

http://www.zonealarm.com/tsform

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 04-05-2009 02:33 AM

lalittle Guest

<blockquote><hr>Critterjoe wrote:
    I'm not a ZAX user, but perhaps the option to toggle System Tray Icon Alerts on/off that was present in version 7 of ZISS is not present in version 8; i.e., perhaps in version 8, that option is always on and can't be turned off?<hr></blockquote>The document that has instructions for turning this on --
    and has a picture confirming that this is the alert I'm referring to -- is titled &quot;Zonealarm security software User Guide version 8,&quot; so this definitely doesn't appear to be
    a version 7 vs version 8 issue.
    It appears to be an &quot;old version 8&quot; vs &quot;new version 8&quot; thing.

<blockquote><hr>Do this test: Run a manual spyware scan. See if your tray icon changes to a magnifying glass during the scan. If so, that would imply to me that system tray alerts are on. Also if you do a manual anti-spyware update, you should see a little white arrow appear over the tray icon.

<hr></blockquote>I do get those &quot;other&quot; system tray icons -- it's the &quot;alert&quot; icon that I no longer see.
    This is (was) the little yellow and red icon that would appear on top of the red/green &quot;incoming/outgoing&quot; icon every time ZA blocked something.
    I guess I'll assume that ZAX doesn't have this feature.
    I just wanted to makes sure that the option to turn this alert on/off was not moved to a different location.
    Thanks,
    Larry

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>lalittle wrote:
    I guess I'll assume that ZAX doesn't have this feature.
    I just wanted to makes sure that the option to turn this alert on/off was not moved to a different location.
    Thanks,
    Larry
    <hr></blockquote>

I think we are talking about two different areas. In ZA there are TWO different places which could potentially change the effects of the system tray icons. One place is where you could turn on/off systray icons that show you when things occur like spyware scanning, updating, etc. This option may no longer be selectable in Version 8. In version 7 it was under &quot;Alerts and Logs&quot; then Advanced button.

However, there is another area in a completely different location where you can have ZA show a blocked alert as below:

I'm not a ZAX user, so see if you can do this. In the control panel, go to Program Control, then Main subheading. If there is an &quot;Advanced&quot; button click it. Then click on &quot;Alerts and Functionality.&quot; Is there a box to place a checkmark for &quot;Show alert when Internet access is denied.&quot; If this box is checked, a full alert should appear whenever internet access is blocked. However, if on that full alert that pops up one were to choose &quot;Don't show this dialog again&quot;, blocked alerts are hidden from then on, in which case the little icon notice should appear when something is blocked. At least this is my understanding.

If questions persist, you can contact Tech Support since they don't monitor this users group.

http://www.zonealarm.com/tsform

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 04-06-2009 03:49 AM

lalittle Guest

<hr>I'm not a ZAX user, so see if you can do this. In the control panel, go to Program Control, then Main. If there is an Advanced button click it. Then click on &quot;Alerts &amp; Functionality.&quot; Is there a box to place a checkmark for &quot;Show alert when Internet access is denied.&quot;<hr>
    I do have that box in that location, but when I enable it, I still don't get the &quot;access blocked&quot; icon in the systray like I used to, so I'm not sure what this option actually does.
    Do you know how I could verify what this option does?
    I tried a port scan test, which used to trigger the little systray alert I'm looking for, but this doesn't happen with ZAX.

Do you happen to know what events this option pertains to?
    Thanks again,
    Larry

critterjoe Guest

I added some more into to my answer above. Here it is again in case my editing confused things:

If this box is checked, a full alert should appear whenever internet access is blocked. However, if on that full alert that pops up one were to choose &quot;Don't show this dialog again&quot;, blocked alerts are hidden from then on, in which case the little icon notice should appear when something is blocked. At least this is my understanding.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 04-06-2009 04:02 AM

critterjoe Guest

I think one way to test it would be to go to Program Control and put Red X's on all internet access for Internet Explorer, or Firefox, or whatever you use. Then try to access the internet by opening your browser. It will be blocked, and either a full alert popup should appear, or the little icon in your systray.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 04-06-2009 04:04 AM

lalittle Guest

I get the full &quot;program&quot; alerts in the situation you describe.
    It's the little mini red and yellow icon that used to display on top of the green/red &quot;bars&quot; icon that I no longer
    see.
    I think it may have been called the &quot;Privacy Advisor,&quot; and since ZAX does not have the &quot;Privacy&quot; section, I'm thinking that this is simply not offered with this suite.
    Thanks again for taking the time to help me out with this,
    Larry

Message Edited by lalittle on 04-06-2009 02:19 AM

critterjoe Guest

When the full blocked alert popped up, did you choose &quot;Don't show this dialog again.&quot; Then having chosen that, then close your browser and try to open it again (assuming your red X's are still in place), and see how you are notified that it was blocked; I'm thinking that now it should be the icon. Watch your systray carefully when you open your browser to see if any little shield or X appears.

Note: If you choose &quot;don't show this dialog again&quot;, I don't know if that is temporary or permanent, and whether it is just for that one program. i.e., if it's not temporary, I'm not sure there is any way you can change your mind and later reverse it short of doing a database reset and reconfiguring your settings, which isn't all that difficult to do.

Privacy Advisor does not produce icon alerts; it only has a small popup.

Was the icon alert you used to see shaped like a tiny shield and blinked?

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 04-06-2009 04:54 AM

Thread Information