Thread: Multiple Problems with ZA Extreme Security

chairman Guest

Default Multiple Problems with ZA Extreme Security

I've been a Zone Labs customer for over 5 years. No complaints (other than a few minor hassles) until now. (Well there was that 1 time with the snotty "customer service" rep , but we won't go there).
    I had Zone Alarm , then ZASS for years , but since upgrading to Zone Alarm Extreme Security (ZAX
    ??) I've had nother but multiple problems on all 3 computers I have installed it on.
    Comp. 1 PC IE 8 XP SP 3 .
    I upgraded from ZASS and installed over old version. Many lock ups , intermittant
    connection problems and very slow browsing. If I shut down Zone Alarm (not just Force Field) my browsing is MUCH faster (and that goes for all 3 PC's) . I realize this is NOT a safe practice and only did it to see if ZAX is the problem. My browsing speed slowed down a little when I 1st installed
    ZA and then even a little more when I upgraded to ZASS. Now it is really slow if (and when)
    it does work.....
    But that is just my PC. I
    have also installed this on both of my GF's computers (PC and Laptop) and have noticed a significat differance in browsing speed as well. The differance between having ZA on and off is night and day.....
    Comp. 2
    PC
    using IE 8 and Windows XP SP3 Is ok when I use "open protected browser" or "open unprotected browser". But if I click on "open browser" or an icon on the desktop (by accident ,
    or force of habit) computer locks up. I can't even get task manager to open most times , or when it finally does I get mutiple task manager windows. Even then I still can't close the locked up browser windows . It also seems VERY slow to open the 1st window on protected or unprotected browser and browsing in general seems a bit slower than usual. Also take much longer to start up or shut down.
    Comp. 3
    Laptop using IE 8 and Vista 64 bit
    This originally had the trial version of ZASS on it and later I tried the beta of ZAX. It worked good with the trial of ZASS and it was OK with ZAX Beta as long as I kept "Force Field" turned off. I was hoping this issue was going to be resolved by Zone Labs when I upgraded my other 2 PC's from ZASS when their subscription expired.
    Wrong !!!!!!!!
    I tried using the removal tool on all 3 computers which is supposed to remove all ZA products . I then did a re-install (from a downloaded program to a flash drive).
    No change.....I then did a manual un-install (after running the removal program again) on the Vista 64 bit laptop and
    I still found ZA files which I deleted per instructions.
    Tried re-installing after these steps. No help....It works fine and fast IF I turn Force Field OFF...... Soon as I turn Force Field on the problems start. I tried disabling Windows Defender. No help.......
    Programs that cause the computer to lock up and won't allow computers to shut down normally or even sometimes at all.
    ISWMGR.exe
    Force Field
    Sometimes the lockup is so bad Ctrl alt Del doesn't do anything and I have to shut the power off to be able to restart the computer.
    Not sure what to do now.... I am almost certain "Force Field" is the cause of most if not all of these problems.

I know Zone Labs used to have a customer support # , but I can't find it anywhere.
    Maybe I need to contact them ?
    Anyone have the #
    ???

Operating System:Windows Vista 64 bit
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

chairman Guest

Default Re: Multiple Problems with ZA Extreme Security

It seems like things have gotten a LITTLE better since the latest update to ZAX.
    One PC (Windows XP SP 3 , IE 8 ) will work with the update , and allow me to open the protected browser. But it still freezes up from time to time and I have to re-start. Also browsing speed seems a bit slow. Any solutions ?
    The other PC (XP SP3 IE 8) I am really having trouble with. It will NOT allow me to update the antivirus and I keep getting alerts that the anti-virus is out of date. It tries to connect
    , bit cannot downlowd the anti-virus updates. It can download the anti-spyware updates , though. Also having a LOT of connection problems to the internet. It doesn't want to connect more often than not ( and this all started since installing ZAX).
    The Laptop with Vista and IE 8 now allows me to open only the unprotected browser when I have Force Field on. Before the latest update , I could not connect at all with Force Field on without it freezing up. But , I still cannot use the protected browser , or just "open browser" options. If I try , either nothing happens , or I just get that little circle (from IE 8) like it is trying to do something , or worse yet it freezes and the top of the screen says "internet exporer not responding". When it does this , I have to re-start. If I click task manager it says the following 2 programs are preventing windows from shutting down :
    ISWMGR.exe and Force Field.
    I really beleive the Force Field is the cause of most if not all these problems.
    Can anyone help ??

Hi!have you tried to clean the forcefield virtual data, usually this will solve most of the problems.First open an 'uprotected' broswer --> tools --> Internet options --> delete --> clear out as much as possible.Close your browser then go to --> ZA browser security --> settings --> advanced --> 'push on' clear virtual data --> Wait 3 minutesTry again now....Also note that google desktop can conflict with ZA, remove it and install the latest version.You may also have conflicting add-on in IE, disable them before testing ZAX.*** Also note that ZAX does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, NOD, Kaspersky and manyothers. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZAX is working as it should ***Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 04-04-2009 01:28 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

chairman Guest

Thanks for the reply , Fax !!
    I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get a response.
    I am wondering if the problem I am having with my GF's laptop , which has IE 8 and Vista 64 bit is NOT caused by the system itself. I see the reccomended system requirements for installation of ZAX on a 64 bit Vista machine are 4 gig RAM and 2 Gig processor. Her laptop only has a 1.9 Gig processor and 3 Gig RAM. Do you think this
    MAY* be the cause of the problems , or do you think that ZAX should still be able to run on this machine , despite it being just a little bit below the reccomended requirements ???
    Also , isn't there a way to make a 64 bit machine run in 32 bit ? Is this reccomended and how will performance suffer ?
    The reason I ask is that I thought I saw that ZAX only requires 2 Gig of Ram on a 32 bit Vista machine. I am not sure what they reccomend for a processor with 32 bit Vista , but I thought that it was also lower than what is required for Vista 64 bit.
    I DO run multiple other spyware and security programs. On
    most machines I have Spybot Seach and Destroy and AdAware (both the free and paid versions , depending on the machine).
    I have also recently added Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware (both free editions) to all my machines after reading about them on the forum here. I was hoping that by using them , I could resolve the problem. Will these programs conflict with ZAX as well and will I have to completely remove them ??
    I have used ZA and more recently (the past few years) ZASS on mine and my GF's machines and had no problems. But I really do like the idea of the virtual browsing (from what I understand of it).
    I also had some questions about how "Force Field" is supposed to work. Should I always be using the "protected browser" whenever possible ? If so what are the "open browser" and "open UN-protected browser" options for ???
    I notice on 1 machine (the only one that is working "fairly" well right now) , if I open the protected browser , when I open a web page , I can NOT have it save to the desktop (place an icon on the desktop). I can ONLY do this when I have the UN-protected browser open (and I realize this is defeating my purpose of having ZAX. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal
    ??
    Also , it seems on the laptop , I can click on icons on the desktop , and they will open (well sometimes anyway). But is this considered "safe" browsing , or do I always need to click the "protected browser" tab 1st ?
    (if I do this on this machine , it freezes up).
    Anyhow , I will run Spybot and AdAware 1 more time on each machine and then remove them and see if that helps.
    Thanks again for the reply !!

chairman Guest

Oh , BTW...
    I have clicked the "clear virtual data" tab and things (sometimes) work better for a while.
    BUT , I also notice that sometimes when I go into ZAX control panel and go into the browser tab , if I go to check the settings on the browser , the (enable virtual browsing ???) box is UNCHECKED
    !!
    I recheck it and sometimes it stays checked for a while. But eventually when I check it again , I will sooner or later find it UNCHECKED..
    Any idea what may be causing this ?

Hi!nope, sorry no idea...Usually it is related to a corruption of the ZA settings. To fix this try the following:1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootDo not restore any previous backup settings and keep your ZAX at defaults.Next time please try to summarise your post... they aretoo long. I could not really follow. Sorry.If problems persist, better you contact ZA technical support directly: www.zonealarm.com/tsform Thanks,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

chairman Guest

Hi ,
    Sorry about the long posts.
    I probably should try to concentrate on 1 machine at a time. (But it is tough when mine is not really working at all , and my GF is after me because hers are not working that well either).

Thread Information