Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro

  1. #1
    pimjoosten Guest

    Default McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro

    I have always been using ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewall and since a little more than a year combined with McAfee AntiVirus Plus for my anti-virus protection. During installation I always switched off the firewall function in McAfee, so that was never installed. ZoneAlarm refuses to be installed when McAfee is installed. The workaround I used for that is to install McAfee first and then ZoneAlarm Pro. However, ever since version 13 (2009) of McAfee, McAfee now also refuses to be installed when ZA is present. I think this is weird, because these programs always functioned perfectly alongside eachother, as long as I did not have McAfee s firewall installed. Does anyone have a solution?

    I get McAfee AntiVirus Plus for free from my ISP, so that s a good choice for antivirus. However, I like and trust ZA s firewall better and would really like to keep that too. Moreover, I recently renewed my subscription for two years.

    BTW: the problem is the same on my XP PC, my Vista 32-bit laptop and my Vista 64-bit PC. On my laptop and XP PC I can still use version 12 (2008) of McAfee, but for my 64-bit machine I need to use McAfee s latest version.

    Thank you for your input!

    Operating System:Windows Vista 64 bit
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Default Re: McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro


    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>pimjoosten wrote:
    I have always been using ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewall and since a little more than a year combined with McAfee AntiVirus Plus for my anti-virus protection. During installation I always switched off the firewall function in McAfee, so that was never installed. ZoneAlarm refuses to be installed when McAfee is installed. The workaround I used for that is to install McAfee first and then ZoneAlarm Pro. However, ever since version 13 (2009) of McAfee, McAfee now also refuses to be installed when ZA is present. I think this is weird, because these programs always functioned perfectly alongside eachother, as long as I did not have McAfee s firewall installed. Does anyone have a solution?

    I get McAfee AntiVirus Plus for free from my ISP, so that s a good choice for antivirus. However, I like and trust ZA s firewall better and would really like to keep that too. Moreover, I recently renewed my subscription for two years.

    BTW: the problem is the same on my XP PC, my Vista 32-bit laptop and my Vista 64-bit PC. On my laptop and XP PC I can still use version 12 (2008) of McAfee, but for my 64-bit machine I need to use McAfee s latest version.

    Thank you for your input!

    Operating System:Windows Vista 64 bit
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    The problem is that you have too many Firewalls Installed and Running, Not counting the Windows Firewall, which should also be turned OFF. Your ZA Pro firewall is being Blocked of Conflicted with the McAfee Firewall..

    McAfee VirusScan 2009 Features: <HR width="97%" color=#dcdca0 SIZE=1><UL style="MARGIN-TOP: 5px"><LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px">Integrated anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall technologies work together to combat today's sophisticated, multi-pronged attacks. <LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px">Spyware protection detects, blocks, and removes spyware and adware. <LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px">Complete inbound and outbound firewall protection automatically trusts known good applications and helps blocks spyware, Trojans, and key loggers. <LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px">McAfee
    SystemGuards
    watches your computer for specific behaviors that may signal virus, spyware, or hacker activity. </LI>[/list]<HR>

    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Software Firewalls at the same time. <HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. <HR>some Computer Users thinkhttp://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/th_1what.gif that if one Firewall and anti-Virus is good, two or three different ones running at the same time must be better? That is a very BAD ideahttp://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../th_1mad-1.gif

    6.)- have you properly un-installed any previous Firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product.
    ---------------------------------------

    http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:981625352
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200904.5655
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  3. #3
    naivemelody Guest

    Default Re: McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro - free alternative

    pimjoosten, I had the same situation as you did: my ISP gave me a free McAfee VirusScan and I was using ZA Pro, but they had to upgrade McAfee and when I tried to install the new version &gt; I had problems installing McAfee - which was huge at about 50MB (firewall, av, plus extras) { but I think to myself this is way too large for just a simple need for a free anti-virus, and with this problem with installing with ZA &gt; I decided to un-install McAfee and use other free alternative anti-virus and it works, well}<hr>Keeping ZA Pro firewall (paid for two years) - good; as an alternative 'free' anti-virus you can try either:1 - Avira AntiVir ~ 21MB, simple, easy to use, will usually have very good detection(above average)
    results from certified testing organizations - click here &gt; http://www.free-av.de/en/products/1/...antivirus.html
    2 - AVG free anti-virus - will include link-scanner,
    anti-spyware, etc.
    click here &gt; http://free.avg.com/download-avg-ant...s-free-edition
    3 - AwilAvast free anti-virus
    - anti-spyware, can scan IM,P2P, web shield, etc. click here &gt; http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html
    or
    search the homepage
    of AwilAvast
    &lt;{ you will have to re-type the correct spelling}<hr>These three are
    popular anti-virus being used by many ZA users.<hr>If you choose to &quot;change&quot; please properly un-install McAfee anti-virus with their Removal Tool - click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154
    &lt; do this before installing your new 'free' anti-virus. :8}





    Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 04-03-2009 07:44 PM

    Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 04-03-2009 07:55 PM

    Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 04-03-2009 07:57 PM

  4. #4
    pimjoosten Guest

    Default Re: McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro

    Thank you GeorgeV for your response. In my case, I am not attempting to install McAfee firewall as I uncheck the firewall in the installation menu. Also, the windows firewall is automatically turned off when ZA installs.

  5. #5
    pimjoosten Guest

    Default Re: McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro - free alternative

    Thank you NaiveMelody for your response. I will certainly look into these alternatives. I guess it depends on my preference which main program I want to keep, either ZA or McAfee. I posted the same question in the McAfee forum, but there, of course, the response is that I should just install McAfee and leave ZA behind....

    A shame though that my installation &quot;trick&quot; does work with McAfee 12, and both programs actually do work well together. It's just the security built in the installation procedure of both programs that prevents me to install them, even though I opted out of the firewall.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Default Re: McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro - free alternative


    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>pimjoosten wrote:
    Thank you NaiveMelody for your response. I will certainly look into these alternatives. I guess it depends on my preference which main program I want to keep, either ZA or McAfee. I posted the same question in the McAfee forum, but there, of course, the response is that I should just install McAfee and leave ZA behind....

    A shame though that my installation "trick" does work with McAfee 12, and both programs actually do work well together. It's just the security built in the installation procedure of both programs that prevents me to install them, even though I opted out of the firewall.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with NaiveMelody,
    Sorry, that is one of the side effects of evolution of Security Software..The more improvements and features McAfee, SymantecAVG, PC-Tools etc add to their programs, the more likely that they will conflict with other Security products..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Default Re: McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro


    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>pimjoosten wrote:
    Thank you GeorgeV for your response. In my case, I am not attempting to install McAfee firewall as I uncheck the firewall in the installation menu. Also, the windows firewall is automatically turned off when ZA installs.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Please note thatZoneAlarm Firewalldoes not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled). <HR>

    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. <HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  8. #8
    qtrolazyg Guest

    Default Re: McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro

    pimjoosten
    For whatever it's worth, I was having the same problem. I prefer ZA's firewall, but I like McAfee's virus protection. So I uninstalled McAfee, installed ZA, then reinstalled McAfee with their firewall not selected. I'm back in business - have the two products I like working well together.

  9. #9
    pimjoosten Guest

    Default Re: McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro

    Thank you qtrolazyg for your reply. In the past I have done the same thing (I just saw that in my first mail I wrote that I used to install McAfee before ZA, but it is the reverse: first ZA, then McAfee). However, McAfee's latest version also checks for ZA and the says it's incompatible. Installing the programs this way thus doesn't work anymore with McAfee's latest version (which is necessary to run on 64-bit).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •