Hi folks ...... I have tried all the different Forum published variations of uninstalling and then re-installing the latest ZASS 8.0.298.035 (including the 27 step clean-out method of previous installations of ZASS).
I have never had any other security software installed on this WinXP SP3 installation other that ZASS (starting with versions way back in the 6.5 series).
Yet still, I am now forced to install the following MS supplied Hive unloader utility to force vsmon.exe to unload in a reasonable time (about 15 seconds).

Without the Hive unloader utility, my WinXP Pro SP3 with ZASS installed takes about 15 minutes to
shutdown (or often never shuts down). It's always vsmon.exe that's is causing the hang-up
and this all started with a clean installation of version 8.0.298.000.
Without any ZASS installed, my WinXP shuts down almost immediately even without the Hive Unloader utility installed.

There hopefully will be a simpler one-step cleanup and update system for ZASS in the future that works properly at least most of the time.
In the meantime, is using the MS provided UPHClean the best workaround for someone who has already tried every ZA Guru trick mentioned on this Forum or every suggestion provided via emails to me by Tech support?
Thank you.__________________________________________
UPHClean v1.6d readme.txt
Updated April 27, 2005
Send all feedback/comments/problems to uphclean@microsoft.com

WHAT IS UPHCLEAN
================
UPHClean is a service that once and for all gets rid of problems with user
profile not unloading.
You are having profile unload problems if you experience slow logoff (with
Saving Settings for most of the time while logging off), roaming profiles
that do not reconcile, or the registry size limit is reached.

UPHCleanSetup for handle remapping for process vsmon.exe (1912) failed.Reverting to closing handle.
Event ID: 1201Source:

UPHCleanThe following handles in user profile "user-xyz" hive have been closed because they were preventing the profile
from unloading successfully:vsmon.exe (0x848)vsmon.exe (0x850)vsmon.exe (0x8f8)vsmon.exe (0x9a4)____________________________________
ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 8.0.298.035TrueVector security engine version 8.0.298.035Driver version 8.0.298.035Anti-virus engine version 6.02.678, DAT file version 981704751Anti-spyware engine version 5.0209.0, DAT file version 01.200904.5665AntiSpam version 6.0.0.1429

Operating System:
Windows XP Pro
Software Version:
Product Name:
ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by eecon on 04-03-2009 03:23 PM