Thread: ZAES installation and FF

sunztorm Guest

Default ZAES installation and FF

I tried to install ZAES last night and ran into a problem. After first reboot when ZAES was initializing I received a microsoft problem report box saying that ForceField had some kind of problem and needed to close. I let the program close but then I got into a problem loop of ForceField having a problem needing to close/ closing/ restarting/having a problem needing to close/ closing/ restarting.I rebooted and still had the same problem.I was unable to toggle Forcefield to the off position in the ZAES control panel but was able to uncheck the "load ZA at start up" and did. I rebooted and uninstalled ZAES.I downloaded a new instance of ZAES from the ZA trial version page and installed ZAES again. I
    again had the same problem with ForceField
    but this time I was able to turn off FF in the ZAES control panel.So I now have ZAES running but I have FF turned off.
    I have a Dell 1525 laptop w/ Vista Home Premium 32 bit
    and SP12 Gig RAM and a 1.73 Ghz processor
    I see now that ZA requires a 2 Ghz processor, could that be the problem?
    As a side note I purchased PC Tune-UP for $9.95 w/ZAES
    and installed and ran it, during the system scan my screen began to flicker and roll, so I shut down the
    system and uninstalled the program.Today I checked my ZA logs and found that ZA thought PC Tune-Up
    was malware.
    I probably could reinstall it and run it with AV/AS turned off. Funny though that ZA bundles it with it's product and it's product misidentifies it.
    I am hoping
    for feedback here before I contact tech support
    if possible.
    Have I missed something or made an obvious mistake? I did have ZASS installed on this system, 8.0.298, if I recall the version correctly.I have a 3pc license and received an offer on my XP desktop that had 8.0.059 installed to upgrade and when I selected yes, it took me to a ZA webpage that offered ZAES for 3pcs/yr for 29.95 and I accepted.I have not surfed on the XP machine yet, but received no errors during install. That machine meets the processor requirements for ZAES.
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:981759120
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200904.5665
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.130.0

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: ZAES installation and FF

Hi!usually this type of crash is related conflicting application on your system.Running google desktop? Or anything particular at boot?Try to run ZAX only with VISTA standard processes. This way:1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the search box and click Enter
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computerHow does it work?
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    It may also due to a incorrect installation of ZAX. Try to remove it (with /clean switch):http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmland reinstallhttp://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...298_035_en.exeCheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 04-05-2009 04:12 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sunztorm Guest

Thank you Fax for your help.ForceField has been starting in a problem loop at every reboot. It tries to start,
    closes, tries to restart, closes etc... even though it is it toggled off in the ZA control panel.I temporarily disabled MS problem reporting.
    In msconfig I followed your steps
    exactly. During
    the reboot FF closed/cycled atleast 23 times.I did note a lot of *crud* in the start menu. I uninstalled google desktop and a yahoo toolbar. I have unchecked the "launch at startup" option for ZA and will try the clean uninstall/ reinstall from your link.As a side thought, I do have AutoRuns, do you think it is okay to disable some of these programs that start at boot up through that program or is it better to do it in msconfig?Some of these pesky programs, I can't see an alternative to disabling them at startup other than uninstalling them. I can not find preferences for this in their preference menus.RealPlayer, Adobe, QuickTime and Cyberlink Power Cinema-- it is either a Dell media product or
    Microsoft.
    Thank you again Fax, I am going to try the clean uninstall now.

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:981825296
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200904.5665
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.130.0

Hi!better to use MSCONFIG, you do not need necessarily to disable all of them, the objective is to find the service/startup item conflicting with ForceField.In fact, if you find out that ZA works well if you disable non-MS related software then you can slowly (by group of 4) re-enable the items. First the services than the startup items.Google desktop could have been the problem, since it has been reported to conflict with ZA unless you are with the latest google desktop version.Cheers,Fax

sunztorm Guest

Fax, thank you for your great advice. :8}

ZAES is now up and running, it is doing the deep system AV scan right now. ForceField is green instead of red on the ZA Overview page. It installed without a hitch. I haven't road tested it much yet but I am posting here without problems.I used the link's steps you posted
    from ZA customer care
    but also followed a post that you had written that I printed out, it was a detailed step by step manual clean uninstall.
    I did not get into the registry, and I did not delete the Prefetch folder contents because I have no idea what they are. I figured if the reinstall failed I would go back and read about registry editing and prefetch files until I was comfortable taking those steps.
    I will take your advice on adding back services first and then startup programs in msconfig, and just do a few at a time.This little laptop is/was speedy with all that stuff disabled.Tomorrow I will install ZAES on the other Dell laptop.
    Thank you again for your time and your help. I hope CheckPoint realizes that much of the value of their product is here in the volunteer support offered at this board.
    Cheers,
    Kat

You're welcome!Glad to hear things are working better and your PC is speedy again.Remember from time to time to 'clear the virtual data' of ZA forcefield (Browser security --> settings --> advanced) it will ensure a smooth operation of ZA and the browser and also remove any possible malware.Thank you for your kind words! I just try to help out other users like me...sometimes works sometimes not.... :8}Cheers,Fax

Thread Information