Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation or Post-Installation Problem with 80_298_035 -- VISTA hangs up and must be rebooted

rob_g Guest

Default Installation or Post-Installation Problem with 80_298_035 -- VISTA hangs up and must be rebooted

After two days of struggling to get ZAX 80_298_035 installed, I had constant problems with VISTA "stopping". Only solution was to re-boot. Things seemed to get better with each reboot, leading me to think that ZAX needed to settle in with each new program. But, then, any quick or sudden switch within or between programs would lock things up and I had to reboot. So, I did a system restore to the 298_000 state and things are running okay.

How important is it to get up to 035? And, what could be causing the hang-ups?

Operating System:Windows Vista Business
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: Installation or Post-Installation Problem with 80_298_035 -- VISTA hangs up and must be rebooted

Hi!next time you want to update fully remove ZAX. Apparently your current ZA has some files locked that the new install cannot remove.First remove ZA from Start --> Control Panel --> Programs --> 'Unistall a program' (if there) then:01.) Restart your computer
    02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep
    tapping the "F8" key (at the top of your keyboard)
    03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by
    using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press
    Enter
    04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you
    get a help and support window, close this.
    05.) Once you are at the desktop, Click Start, Computer
    06.) Click Tools, Folder Options, View TabNOTE: If you cannot see the menu bar with the Tools menu on it, you have
    to press the Alt-key on the keyboard and the menu bar should then be
    visible. 07.) Place a dot next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
    08.) Remove the check from "Hide Protected Operating System Files
    (Recommended)"
    09.) Choose Yes to the warning
    10.) Click OK
    11.) Double click C:Note: In the future steps if you do not see any files or folders, please click
    the "Show Files" link to view them.12.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose YesNOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs -
    > ZoneAlarm folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as
    possible.14.) Close this window
    15.) Click Start, Computer
    16.) Double Click C:
    17.) Double Click the Windows Folder
    18.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    19.) Double Click the System32 Folder
    20.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose YesNOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs
    folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as possible.22.) Close this window
    23.) Click Start, Computer
    24.) Double Click C:
    25.) Double Click the Program Files Folder26.) Double Click the Checkpoint Folder27.) Right click onZAForceField folder, click Delete, and choose Yes28.) Locate and delete the following files in the System32 folder if they are present:- vsconfig.xml
    - vsxml.dll
    - vsregexp.dll
    - vsdata.dll
    - vsdata95.vxd
    - vsdatant.sys
    - vsmonapi.dll
    - vspubapi.dll
    - vsinit.dll
    - vsutil.dll
    - vswmi.dll
    - zlcommdb.dll
    - zlcomm.dll
    - zpeng24.dll- xpeng25.dll
    29.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.- Go to Start -> In the search box
    - Type %temp% and press enter
    - Select all of these files and delete them30.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below.- Go to Start -> In the search box- Type Prefetch and press enter
    - Select all of these files and delete them31.) Check the system for malware. Check with MBAM and SuperAntispyware. See links here: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=378732.) ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, NOD, Kaspersky and manyothers. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZASS is working as it should.33. Clean your system and registry with ccleaner.comhttp://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloadbinslim34. Use the latest Downladerfrom here:http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...SPSetup_en.exe35. Install ZAX with default settings do NOT alter them. After re-boot go to ZA antivirus/antispyware and 'Update Now' and do not restore any previous ZA settings.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

rob_g Guest

Default Re: Installation or Post-Installation Problem with 80_298_035 -- VISTA hangs up and must be rebooted

Fax,

Thanks. I'm in the midst of the process and have a question. Should I uninstall MBAM, SuperAnitspyware, and CCleaner? Before reinstalling ZAX?

Robert

Hi!are they the free versions? If yes, no you can keep them installed.Cheers,Fax

rob_g Guest

Fax,

Thanks. So far so good. One key was your identifying the need to delete to Forcefield folders. They're not mentioned in the "How to Perform a Clean Install" page that another guru pointed us to.

As for leaving the malware, spyware and registry cleaners you recommend using, I assume that if I leave them installed, I still should have them loading at startup and running with ZAX. Right?

Robert

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Rob-G wrote:
    I still should have them loading at startup and running with ZAX. Right?

Robert
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>H!no, not really. You can Uncheck their option of booting at startup, not needed.You can use them from time to time (once a month or two) to check you are clean.Also from time to time clean the virtual data of ForceField, will ensure a smooth operation of your browsers and clean eventual malware.Cheers,Fax

rob_g Guest

Fax,

Well, things are not going well. The system is locking up again. I haven't done the deep scan, planning on letting it happen overnight. Is there anything you can think of that is causing 035 to make VISTA hang when the prior version runs just fine?

Robert

Hi! there is no reasons why new version hangs, its basically identical to the previous.Have you tried to boot your system only with ZA and standard VISTA services? This way:.) Click Start -&gt; Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the search box and click Enter
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and forcefield (if there), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computerHow does it work?
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.If all the above fails please contact ZA technical support directly. www.zonealarm.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

rob_g Guest

OK! Not crashing now. But, now the question is how do I figure out which program (or number of programs) is causing the lock-up. I'll see what happens.

rob_g Guest

Interesting. I switched back to 298_000 and things are running okay -- just okay with occasional slow-downs. My guess is that 298_035 is just large enough to overload my memory management resources. I am going to live with the older version while I review what I have running.

Still, I've learned a lot about managing ZAX! Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information