Thread: Difficult install of Security Suite v 8.0.298.035 on virtual machine running XP Home Edition

hallj Guest

Default Difficult install of Security Suite v 8.0.298.035 on virtual machine running XP Home Edition

System:
    iMac Intel running VMware Fusion v 2.0.3 (156731)
    XP Home Edition v 5.1 Service Pack 3

ZoneAlarm Security Suite
    Security Suite v 8.0.298.035
    True Vector Security Engine v 8.0.298.035
    Driver v 8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine v 6.0.2.678, DAT file v 915051681 (updated on SS startup to 981973541)
    Anti-spyware engine v 5.0.209.0, DAT file v 01.200812.5005 (updated on SS startup to 01.200904.5685)
    Anti-spam v 6.0.0.1429

My system may be a bit different than most since I am using an iMac running OS X (v 10.5.6) on a 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo machine with 4 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I use VMware Fusion to create a virtual PC that runs XP Home Edition Service Pack 3.

I purchased and downloaded the Security Suite program yesterday (4/7/09) when my previously loaded ZoneAlarm Security Suite license expired (I was running v 8.0.298.000). I downloaded a small program after purchase (261kb) that was the ZoneAlarm installer. The downloaded installer program begins by first downloading the new SS version and then installing it in XP. Even this first step was troublesome requiring several attempts to download (I didn't record the error message but the installer program could not be executed. I did notice that the displayed icon for the program was a generic XP icon. When the installer worked, that is started up, the icon was a ZoneAlarm icon.)

Multiple attempts to load the Security Suite program with the (now running) Installer failed whether I selected the "upgrade" option or "clean install" option. Sometimes the installer seemed to just hang up. If it did complete the installation and restarted the PC, on restart, the ZoneAlarm warning that my program license expired was displayed wherein it asks if I want to update (which I already did!). It would not let me launch the User Interface to try and change my license number.

Although frustrated, I chose to search this forum and found some postings by FAX in response to a system hang-up issue when loading ZoneAlarm's AV 8.0.298 (3/24/09). FAX's procedure recommended a clean install using very deliberate steps. I thought I would follow the overall idea FAX suggested to do a clean install in an XP system without a loaded version of ZoneAlarm's Security Suite. I wanted to first try to use the system tools before following the detailed steps that FAX suggested. Here are the steps that finally got the new version of the SS installed and operating on my virtual machine.

1. Uninstall the old version of ZoneAlarm Security Suite
    Go to the XP "Start" menu,
    Select "All Programs" to get your list of Programs,
    Find the "ZoneAlarm" file name and highlight it.
    It usually shows three new selections: "Read me", "uninstall ZoneAlarm Security", and "ZoneAlarm Security".
    Double click the "Uninstall" to remove the current Zone Alarm Security Suite program.
    Restart the computer.

2. Install the new version of ZoneAlarm Security Suite
    Double click the ZoneAlarm Installer that was downloaded from ZA's website (261kB program)
    Enter your email address when asked (this essentially confirms that its a clean install)
    Program takes time to download the ZA SS version and install it.
    When it completes the installation it will ask to "Restart".
    Let ZA automatically "Restart" the program.
    XP will shut down and then restart.

3. The "Subscription has expired" screen shows up again but now can be managed!
    On restart, I still got the "Subscription has expired screen".
    The ZoneAlarm icon in the program tray still showed the little red-X. Don't worry. This too can now get changed.

4. Enter new ZA SS License Number
    Go to the XP "Start" menu again
    It will show "New Program Installed"
    Double click on "New Program Installed" to launch the program to get the User interface for ZA Security Suite.
    Note: when I tried to get this User Interface displayed via the program tray icon, it would not launch the interface.
    Using the left panel of the interface, click on "Product Info" under "Overview"
    Enter the new license number of the ZA program you just bought.
    Note: This got the new ZA started but the Smart Defense Advisor was still tagged as "Expired"

5. Final Steps
    "Restart" XP again (I assumed that some program flags were persistent after I entered the new license number).
    On "restart" ZA SS launched without the dreaded red-X on its program tray icon. No screen message to renew!

6. Run a deep Anti-virus and Anti-spyware scan
    Double click on the program tray icon for ZoneAlarm to launch ZA's user interface.
    Click open the "Anti-virus/spyware" header.
    The right hand screen should show the status of the AV and AS. Both should be "on"
    Use the radio button at the bottom of this right hand screen and select "Update Now"
    This updates the DAT files (see above for the starting version from download and the updated version used in the scans)
    The do a scan (this takes a while since it is a "deep" scan of your files)

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Difficult install of Security Suite v 8.0.298.035 on virtual machine running XP Home Edition

Hi!sorry, ZA does not support MAC nor any other emulator.I think ZA forum moderator posted about it sometime ago.EDITED:Here: http://forum.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=55509Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 04-08-2009 05:15 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information