Thread: Lost Internet Explorer favorites shortcuts

quin Guest

Thumbs up Lost Internet Explorer favorites shortcuts

After I loaded ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version 8.0.298.035 my favorite shortcuts in Internet Explorer started to have problems. When I try to access some of the favorite shortcuts I get the message "The target
    of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the internet shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is correct.". When I go to the property sheet of the bad shortcut the tab for the web document is missing. I then delete the bad shortcut and reestablish a new shortcut.
    Not to long after I have done
    the reestablishment
    the shortcut goes bad again. So far not all shortcuts have gone bad. I have Microsoft XP professional with SP3 build 2600, Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13
    and all updates.

ZoneAlarm Version:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version 8.0.298.035TrueVector security engine version 8.0.298.035Driver version 8.0.298.035Anti-virus engine version 6.0.2.678, DAT file version 982352184Anti-spyware engine version 5.0.209.0, DAT file version 01.200904.5725
    Antispam version 6.0.0.1429ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.130.0

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: Lost Internet Explorer favorites shortcuts

Hi!please report directly to ZA technical support:http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htmPlease post back if you get any feedback. It will help other users that mayhave your same issue.ThanksCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

quin Guest

Default Re: Lost Internet Explorer favorites shortcuts

Sorry it took me a while to respond back but, I wanted to make sure the fix worked. I contacted Tech. Support and was told to delete and reinstall ZoneAlarm. I did that with no problems but, my problem was still present. I started to doubt that ZoneAlarm was the culprit because I could not see how ZoneAlarm had altered my registry in the the Internet Explorer subkey. I went to Microsoft and could not find any reference to the error message using their search. I did not give up and so I did a Google search and found a reference to this problem back in 2004 before XP SP1 release. XP SP1 was suppose to fix this known problem. Since I have XP SP3 I realized that I the registry had been corrupted. This could have happened during the ZoneAlarm download or just been a coincidence. Registries can become corrupted after a time so this is just the "nature of the beast". Microsoft has a Hotfix at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/936881. One should be careful when editing the registry because one typo could cause major problems, so before editing registry backup the registry. This
    Hotfix is good for Vista, XP
    and Windows Server 2003. All software can have problems especially with third party software interfacing with the
    operating system
    software.
    I hope this helps people with this problem.

Default Re: Lost Internet Explorer favorites shortcuts --> Resolved

Hi!thank you very much for coming back with a detailed reporting of the issue and the fix.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 04-22-2009 07:17 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information