Thread: version 8.0.298.35 install mess

joeuser Guest

Default version 8.0.298.35 install mess

I am running XPPro SP3 fully patched and auto-updated. Downloaded the new subject version but held off installing, expecting this problem.

Began by turning off ZA.
    I used the uninstall link in the program folder, not the one on the control panel.
    Ran the new exe as a clean install.
    Upon reboot XP wouldn't load. I rebooted into safe mode and used system restore to get going again. So I'm operational, but lack AV protection. Not good!
    Can I please have the _detailed 27-step de-installation instructions_ that will instruct me how to edit the registry and clean out the remnants that are causing this problem? I went through a similar problem with a prior version upgrade but expect that those instructions are out of date.

Thanks!

ps
    Has it ever occurred to the brainiacs at CheckPoint to fully advise their Customers on these techniques and thus avoid the mess that makes us depend on diligent (and likely unpaid and completely taken for granted) volunteers who man this forum? I'd bet their are people who are now paying money to "Cumputer Nerdz" or some other service to fix this mess.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

doright Guest

Default Re: version 8.0.298.35 install mess

Joe,

Exactly 6 days ago, I was in the same mess. I, too, had put off installing the update until I'd gotten sick of the ZA reminders.

I don't know how to post a link to the uninstall instructions, however, if you go back in the forums (Pg. 3) to an entry dated 4/12/2009 with the subject "ZASS Gone", there will be a reply to my post from GeorgeV that has the link. He kindly posted it when I was in the same fix.

Also, if you go to the Technical Support Knowledge Base and type in "I cannot find or run the ZoneAlarm uninstall program (XP/2000)" (sans quotation marks, of course), the first document listed will be the one you're looking for. I know this because I've done it so much!

My bucket is about full of the same frustration. It seems to only be a problem with XP-Pro, as I have two other computers running XP that experience no problems with ZASS updates/upgrades.

Good luck to you!

Sheryl

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>JoeUser wrote:
    I am running XPPro SP3 fully patched and auto-updated. Downloaded the new subject version but held off installing, expecting this problem.

Began by turning off ZA.
    I used the uninstall link in the program folder, not the one on the control panel.
    Ran the new exe as a clean install.
    Upon reboot XP wouldn't load. I rebooted into safe mode and used system restore to get going again. So I'm operational, but lack AV protection. Not good!
    Can I please have the _detailed 27-step de-installation instructions_ that will instruct me how to edit the registry and clean out the remnants that are causing this problem? I went through a similar problem with a prior version upgrade but expect that those instructions are out of date.

Thanks!

ps
    Has it ever occurred to the brainiacs at CheckPoint to fully advise their Customers on these techniques and thus avoid the mess that makes us depend on diligent (and likely unpaid and completely taken for granted) volunteers who man this forum? I'd bet their are people who are now paying money to "Cumputer Nerdz" or some other service to fix this mess.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This 27 step applies to

All ZoneAlarm products
    Windows 2000/XP

Summary

I need to completely remove ZoneAlarm, or there are remnants of
    ZoneAlarm on my system

Solution

If possible, first try to uninstall ZoneAlarm normally from your Start -&gt;
    Programs -&gt; ZoneAlarm menu. If this fails, or you want to ensure that all
    ZoneAlarm files were removed from the system properly, continue with the
    steps below.

Please make sure that you have the latest version downloaded first:

http://www.zonealarm.com/trial
    http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...mp;action=view
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

doright Guest

Once again, George V to the rescue. I couldn't even figure out how to post the link!

You're an absolute treasure and very much appreciated.

Sheryl

Your Welcome..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

joeuser Guest

Default 27-step process did not work!

Repeated the process four times.Last try was with a fresh download out of concern that my original was NG.
    Each install resulted in no load on Windows after the splash screen. A reboot into safe mode suceeded and the cleanup repeated.
    I noticed that the cleanup instructions were a bit &quot;off&quot;. Some filenames had typos or have now changed and the cleanup did not seem &quot;conclusively complete&quot;. I even went so far as to search for filenames in the windows folder starting with vs and zl.
    Finally
    I was able to do a clean boot into the OS and set a restore point, but it's without ZLAV installed. Needless to say, I'm not doing anything with this system until the issue is resolved.
    This XP Pro install is absolute &quot;vanilla&quot;. I don't code and would not consider messing with the OS. I'm strictly a user, and I'm hosed!
    So what is &quot;Plan B&quot;? I can't imagine I am the only customer having this problem.

Default Re: 27-step process did not work!

the 27 Step usualy works for most users unless you have othe Security Programs or Malware Blocking or coflicting with ZoneAlarm..some Computer Users thinkhttp://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/th_1what.gif that if one Firewall and Anti-Virus is good, two or three different ones running at the same time must be better? That is very Bad, They will Block or Conflict with each other, resulting in Less Securityhttp://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../th_1mad-1.gif<HR>

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. <HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. PLAN - B: You can Contact ZA Tech Support Free of Charge with your License Key.. and give them the details of your problem and that the 27 step process did not work for you..ZoneAlarm Tech Support and Customer Service do notRead or Monitor this Forum.. There are two Seperate Web-links for those two services..Customer Service www.zonealarm.com/csform or www.zonealarm.com/chat/ click on Live Chat IconZA Tech Support (Requires Valid ZA License Key) www.zonealarm.com/tsformTech Support now has a Live Chat mode for Licensed Users..http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htmLet me know what you find out..--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:982938084
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200904.5765
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -------------------------------------------------

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 04-22-2009 01:52 PM
    GeorgeV