Thread: Zone Alarm Free 5.5.094 and NAV 2009??

dlcphoto Guest

Default Zone Alarm Free 5.5.094 and NAV 2009??

I have an XP Home/SP2 Laptop, successfully running NAV 2008
    (with internet worm protection disabled) and Zone Alarm Free 5.5.094.
    I know this is an old version of ZA, but I recall problems with Ver 6 at one point, but this has been working fine for me, and I've had no motivation to update).
    Anyway, I went to start a free upgrade of NAV 2008 to NAV 2009, and came across the warning from Symantec that ZA must be uninstalled.
    I researched this, and found that most have major conflicts and system lockups when running more recent versions of ZA Free (possibly with the exception of Ver. 8.x), so I have put the update to NAV 2009 on hold.
    One poster at a Norton forum indicated that most likely NAV 2009 would get along fine with ZA 5.5.094, but I wanted to check here before proceeding.
    That person indicated that the older version of ZA acted sufficiently different from current versions that no conflict would be likely.
    Any thoughts here on compatibility between ZA Free 5.5.094 and NAV 2009?
    Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:5.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Zone Alarm Free 5.5.094 and NAV 2009??

<blockquote><hr>dlcphoto wrote:
    I have an XP Home/SP2 Laptop, successfully running NAV 2008
    (with internet worm protection disabled) and Zone Alarm Free 5.5.094.
    I know this is an old version of ZA, but I recall problems with Ver 6 at one point, but this has been working fine for me, and I've had no motivation to update).
    Anyway, I went to start a free upgrade of NAV 2008 to NAV 2009, and came across the warning from Symantec that ZA must be uninstalled.
    I researched this, and found that most have major conflicts and system lockups when running more recent versions of ZA Free (possibly with the exception of Ver. 8.x), so I have put the update to NAV 2009 on hold.
    One poster at a Norton forum indicated that most likely NAV 2009 would get along fine with ZA 5.5.094, but I wanted to check here before proceeding.
    That person indicated that the older version of ZA acted sufficiently different from current versions that no conflict would be likely.
    Any thoughts here on compatibility between ZA Free 5.5.094 and NAV 2009?
    Thanks.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    5.x
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>

I would not guarantee it will work perfectly but yes the ZA Pro 5.5 does seem to be a good candidate for this (use the ZA pro 5.5 myself).
    Yes the ZA 5.5 has less driver issues and firewalling issues.... as s the ZA 5.5 files have never been updated for the possible driver and internet exploits, thus less issues.

You may want to backup the ZA first, if the ZA needs to be uninstalled before the NAV will be installed.
    Then reinstall the ZA after the NAV install and then restore the ZA settings....or start fresh with the ZA for the new NAV setup if wanted.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

dlcphoto Guest

Thanks, Oldsod.
    In the initial install steps for NAV 2009, a compatibility check comes up, showing a conflict with ZA, and offering to uninstall it.
    But there is a &quot;skip&quot; option to allow you to install, and leave ZA alone.
    I'll likely just temporarily show ZA down while I do the NAV 2009 upgrade, and then reboot and reactivate ZA.
    I use a neat program called Casper to clone my OS and Data partitions, so I'll do an update of this so I can easily restore should anything go wrong.
    It shouldn't have to be this complicated...
    Thanks again.

<blockquote><hr>dlcphoto wrote:
    Thanks, Oldsod.
    In the initial install steps for NAV 2009, a compatibility check comes up, showing a conflict with ZA, and offering to uninstall it.
    But there is a "skip" option to allow you to install, and leave ZA alone.
    I'll likely just temporarily show ZA down while I do the NAV 2009 upgrade, and then reboot and reactivate ZA.
    I use a neat program called Casper to clone my OS and Data partitions, so I'll do an update of this so I can easily restore should anything go wrong.
    It shouldn't have to be this complicated...
    Thanks again.

<hr></blockquote>

You are absolutely right, that it should not be this complicated at all.
    Blame symantec for the issues.
    If Peter Norton was still alive today I bet it would be very simple and easy to install the latest NAV and it would be completely compatiable with the ZA or other third party security programs.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information