Thread: What is the latest version of ZA Internet Security Suite which will install flawlessly?

Hybrid View

karl_snooks Guest

Default What is the latest version of ZA Internet Security Suite which will install flawlessly?

Good People,

After numerous downloads, installs, uninstalls (even using a ZoneAlarm suggested program), I always get "Protection is up. UI is initializing." pop-up over the ZA tray icon.

What is the last version of ZA Internet Security Suite which does install? I'm using Vista Ultimate, 32 bit version, SP2 beta. I've removed all previous traces of AV/firewall software.

I'm getting extremely frustrated and negative. I have zero fear of registry-editing if that is required. Please inform.

Karl

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: What is the latest version of ZA Internet Security Suite which will install flawlessly?

Karl_Snooks

QUOTE I'm using Vista Ultimate, 32 bit version, SP2 beta ENDQUOTE

I don't recall seeing that Zone Alarm system requirement supporting Vista Ultimate SP2 beta software.

Findley

karl_snooks Guest

Default Re: What is the latest version of ZA Internet Security Suite which will install flawlessly?

Findley,

To eliminate a variable, I've uninstalled the Vista SP2 Beta and am still encountering the same problem.

Any ideas as to what I can try next. ZA (extreme or suite) simply won't go to install-completion. Sure wish I knew what's causing the problem,as all my guesses up to this point have been correct.

Thanks,
    Karl

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>Karl_Snooks wrote:
    Findley,

To eliminate a variable, I've uninstalled the Vista SP2 Beta and am still encountering the same problem.

Any ideas as to what I can try next. ZA (extreme or suite) simply won't go to install-completion. Sure wish I knew what's causing the problem,as all my guesses up to this point have been correct.

Thanks,
    Karl
    <hr></blockquote>
    Karl_Snooks,
    If you have not already done so, you could check for malware, this has been an issue reported on this board by
    some users who were unable to install zone alarm internet security suite because of malware on their computer.
    May or may not be an issue for your computer.
    You could use the guidelines laid out here to clean your computer:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=3787#M3787
    Here is a link to a thread which includes detailed uninstall instructions http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...hread.id=32929
    Other issues preventing successful installation - as reported by other users on this board - has been using download accelerators to download zone alarm product resulting in
    file corruption, other security software installed which causes conflicts with ZASS installation, not uninstalling previous firewalls completely ( particularly Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro - the first two have specific removal tools) or any other previous antivirus software that has not been completly uninstalled.

You may want to
    give ZASS a clean playing field with no other security software active.
    Also, from my reading of this board, there are users who have not been able to successfully install the latest version of ZASS and have reverted to an earlier version that worked on their computer, with their individual hardware configuration,
    without issue.

Findley

findley Guest

Karl Snooks,
    ZA (extreme or suite) simply won't go to install-completion ENDQUOTE
    I included the uninstall instructions for ZASS above and neglected the ZAExtreme uninstall instructions
    which are here http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...=110715#M85120
    I use ZASS, not ZA Extreme but what I posted above should generally apply to both products.
    Do you use CCleaner to clean out temp files and the junk that we all accumulate on our computers?
    If not, check it out

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! <div align="right">Click here for a Quick Tour...Download CCleaner now...<div class="section">Cleans the following<div class="features">Internet Explorer
    Temporary files, history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat.<div class="features">Firefox
    Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.<div class="features">Google Chrome
    Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.<div class="features">Opera
    Temporary files, history, cookies.<div class="features">Safari
    Temporary files, history, cookies, form history.<div class="features">Windows
    Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.<div class="features">Registry cleaner
    Advanced features to remove unused and old entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more... also comes with a comprehensive backup feature.<div class="features">Third-party applications
    Removes temp files and recent file lists (MRUs) from many apps including Media Player, eMule, Kazaa, Google Toolbar, Netscape, Microsoft Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and many more...<div class="featuresbot">100% Spyware FREE
    This software does NOT contain any Spyware, Adware or Viruses.<div class="featuresbot">
    <div class="featuresbot">
    <div class="featuresbot">Findley

Charles_B Guest

Another link by Guru Fax using Removal Tool to uninstall ZAX :

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=86630

Mr. Findley, Hope you do not take this as a discourtesy.The only reason I also reply to the thread is because the OP question had already been address by both Guru fax &amp; Guru GeorgeV .

Read the OP post history on 04-25-2009 07:33 PM

Message Edited by Charles_B on 04-26-2009 04:53 PM

karl_snooks Guest

Findley,

Yes, I use and have used, almost back to the previous name for CCleaner, that very fine product. I run the program at least always just before shutdown. I don't like startup delays, so don't use the option to run at startup time.

I recommend CCleaner to all and have installed same on numerous desktops and laptops.

Just finished running the &quot;comprehensive scan&quot; option of MalwareBytes AntiMalware. The comprehensive scan takes about 3 hours on my system whereas the quick scan is under 20 minutes, but wanted to be 100% certain that problems weren't malware-related.

MalwareBytes AntiMalware is positively the best freeware in its category and far out-performs many expensive products. I also recommend MalwareBytes AntiMalware to all and have installed same on numerous computers. MalwareBytes is my 1st line of attack on an infected computer.

Have also run Autoruns of the SysInternals suite and have found nothing which could be causing the problem, although I could have missed something there. Was hoping to avoid using ProcessMonitor and ProcessExplorer to run down the problem since I really feel that this entire problem is due to operator malfunction on my part at sometime during the history of my laptop.

Anyway, I'm pursuing all of the suggestions made by different threaad contributors as I've not yet exhausted all of the options and procedures given, although the majority of the procedures I've accomplished thru other routes but will follow the instructions religiously and see if I can eliminate the problem.

Thanks,
    Karl

Charles_B Guest

Thread Information