Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Re: "Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing"

  1. #1
    drobison Guest

    Default Re: "Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing"

    I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop (Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit, AMD Turion 64-bit 2GHZ, 2GB RAM) and have been unable to successfully install ZoneAlarm ISS 8.0.298.035. The problem was that the tray icon would display "Protecion is up, UI is initializing" when hovered, and the UI could not be opened. I spent many hours over many days reading forumns, installing ZA, deinstalling, cleaning up after deinstall, disabling other software, changing settings, reinstalling, etc. All without much luck until today. I hope this helps some other poor soul out there.

    All I did was copy the file vsdatant.sys from c:\windows\system32\zonelabs\ to c:\windows\system32\drivers\, and restarted Windows. ZA then started normally and I was able to open the UI, download updates and run scans. Note that this fix is for Vista since my XP Pro system expects vsdatant.sys in C:\windows\system32\

    Following are some details about how I found the solution -- they have been shortened to focus on the most valuable clues and information. Maybe there will be enough here for ZoneLabs or the smart people who read these forums to figure out what really went wrong.

    I started like most others by deinstalling and reinstalling. When that didn't work, I tried deinstalling and purging the various bit of leftover data before reinstalling. Then I started shutting off other software and services using MSCONFIG. None of that helped. I found a forum entry that suggested removing some Atheros software that comes on Toshiba laptops but didn't do so for fear of making matters worse. At this point all I knew was that ZA's installation seemed to be very touchy, Toshiba laptops seemed to be particularly prone to having the problem, and that no one really had a solid explanation or fix.

    My first big break came when I saw an error message in one of the Windows event logs that said the vsdatant service couldn't start because a file wasn't found. I searched my hard drive and found a copy in C:\windows\system32\zonelabs. I copied it to C:\windows\system32\ based on another forum entry but that didn't help. By looking at the TrueVector service, I could see that it had a dependency on the vsdatant service, but vsdatant didn't show up in the list of services.

    Break #2 came when I found vsdatant in Device Manager (after making hidden devices visible) and could see vsdatant wasn't working. The message was: "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)". I'd get a message saying the file couldn't be found when I tried to start it (on the Drivers tab in the properties dialog). Unfortunately, the message didn't say exactly which file or where it should be located. There was also a possibility that something vsdatant needed (such as another DLL) was missing.

    Break #3 came when I searched the registry and found a possible location for vsdatant.sys. The path for the "ImagePath" key was: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\ControlSet001\Services\v sdatant, and it pointed to C:\windows\system32\drivers.

    Before trying the fix, I speculated that somehow the ZA installer aborted and just didn't do the copy. I was now concerned that there were other things (such as making registry entries) that didn't get done. My fears are diminishing as ZA continues to operate normally. I have an AV scan running now, and then I'll start enabling all the things I disabled and see if ZA still runs.

    My advice to others with the "UI is Initializing" problem is to:
    a. Use Device Manager, make hidden devices visible, look for vsdatant under "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" and see if it is working.
    b. If not, look for vsdatant.sys in either C:\windows\system32, or c:\windows\system32\drivers. If you don't find it, my fix may work for you.
    c. Use the registry editor (RGEDIT) to find the key I mentioned above, and note the path.
    d. Look for vsdatant.sys in C:\windows\system32\zonelabs. Hover over the name to make sure it's the right version. Copy it to where Windows expects to find it.
    e. Restart Windows

    Thanks to all those who posted information about the problem that gave me the breaks I needed. Hopefully this is a little payback.

    Good luck!

  2. #2
    dirtnapper Guest

    Default Re: "Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing"

    I went through this mess a few months back, I got it fixed, but do not remember what I did.
    I just had to re-install my laptop, and of course I had the same problem, thanks for this fix, it was quick and easy, and WORKED! Saved me a long trial and error night.

  3. #3
    kaapso Guest

    Default Re: "Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing"

    After a week of trying I see this post and it helped greatly. I have been using za for a long time, I have to rethink this.

    Thank you for your post.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Post Re: "Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing"

    Quote Originally Posted by kaapso View Post
    After a week of trying I see this post and it helped greatly. I have been using za for a long time, I have to rethink this.

    Thank you for your post.
    Welcome to the ZA User Forum..

    It looks like your Install did not go well,
    The usually Fix for you problem is to do a Clean Uninstall of ZoneAlarm
    With Windows ADD/Remove then Down load a Fresh Copy of zoneAlarm preferably with iWindows internet Explorer.. and do not use ant Download Manager or Accellerator as this my Corrupt your Download..

    Did it re-install better this time?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  5. #5
    J Mac Guest

    Default Re: "Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing"

    Quote Originally Posted by drobison View Post
    All I did was copy the file vsdatant.sys from c:\windows\system32\zonelabs\ to c:\windows\system32\drivers\, and restarted Windows. ZA then started normally and I was able to open the UI, download updates and run scans. Note that this fix is for Vista since my XP Pro system expects vsdatant.sys in C:\windows\system32\
    Thanks very much for your advice. This solution worked perfectly!

  6. #6
    exzacustomer Guest

    Default Re: "Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing"

    Thank you for this tip. I am going to try this today. I've been trying to help a friend get ZoneAlarm installed on her computer but have been getting this message and after trying the uninstall/reinstall routine and wasting time I found your post. Wonder why ZoneLabs doesn't fix this in their installer.

  7. #7
    exzacustomer Guest

    Default Re: "Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing"

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Welcome to the ZA User Forum..

    It looks like your Install did not go well,
    The usually Fix for you problem is to do a Clean Uninstall of ZoneAlarm
    With Windows ADD/Remove then Down load a Fresh Copy of zoneAlarm preferably with iWindows internet Explorer.. and do not use ant Download Manager or Accellerator as this my Corrupt your Download..

    Did it re-install better this time?
    Hello, GeorgeV.

    I know your post wasn't in response to my problem, but just thought I'd let you know that I did try a clean install and the problem wasn't fixed.

    I downloaded using Firefox, though. Not sure I understand your concern about download managers - I don't see how the overall installation would have worked and we would have got to this point if download managers corrupted the file. It seems quite unlikely that the corruption caused the file to be placed in the wrong folder or that it caused the wrong registry entry to be created.

    Seems like a problem with the installer itself. Perhaps a bad version which still had bugs was released by mistake and is on the ZoneLabs site or one of its mirrors.

    BTW, I am trying ZoneAlarm free - helpfully this helps ZoneLabs find the problem.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Post Re: "Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing"

    Quote Originally Posted by drobison View Post
    I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop (Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit, AMD Turion 64-bit 2GHZ, 2GB RAM) and have been unable to successfully install ZoneAlarm ISS 8.0.298.035. The problem was that the tray icon would display "Protecion is up, UI is initializing" when hovered, and the UI could not be opened. I spent many hours over many days reading forumns, installing ZA, deinstalling, cleaning up after deinstall, disabling other software, changing settings, reinstalling, etc. All without much luck until today. I hope this helps some other poor soul out there.

    !

    If your using a Paid version of Zone Alarm,
    Please Report this to ZA Tech Support With full details include Version/type of ZoneAlarm and Details of your computer and Windows..
    Click on ZA Support link in my Signature..

    We are all Users in this forum, Customer Service and Tech support do not Monitor this User Forum..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 6th, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Default Re: "Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing"

    Quote Originally Posted by exzacustomer View Post
    Hello, GeorgeV.


    BTW, I am trying ZoneAlarm free - helpfully this helps ZoneLabs find the problem.

    Unfortunately, Only the Paid versions get Free access to Tech Support..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •