Thread: Fix for Endless "UI is up, protection is initializing" message for Toshiba Laptop owners

Hybrid View

tombarrister Guest

Default Fix for Endless "UI is up, protection is initializing" message for Toshiba Laptop owners

I realize that this fix has been posted elsewhere in bits and pieces and in various forms.
    I'm reposting it here in its entirety.

NOTE: This fix applies to users of Toshiba Laptops.
    It may also apply to any other Laptop users with Atheros security.
    The culprit for Toshiba laptop users is an installation known as "Atheros Wi-Fi Protected Setup Library".
    This program does NOT provide Wi-Fi security; instead, it allows the user to more easily set up Wi-Fi
    security features.

It is not necessary for the operation of your Wi-Fi or your computer, and it can be safely uninstalled without any adverse effects.
    Here is the procedure to follow:

1) Go into Programs and Features and locate the entry "Atheros Wi-Fi Protected Setup Library".

Uninstall this.
    2) Uninstall your ZoneAlarm software.
    3) Go into Services (Start/Run, and type in services.msc) and disable both Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.
    Don't just turn them off.
    Disable them by right-clicking on the service names, choosing Properties, and in the dropdown box by "Service Type", choose "Disabled", then "Apply"
    4) Turn off Protected Mode in Internet Explorer.
    You can do this in Internet Options/Security by unchecking the box next to "Enable Protected Mode"
    (You can try turning it back on later).
    5) Run the ZoneAlarm Removal Tool found here: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe
    It will ask you to reboot your computer.

7) When your computer reboots,
    reinstall ZoneAlarm and follow the prompts.
    This should allow ZoneAlarm to function normally when your computer restarts.

It may take a couple of minutes to initialize.
    At this time, you can try to turn "Protected Mode" back on in Internet Explorer, although I personally don't recommend it.
    If problems occur, you can turn it back off.
    I recommend that you leave Windows Defender and Windows Firewall disabled, as they may interfere with
    ZoneAlarm, and ZoneAlarm will be providing the same (and more) protection as they did.
    I hope that this helps.

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Fix for "UI is up, protection is initializing" message for Toshiba Laptop owners

Thanks TomBarrister for being part of the solution. Your contribution is appreciated. <hr>1) Those of you with Toshiba laptops/ notebooks with Atheros Wi-Fi Protected Setup software

and are having install errors where you see

&quot;Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing&quot; over the ZA tray icon -
    please try this...<hr>&quot;I was working on one of these Toshiba laptops and found a solution to why Zonealarm does not work with a Toshiba laptop. You have to uninstall a program called &quot;Atheros Wi-Fi Protected Setup" once you un-install this from add remove programs Zonealarm will work just fine. It changes the windows firewall settings and blocks the Zone alarm from installing succesfully.&quot;
    thanks to coolphx for this possible solution - &gt; http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=86479#M86479<hr>Please remember to 'properly' un-install any previous firewall and/ (or anti-virus) before installing ZoneAlarm firewall productsClick here for general info &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645<hr>
    If you have Toshiba + Atheros Wi-Fi software and tried this solution with positive results; please post back your results/ confirmations. So far I read about
    six cases - confirmed.
    <hr>2) Thanks to TomBarrister for providing
    a nicely detailed solution. Here are his ideas...
    &quot;I realize that this fix has been posted elsewhere in bits and pieces and in various forms.
    I'm reposting it here in its entirety.

NOTE: This fix applies to users of Toshiba Laptops.
    It may also apply to any other Laptop users with Atheros security.
    The culprit for Toshiba laptop users is an installation known as &quot;Atheros Wi-Fi Protected Setup Library&quot;.
    This program does NOT provide Wi-Fi security; instead, it allows the user to more easily set up Wi-Fi
    security features.

It is not necessary for the operation of your Wi-Fi or your computer, and it can be safely uninstalled without any adverse effects.
    Here is the procedure to follow:

1) Go into Programs and Features and locate the entry &quot;Atheros Wi-Fi Protected Setup Library&quot;.

Uninstall this.
    2) Uninstall your ZoneAlarm software.
    3) Go into Services (Start/Run, and type in services.msc) and disable both Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.
    Don't just turn them off.
    Disable them by right-clicking on the service names, choosing Properties, and in the dropdown box by &quot;Service Type&quot;, choose &quot;Disabled&quot;, then &quot;Apply&quot;
    4) Turn off Protected Mode in Internet Explorer.
    You can do this in Internet Options/Security by unchecking the box next to &quot;Enable Protected Mode&quot;
    (You can try turning it back on later).
    5) Run the ZoneAlarm Removal Tool found here: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe
    It will ask you to reboot your computer.

7) When your computer reboots,
    reinstall ZoneAlarm and follow the prompts.
    This should allow ZoneAlarm to function normally when your computer restarts.

It may take a couple of minutes to initialize.
    At this time, you can try to turn &quot;Protected Mode&quot; back on in Internet Explorer, although I personally don't recommend it.
    If problems occur, you can turn it back off.
    I recommend that you leave Windows Defender and Windows Firewall disabled, as they may interfere with
    ZoneAlarm, and ZoneAlarm will be providing the same (and more) protection as they did.
    I hope that this helps.&quot;<hr>3) Other considerations for &quot;Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing&quot; - software conflicts with other security programs...{ it is advisable to shut-off any other anti-spyware while installing ZoneAlarm }
    Click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=86121
    &quot;Well.
    After several attempts, and reading several of the forum links, I performed three things, of which any one of them could have been the culprit.
    I cannot confirm which one, so if you have this message on the icon in the icon tray when the mouse rolls over, try these three steps (if they apply):
    1)
    Disabled webroot's Spy Sweeper in Startup2)
    Disabled Active mode for Ad-Aware 2009 Anniversary Edition (free edition)3)
    Turned off &quot;Protected Mode&quot; on IE8.
    Once these three things were off, reinstalled and it worked like a charm.
    After it was installed properly and the UI up and running, I turned Spy Sweeper back on and re-engaged the Active mode for Ad-Aware 2009 Annivesary Edition (free edition).
    I have left Protected Mode:
    Off (since I now have a firewall that works).
    Thanks to all those who replied with suggestions.
    Though not any one solution helped, the total number of suggestions lead me to believe the problem might be with one of the three items listed above.
    If you have this problem, and you have one or more of these items engaged (turned on).
    Turn them off and then install.
    It worked for me.
    p.s.
    I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit version) on an Toshiba Satellite
    with an AMD 64-bit processor, just incase any one was wondering.&quot; - Jeff_Wolfe - 04-04-2009<hr>Protection is up, UI is initializing&quot; hangup - for all4) Here is another approach/ solution provided by DRobison...
    Click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=86922
    and here &gt; http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...hread.id=86992
    Simple Two-Step Fix is below:
    Copy
    the file named vsdatant.sys from

C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs folder

to the

C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder
    Reboot your PC and everything should work normally.

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 07-07-2009 11:24 PM

smiileysa Guest

Default Re: Fix for "UI is up, protection is initializing" message for Toshiba Laptop owners

TomBarrister, you are the MAN!!!

copied the file 'vsdatant.sys' to the windows/system32/drivers file, deleted the atheros setup library file, rebooted and it worked like it should again. wonder why checkpoint can't fix this instead of letting all the people like us spend many, many hours and/or days trying to figure out their programing ineptness. apparently this problem has been around for a while and they haven't fixed it. and probably won't.

but thanks to people like you we can fix their problems. they probably aren't even ashamed!!

i was just about to give up and demand my money back cause i didn't want to spend the time trying to track the problem down. tired of doing that with too many programs. but thought i would check the forum first.

thanks again!!!

Message Edited by smiileysa on 07-17-2009 09:15 PM

elyas_machera Guest

I registered just to say this fix worked on my Toshiba laptop, although uninstalling &quot;Atheros Wi-Fi Protected Setup Library&quot; was a tiny pain with several slightly confusing messages. Just click &quot;yes&quot; when asked. Thanks so much for posting this solution!

Thread Information