Thread: Vista SP2 -- will 8.0.400 (ZA Free) fix 'blue screen' during start-up?

Hybrid View

baffin Guest

Default Vista SP2 -- will 8.0.400 (ZA Free) fix 'blue screen' during start-up?

Since updating Vista Home Prem to SP2 on May 27, my computer is pausing and sometimes hanging during boot I think as VSMON (part of ZoneAlarm Free) starts. Here's what I see during the boot sequence:

- the usual, then the Welcome screen
    - Welcome screen displays for while, disk activity is constant, then drops off to occasional
    - screen changes to empty blue
    - after a few seconds, the disk starts up again and my desktop appears -- usually
    - sometimes the blue screen persists, apparently indefinitely. If I press Ctl-alt-del and open Task Manager, under Services, I see 'vsmon' with status of 'Starting' (which I presume means my computer is hung waiting for vsmon to complete start-up). Restarting causes the same behaviour (good thing the probability of hanging is less than 50%).

If I use msconfig.exe to disable all non-Microsoft services, the same thing as above happens (however, I see ZoneAlarm starts in that state anyway). If I also tell ZA to not start, then the Welcome screen appears for only about 1 second and then my desktop appears -- wow, that was fast!

Apparently VSMON is holding up, and sometimes hanging, my boot sequence.

This started after my system was updated to SP2.

I'm running ZA 8.0.298.000. When I press the 'check for updates' button, I get 'nothing new' (even though the ZoneAlarm web pages say 8.0.400 has been released).

I tried downloading ZA Free from the ZoneAlarm web site to update to 8.0.400.... but got the same version (298) again.

I hope 8.0.400 fixes the problem described above. If so, how do I get it? (ZA Free)

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Vista SP2 -- will 8.0.400 (ZA Free) fix 'blue screen' during start-up?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Baffin wrote:
    I hope 8.0.400 fixes the problem described above. If so, how do I get it? (ZA Free)

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!no idea if there is an issue with VISTA SP2 and ZA. You are the first one to report it here.Usually the free version is released after 2-3 weeks the retail one.So, turn ON vista firewall or install another free firewall meanwhile you wait.Have you tried to remove ZA and reinstall ?Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information