Thread: Re: Upgrade 8.0.400.020 install all goofed up.

snagglegrain Guest

Default Re: Upgrade 8.0.400.020 install all goofed up.

Same thing happened to me.
    I'm wondering how widespread this "corruption" is?
    I thought ZAP was getting pretty adept at installing new versions over the top of existing ones.
    Now I have to uninstall and re-install.

And I bet the same thing will happen on my other machine too.
    Bummer.
    I'm not going to need too many more excuses to switch firewalls.

Hi! go to ZA overview --> Preferences --> UNcheck "load ZA at startup" --> Reboot --> Install the updateThis will avoid 99% of the problems that users experience due to theOS not releases the files to update.Shutting down running software also helps to make the OS more reactive and to facilitate a smooth update.As a good norm backup always your ZA settings. This way you will always able to go back to your initial setup whatever happens.To sum-up: Back ZA settings and shutdown ZA before updating. Two simple steps that will save you a lot of time. This is valid for ZA and for many other security tools.....and good luck with your search of another security tool, there isnothing worst then running a tool you are not comfortable with oris causing unnecessary stress to youCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

snagglegrain Guest

Thanks for the reply, fax.
    I'm searching the forum for how to back up ZAP settings. (Okay, found it!)
    If I'm not mistaken, ZoneLabs tells users it is okay to run the installer with the current version running, saying that the installer will shut down the TrueVector service.
    I believe I have upgraded in this manner before.
    As you know, some security applications now allow for this.
    That is why I did not shut down ZAP first, as you have recommended.
    I honestly don't think I dreamed it up all by myself, and I am not lazy about upgrading.
    I think the install over-the-top instructions I read somewhere said it was fine to proceed as I did... or maybe it was all a dream.
    I know I won't do it again.
    And thanks for the good wishes regarding another firewall.
    I already have it picked out, with free one year licenses, but I won't mention the name because I know the moderator on this forum dislikes any kind of expression of dissatisfaction with ZA and any mention of a competing product.
    Interestingly, I was asked to provide my password in order for the installer to shut down TrueVector.
    I did, and it was proceeding as normal with the install, but then I got an error message saying setup was unable to continue and I must manually stop
    TrueVector using the
    service manager.
    When I went into Services, TrueVector was already stopped.
    At that point, there was nothing else I could do... the damage, or corruption, had taken place.

Hi!I personally never shutdown ZA before updating... but I am running a Suite and no other security tools. Often other software running makes the OS unhooking slower or not possible and then you get the problem.Next time proceed as indicated and you will have no problems.Cheers,Fax

snagglegrain Guest

I now have v8.0.400.020 running on my two machines.
    I can tell you right now that the backup restore definitely did not go well on the uninstall/reinstall machine.
    I'd say about 25%-50% of the settings were restored.
    I basically had to start over, but at least I have my other computer to use as a guide for previous settings.
    Like I said, everything seems fine now.
    Far from a simple task, however, and I probably brought most of the trouble on myself.
    Your posted comments (*)
    in another thread
    about ZA not playing nicely with a great many other security apps is
    quite an eye-opener.
    Rarely, if ever, have I seen the extreme extent of ZA's incompatibility with other programs so openly displayed and alluded to.
    On one hand it is shocking to read, yet on another, it's
    refreshing to see such candor.
    I'd like to see ZA at some time in the future play nicer with others, simply because we don't all like
    suites.

(*) "ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, Avas t free, NOD, Kaspersky, Rising, PC doctor
    and many
    others. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZA is working as it should."

pairofhearts Guest

I have been using Nod32(Eset), WinPatrol and MBAM along side of ZAPro, (latest update always) for many, many, months now without a problem. I do a complete clean install with each new update, by downloading the newest version, disconnecting from the internet, shutting down all running apps in the task bar, installing ZAP, and manually give it permissions. A little more work but have NEVER had a problem with conflicts. (Yet)!

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Snagglegrain wrote:
    Your posted comments (*)in another threadabout ZA not playing nicely with a great many other security apps isquite an eye-opener.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!if you would look more carefully you will see that the sentence is used in cases of full suites. Running multiple tools covering the same areas may causeconflicts and mulfunctions. This is not necessarily evident but happening behind the scene. Overlapping security tools will fight for resources and access with the end result of less protection and increase time for troubleshooting.You are not using ZA Suite or ZA Extreme but ZAPRO. Potential conflicts may arise if you use at the same time HIPSin ZAPRO and in other tools or you are running two firewalls.Unless you have any further product related issues I will close this thread.Thank you.Fax

Thread Information