Thread: New install hopelessly hosed

larryv Guest

Default New install hopelessly hosed

I just renewed my 3user license for Zone Alarm extreme and downloaded (ver 8.400.020) latest version. I have two windows Vista machines, a desktop and a laptop. I installed on the desktop without any problems (OS is WinVista for business) .

When I installed on the laptop (OS is Win Vista Home Premium), after install and reboot the Zone Alarm icon on the system tray indicated that protection was on but UI was initializing.......but it never would complete and I was never able to open the user interface to set configuration.

I figured that the install was corrupted, so tried to do a reinstall, which failed because indicating that the True Vector service needed to be shut down (it already was disabled).

I then tried to uninstall the software, which also seemed fail. All of the Zone Labs items were removed from the programs menu, so I can't do another uninstall.

Now when I try to do an install of ver 8.400.020 it tells me that True Vector service is running and need to be shut down (it is not). I also tried going back to ver 8.298.035 but it won't install because it says ver 8.400.020 is installed. I did try going to Safe Mode and installing ver 8.400.020, but I still get the message about the True Vector service.

Seems I have created a **bleep** of a mess. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

larryv Guest

Default Solved

Thanks to GeorgeV and TomBarrister for their posts. It was a Toshiba laptop that initiated the problem (explained by Tom's post) and GeorgeV posted the cleanup solution.

Thanks to both of you

Default Re: Solved

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>LarryV wrote:
    Thanks to GeorgeV and TomBarrister for their posts. It was a Toshiba laptop that initiated the problem (explained by Tom's post) and GeorgeV posted the cleanup solution.

Thanks to both of you
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Your Welcome,Thank you for taking the time to post your progress report to the users of this Forum..Have a good day..Thank You---------------------------------------

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:986609991
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200906.6095
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.153.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.95.0-----------------------------------------------------------------
    2nd Computer WinXP SP3 32-Bit
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:986609991
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200906.6095
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 06-14-2009 09:06 PM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

akaoperator Guest

Default Re: Solved

What was the resolution? I had the same problem with my Gateway notebook (so it's not just limited to Toshiba's) running Vista Home Premium SP2. I ended up booting into safe mode, disabling the true vector service, rebooting into normal mode, and running the ZA removal tool. After rebooting again, the true vector service was no longer listed in Services, and the install went smoothly then.

Thread Information