Thread: Warning Message with WMI

topshelf Guest

Default Warning Message with WMI

I just updated yesterday,
    by way of a fresh install,
    to ZA Internet Security Suite
    I
    immediately get a message that Windows WMI wanted permission to "WMI is trying to open a raw disk device."
    For the present time I have not given permission but an wondering
    if this request,
    with the upgrade version 8.0.400.020,
    is OK.
    I did note while reviewing the,
    what's new,
    with the latest version of ZA Internet Security Suite that one of the new features is "Raw disk access detection."
    WMI has always shown up under "Programs" but never in the past has it request action/access.
    Thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Warning Message with WMI

Hi!if it is a fresh ZA installation it should be in autolearn mode and you should have not received that warning.Are you installing with default settings, or you have turned off autolearn?Upload WMI component to www.virustotal.com and check if it is clean. If it is and you trust window then you should allowaccess to your system bywindows componentsif they request so.Review information about WMI directly from Microsoft. For example, here:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...es/wmifaq.mspxCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

topshelf Guest

Thank you so much for a prompt response
    It was a fresh install, but I always turn off auto learn and go with manual.I went to www.virustotal.com
    and uploaded the WMI component, which is wmiprvse.exe. The scan was all clear except
    one, McAfee-GW-Edition
    which said it was "win 32.LooksLike.virut" There were 38 clear and the one McAfee which said bad.I scanned again with ZA and TrojanHunter all clear.What to do??
    Thanks

Hi!the best is to report the to mcafee here:http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat_cent...act_avert.htmland get confirmation that is a false positive.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

critterjoe Guest

For what it's worth, I recently installed ZA Pro 8.0.400.20, and also immediately got a popup about WMI wanting to access "a raw disk device"; I allowed it since it was a new install. I also got the same warning about my Norton AV also wanting to access a "raw disk device", so I allowed that, too. I can't make a recommendation, since I don't know which is correct, but I suspect it is something specific to the new versions. You'll have to make your decision based on the comfort level with your system. As long as you don't check the "always allow this type of activity" then you could try it both ways and see if it makes a difference. But for me, since it appears to be some new feature, I figure that WMI was already trying to do that in the past and was being allowed in old versions, so that was my thinking in allowing it.

Thread Information