Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm product management wants to hear from YOU!

Hybrid View

za_product_mgt Guest

Default ZoneAlarm product management wants to hear from YOU!

ZoneAlarm product management is looking for any information that may help us improve the product. We are also interested in what is going well for customers.

We are interested in anything you want to tell us,

Has anything about using (or installing) ZoneAlarm been frustrating for you?

What do you particularly like about your ZoneAlarm software, or why do you prefer it over other brands?

We will be reviewing your responses regularly, and may respond to you here, or---to get more in-depth may respond to some folks individually via their forum registration email address

Simply reply to this thread to share your opinions.

Thank you

Message Edited by ZA_Product_Mgt on 06-17-2009 02:27 PM

ems Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm product management wants to hear from YOU!

Hi,

I would be happy with not very much. Really.

I would be happy just by getting installed the new versions beyond 7.0.483.000: imposible to install them after and including version 8. I tried everything the gurus advised and everything failed to work, my windows XP sp3 crashes everytime I restart the PC inmediatelly after installing every new version you release including the last one 8.0.400.020.

The same symptoms with all the newer versions, etc. Just a pitty.

And my extended download license is coming to an end. Very sad. And pretty frustraiting.

ems

Message Edited by ems on 06-18-2009 03:06 AM

Message Edited by ems on 06-18-2009 03:08 AM

tafugate Guest

Default longtime zass user...

i've been using zonealarm's firewall since 4-something. and when zonealarm internet security suite came out, i started using that. the reason i've stuck with za for so long, is the quality of the individual components of the suite. last year, i started looking for an alternative, for no other reason than i've just not looked in several years, and wanted to see if za was still the best product for me. after trying a number of demo suites, i almost pulled the trigger on kaspersky. mostly because i liked the interface, powerful features, and za uses kaspersky's antivirus anyway. but what stopped me was the kaspersky antispam tool. i don't remember specifically what i didn't like about it, but it didn't measure up to mailsafe.

i'm not too thrilled with forcefield. my two browsers of choice are opera and the firefox nightlies (minefield), neither of which forcefield works with, and opera has built-in fraud detection. how it compares to forcefield technically, i don't know. but what i do know, is forcefield used to cause me problems with early versions of firefox. every day i was having to tweak something.

i would like to see zass, minus forcefield (unnecessary), maintain a small, unbloated footprint on my pc, while delivering the current complement of effective features. my needs are few. (8

pizzed Guest

Default Re: ZA 8.0.059.000 blocks Eclipse 3.3, have to disable ZA to start Eclipse, then turn on again

Windows XP Professional SP 3
    Intel 3.2 MHz
    2 GB memory

I am running eclipse 3.4
    Version: 3.4.1
    Build id: M20080911-1700

My solution to the problem was to revert to a previous version 6.5 of ZoneAlarm.
    Luckily, or rather with much experience in these matters, I had saved a backup image of my disks before installing SP3 and ZA 8, and in an hour I was up running.
    I believe spending 4-5 hours install, reinstall, and resetting the software was enough time to devote to the project. I spend the majority of my day developing applications using Eclipse IDE and I can't be without it. I have run Eclipse in a variety of OS and environments and never had anything close to this problem.

So, have I given up, You Bet, at least until someone can prove to me that I can run Eclipse IDE with ZA 8, and I don't envision ZA stepping up to the plate.

Lawrence

za_product_mgt Guest

Default Re: ZA 8.0.059.000 blocks Eclipse 3.3, have to disable ZA to start Eclipse, then turn on again

Thanks for letting us know about ZA and Eclipse conflicting. ZA is compatible with the latest version of Eclipse, but not older ones, unfortunately.

za_product_mgt Guest

This just in -- from another customer who had trouble with Eclipse 3.3 and ZA:
    "I ultimately resolved the issue by upgrading to Eclipse 3.4.2 (I had been trying to avoid the potential pain of changing my development environment). ZA can now apparently coexist with this clean install of Eclipse. I'm guessing I could have reinstalled 3.3 with a clean plugin setup and it probably would have worked, too."

za_product_mgt Guest

Default Re: longtime zass user...

Longtime zass user, it's good to hear from you.
    Can you tell me which of the individual ZA components you MOST value (you could name a few)?Thanks for the feedback about ForceField. The ZA Internet Security Suite does not include ForceField, though Extreme Security does. You said you want a small, unbloated footprint. Would you say you have that now, or are you saying that the footprint you have is too much?
    thanks

tafugate Guest

Default Re: longtime zass user...

this is great! i didn't expect individual responses.

i like the way the za internet security suite's interface integrates the inbound/outbound firewall, antivirus, and antispam. it was agnitum's **bleep** (funny. ya can't type 'o u t p o s t'? somebody needs to take a look at the censor bot) security suite pro i almost purchased last september (rather than kaspersky), but they had a poor antispam solution.

zass' footprint is exactly right for me the way it is. it does slow down boot up a tad, but i typically turn the pc on, and go off to poor (edit: oops, i meant 'pour'. i type too fast) a cup of coffee. pc is ready to roll when i get back to it (fascinates me how some people will sit and watch a pc boot). zass' learning feature does a great job of configuring the programs i use and websites i visit. occasionally, i'll have to tweak something, but i'm so familiar with the zass interface, i accomplish what i need to do as an afterthought.

my concern about footprint comes from the recent betas for extreme security. it seems development is centered on zaxs, and zass releases come out as a result of the zaxs' betas. almost like zass could be phased out. i've tried several of the zaxs betas, but i've ended up turning off features to get it back down to zass level.

thanks very much for listening. much appreciated.

<blockquote><hr>ZA_Product_Mgt wrote:
    Longtime zass user, it's good to hear from you.
    Can you tell me which of the individual ZA components you MOST value (you could name a few)?Thanks for the feedback about ForceField. The ZA Internet Security Suite does not include ForceField, though Extreme Security does. You said you want a small, unbloated footprint. Would you say you have that now, or are you saying that the footprint you have is too much?
    thanks
    <hr></blockquote>

Message Edited by tafugate on 06-20-2009 07:18 AM

za_product_mgt Guest

The inability to install is very disappointing and I'm sorry to hear it. I can say, at least, that fixing installation and upgrade issues is top priority in our current development. What you are describing typically happens if there are remnants of another antivirus program on your computer, but I assume you've already tried removing third party security/antivirus programs.

coisa Guest

FireFox 3.0.11 and ZA Extreme Problems

Installed ZAX at the end of April, after uninstalling a competitors product (using their uninstaller program) Had an unending series of problems trying to resolve them based on the advice of forum users, tech support (phone, email and live chat) to no avail. Please see my other posts for details

Tech support did not help solve the problem

Most of my issues have been resolved with the update to 8.0.4 - Windows Update Freezes, etc. (and using CCleaner on all profiles to clean up detritus left by the former programs in the registry)

Firefox issues remain.

1. Firefox Tools | Options | Security | Show Cookies always defaults to &quot;Until They Expire&quot; between sessions
    2. Clear options | Settings always uncheck &quot;Cookies&quot; and &quot;Offline Web Data&quot; between sessions
    3. The default web page always adds the &quot;FireFox has Been Updated Tab&quot;
    4. If I open a private browser window, close the original window first, and close the private browser last, ZA crashes.

The above behavior continues from the initial install

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information