Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to save settings upgrading from v6 to v8

thez Guest

Default Need to save settings upgrading from v6 to v8

There is no way I can let these settings go, they are far too extensive.

I didn't upgrade to v7 because when I tested it, v7 allowed internal applications to talk to the outside world by default-REGARDLESS of setting to the opposite in the configuration.

Waiting for v7 to be fixed, v8 was released. Installer complains about v6 being installed.

I just need a migration path, is all.

TIA!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Need to save settings upgrading from v6 to v8

Hi!
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>TheZ wrote:
    v7 allowed internal applications to talk to the outside world by default-REGARDLESS of setting to the opposite in the configuration.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This does not sound as a normal behaviour of ZA 7. Which application? If you are still using version 6.5 it means that your XP is also not updated. Since latest XP SP3fullypatcheddoes not work with ZA 6.5.My suggestion would be:1. Backup your ZASS 6.5 settings (ZA overview --&gt; preferences). Save the 6.5 installer and configuration in a safe place.2. Take also manually note of your main settings3. Remove ZASS 6.54. Update your OS with ALL SPs and patches (no use to update ZA if you are running an untrusted OS, it will not protect you)5. Remove all other security tools (use this to check all is really removed)6. Download, and install the new ZA 8, update antivirus/antispyware and not restore any settings.At this point everything should work correctly .... you should rund like this for several day at least.... the rest I don't know if it will work at all.7. Restore your ZA 6.5 settings.If you have problem you can remove ZA and go back to 6.5Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

<BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>TheZ wrote:
    v7 allowed internal applications to talk to the outside world by default-REGARDLESS of setting to the opposite in the configuration.

<HR>

I agree with Guru Fax..

Here is my 2 cents worth..

ZASS 7.0 for XP was designed to work with SP2,ZASS 8.0 for XP was designed to work Best with SP3However ZASS 8.0 will install on WinXP Sp2..There are numerous Security Leaks found in WinXP SP2 that were found and Fixed with SP3..

<B class=headblack2>System Requirements for ZoneAlarm Products:[/B]Vista (32-bit): <UL><LI>Pentium III 800 MHz or higher <LI>Minimum system RAM: 512 MB <LI>50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.</LI>[/list]Windows XP Operating System: <UL><LI>Pentium III 450 MHz or higher <LI>XP Service Packs 2 and 3 <LI>Minimum system RAM: 128 MB <LI>50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.</LI>[/list]NOTICE: No Security Software run on WinXP Sp2 can protect you from the Windows Security Flaws found in Windows SP2that were Fix with Windows SP3, until you upgrade to SP3....</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

tony_a Guest

I'm also moving from ZASS 6.5 to the latest version of ZAISS and doing my homework beforehand on the forums.

I've updated to SP3 successfully, and started to add all the security updates I'm missing.

Question 1:

Fax's statement &quot;Since latest XP SP3 fully patched does not work with ZA 6.5.&quot; has me questioning his advice to TheZ that he can revert to 6.5 if all the security updates to XP are installed? Exactly which/what XP security updates will prevent 6.5 from running after SP3 is installed? Currently, I'm still using 6.5 with SP3 without problems. Would it be wise to update 8.04 at my present security patch level, in case I need to revert to 6.5, and continue with the XP security updates if ZAISS installs correctly?

Question 2:

Why is it necessary to wait before importing 6.5 settings to 8.04? Are the 6.5 settings not compatible with 8.04? What is the danger?

Question 3:

Off topic, but is my current subscription license key for ZASS 6.5, which I renewed in Nov 2008, good for the latest version of ZAISS?

Thanks for the help.

Tony

Message Edited by Tony_A on 06-23-2009 06:16 PM

thez Guest

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. The jump to SP3 is one I dread. The first few tries it ended up locking everything up a few times/day.

The probs with v7 were with all new apps (one zASS did not already know about).

The problem with v6.5 is that (in an effort to force upgrade?) ZA/CP in their infinite wisdom stopped the app from recognizing new sites (Privacy).

No comment.

Hi!1. Considering that all versions than latest have been removed from ZA web pages the way back will not be possible unless you have with you the latest 7 version. This is the version that can still run with latest XP. But, if this is the situation...better to switch to something else than running an old security tool. Again, if you don't update your OS to SP3 and all security patches it not worth to update ZA. You are running an untrusted, vulnerable platform and no security tools can protect you enough. Why not changing to an alternative OS? Linux?2. Technically should work, however there have been several core chnages to the way ZA works that is higly reccomended to start clean.3. Re-newed directly via ZA web pages? Then yes, its valid. If not, you will get a new key from ZA customer support.Cheers,Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

tony_a Guest

Hello TheZ,

Installing SP3 was a bit scary for me too, but I think careful preparation made the jump successful. Here is what I did.

1. I really cleaned up my system. Uninstalled all un-used software, files from My Documents, Internet logs, Temp files, everything I knew I didn't really need. Ran the Windows cleanup utility (found under C:\ drive properties).

2. Ran my registry cleaner (Glarysoft Registry Repair 2.7, a free download from CNET) and cleaned out all the unused and leftover keys (check each key listed and be careful before letting the software repair your registry, the first time this software was run, it found hundreds of old keys, including the &quot;Run&quot; command key which I didn't want to have deleted).

3. Ran Chkdsk (C:\ drive properties again) to find and mark all the bad sectors.

4. Ran Defrag (C:\ drive properties again) to defrag and compress all files.

5. Ran Chkdsk again. Ran my registry cleaner again.

6. Disconnected from the internet.

7. Unchecked the box in ZA preferences to prevent it from loading on re-boot. Turned on the MS firewall.

8. Re-started my system. Connected to the Internet.

9. Using IE (version 6 in my case), signed into the MS Update site, and had my system scanned to see if I had the latest version of the update software (I didn't, and had to repeat this step twice to get fully updated). When my system was finally scanned for needed updates, the only update listed was SP3.

With my system clean, I was ready to download SP3 from the Windows Update site. It took two tries. The first time, the download failed, and checking the download log it appeared it was because of errors/delays in the internet link between the Update site and my computer, and the update software cancelled the download after four errors had occured. I waited a half hour and tried again and SP3 downloaded and installed without any problem.

Checking for needed updates again, the MS Update site listed 36 high priority updates, 2 optional, and 2 optional hardware updates. I didn't do any of these for the first couple of days.

10. Disconnected from the Internet, turned off the MS firewall, ran ZA from the Start&gt;All programs menu, checked the preference box to load ZA at startup.

11. Restarted my system, made sure ZA was working, connected to the internet, and ran though all my usual software making sure it all worked with SP3 installed - it did.

12. Re-connected to the MS Update site and carefully reviewed the updates listed for my system, hiding those I considered un-needed for my system because they didn't affect the software I was using. I installed the couple of security updates for SP3. I will gradually, two or three at a time, install the other XP security updates ensuring my system doesn't suffer any adverse effects from their installation. I don't think I will wait to install them all before installing the latest ZAISS.

Now I am preparing to upgrade to the latest ZAISS, reading all the forums and compiling information on un-installing, and installing the upgrade. In regard to the 6.5 setting, I have of course exported these to a saved file, but since the general advice seems that importing these again into the latest ZA is a bad idea, and there is no method to print all the settings out, I have taken the precaution of displaying the setting (firewall, Privacy, etc) and capturing the screen (I have a key on my keyboard that says &quot;Print Screen&quot; but actually copies it to the clipboard), loading the captured image into a graphics program and saving the image as a .jpg file. This will at least give me a record I can use to re-load my settings manually if needed.

I hope this helps you with your upgrade to SP3, and ZA.

Tony

thez Guest

What about what I think you're hinting at?

You know, grab v7... upgrade.. grab 8... upgrade?

I'm imaging my SP2 box now, hoping SP3 is stable now.

And I run linux on 1/2 my machines here.

Thanks!

pat

thez Guest

Awesome post, TOny! That took some time!

I will do as you suggest as soon as this Acronis image is done.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks!

pat

tony_a Guest

Hello,

I have successfully upgraded to ZAISS v8.4

My beginning configuration was XP Pro MCE, SP2 with ZASS 6.5

I had no other virus/spyware software on my system, and my computer was clean having eliminated all un-used applications, and files from my system. During my system clean-up over the preceeding week, I ran the Windows cleanup utility, Glarysoft Registry Repair utility, Dskchk, and Windows Defrag several times as I eliminated files and un-used applications. I was sure my system was as clean as possible.

I did a full image backup of my C:\ drive using Drive Snapshot.

After which I installed SP3 with no problems. I applied the MS updates for SP3, but not all the security updates I was still missing. I did another full image backup of my C:\ drive.

Prior to starting the ZAISS installation, I browsed the ZA forums and found three different, but similar sets of instruction concerning un-installing ZASS and installing ZAISS. I downloaded these, read them, re-read them, and finally, re-read them. I also downloaded the suggested un-installer: cpes_clean.exe; ccleaner.exe; and, AppRemover.exe. From the instructions it was clear that removal of ALL TRACES of ZASS, and ALL other malware detecting software was manditory. Two of the three instruction sets stated it was necessare to do most of the work in SAFE-MODE.

I never used the downloaded software, nor did any part of the un-install/install in Safe-Mode.

I examined my directories and files and found evidence of ZA in Program Files; Windows Internet Logs, Temp, Prefetch; and in my Documents and Settings Application Data, and Local Settings. I made note of these locations for future checking.

I downloaded the latest version of ZAISS (73+MB) for installation. I also signed in to My Account on the ZoneLabs website to confirm my license key, and the exact name and email address associated with my account.

With my preparations complete I began:

As I have only dial-up internet access (yes, I live in the back woods), I expected the day would be long so I started early around 08:30am.

I didn't feel there was any benefit in working in Safe Mode as two of the three instruction sets suggested, so I did my un-install/install from my normal system configuration, which has Administrator privileges.

I modified the un-install program properties to include the /clean switch as suggested, and ran the ZA uninstall program.

In examining my directory structure afterwards, I found a left-over ZoneAlarm folders in Program Files, Documents and Settings\&quot;user name&quot;\Local Settings; a vsmon.exe file in the prefetch folder, and files in my Temp folder. I deleted these using my file manager Q-Dir.

With ZASS gone, I used the Windows cleanup utility, Glarysoft Registry Repair (there were some left-over, or unused keys), Chkdsk, and Defrag to ensure my system was again clean.

I ran the ZAISS installer, took all the defaults, and the installation succeeded. Re-started my system, and ZAISS was installed and protecting my system.

A couple of items are worth noting about the install:

During the install, I was asked to enter my name and email address. I made sure the name and email address was the same as registered in My Account with Zone Labs.

Later in the installation process when the installer was about to check the application programs I had installed in order to set up Program parameters, I was told to ensure I was connected to the Internet, (which I wasn't) so I switched on the Windows Firewall and connected. This had the effect when I continued the ZAISS installation of allowing the installer to check with Zone Labs over the internet, find my registration, and insert my license key without my intervention.

As the installation appeared successful, I re-connected to the internet and tried out my e-mail client, Thunderbird, to see if I was connecting correctly to the internet. It worked fine. While I was doing this, I noticed the ZA update icon was showing, and ZA had automatically started to update the virus definitions.

I ran the Task Master and monitored the Networking Chart to keep track of the update.

The Virus update downloaded over 66.7MB before it completed. The Spyware update downloaded over 13.5MB. The downloads took about six hours, until after 05:00pm, and sometime during this period the Ultra-Deep scan ran, so that when the downloads completed, the scan mode had been re-set to Normal.

I tweeked a couple of scan parameters (schedule) and ran another scan. It took about 40 minutes on my machine. I took some time to view all the ZA windows before I called it a day. I left the automatic update period at the default 3 hours, to see how long the incremental updates took, and how they affected my system and dial-up use. I hope it is a lot quicker than the first set of updates.

I may post another message if anything significant happens in the next couple of weeks. For today, it appears my updates have been successful. I hope this record of my experience helps someone.

My ending configuration is XP Pro MCE SP3, ZAISS 8.0.400.020

Tony
    06:33pm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information