Thread: Services.exe high CPU

steveol Guest

Default Services.exe high CPU

I am running XP Pro SP3
    I was running CA eTrust 7.151
    I uninstalled eTrust and installed ZA Extreme Security trial.
    Since then, Services.exe has been using about 50% of the CPU
    Any suggestions on locating and resolving the apparent conflict?

Message Edited by steveol on 06-27-2009 07:58 AM

Default Re: Services.exe high CPU

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>steveol wrote:
    I am running XP Pro SP3I
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..1.) What Version and Type of ZoneAlarm are you using? (there are 4 types of ZoneAlarm)2.) is this a most Current Version of ZoneAlarm ? 8.0.400.020)3.) is this the English Version or other Language?

Please Right Click on the ZA Tray icon on the Lower Right and Click the "About" Option this will pop up a windows with all the Info about your Version Of ZA including the complete Version Number.. Click the "Copy to Clipboard" and Paste that information Here in the Forum by pressing the "CTRL-V" key..It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020

TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:987330900
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200906.6165
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

steveol Guest

Sorry.
    I sometimes suffer from premature postitude.
    For some teason, the tab key is submitting
    XP Pro SP3
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:987456454
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200906.6165
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.153.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.95.0

Message Edited by steveol on 06-27-2009 08:08 AM

Thank You..But that did provide much details?What's Conflicting with ZoneAlarm, or causing your problem..Disclaimer:

I know you think you understood what I wrote,
    But I'm not sure that what you think you read is what I meant.
    The views expressed here are not necessarily the views of those who disagree with me.
    Messages from this source have been known to be educational and/or
    cause strong emotions. Use with caution!
    Use of this message in a way not intended is strictly forbidden.
    Mixing of messages may be dangerous.
    All warranties and/or guarantees void if used in any way other than intended.

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 06-27-2009 10:16 AM
    GeorgeV

steveol Guest

I have no idea what is causing the conflict - or if it is a conflict
    My best guess is that some part of eTrust is not uninstalled, and there is some kind of
    a competing anti-virus conflict going on.
    At the current time both explorer.exe and services.exe are using 35-45% of the CPU, and ScanningProcess and LMonitor are using around 8.

It doesn't leave much processing power for what I want to do.
    Edit:I just killed the scan that was running, and that stopped explorer.exe and ScanningProcess.
    Services.exe is still in the 40-50% range, and LMonitor about 6%

Message Edited by steveol on 06-27-2009 08:35 AM

Thanks, That little bit of Information helps some..It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,NOTICE:Please note that ZASS and ZAXSdo not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled). To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programsand install them back once you see that ZA works as it should. For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotS&amp;D, PC tools Threat Fire, any otherAnti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...This is just my 2 cents worth,If your having problem installing ZA Anti-Virus or ZA Security Suiteor ZA Extreme Security and have ever uninstalleda previous installation of Norton Systemworks or Norton AntiVirus, or Norton Security Suite 2008/2009 or Norton 360 or any McAfee Toolswhen you use ADD/Remove to Remove any of Symantec Norton utilities, especially their Norton Anti-Virus program, they still leave lots of traces behind after the "UNINSTALL"Fortunately SYMANTEC has a Fix for this problem on the Symantec web site called "NORTON REMOVAL TOOL" that does a better job of REMOVING ALL traces of Norton Symantec files..here is the Link to the Symantec Norton Removal Tool..http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...ent&amp;seg=hmHere is the Link to the McAfee Removal Tool..http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe<H5>Affected Operating Systems: </H5><UL><LI>Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional <LI>Microsoft Windows XP Professional <LI>Microsoft Windows XP Home <LI>Microsoft Windows Vista </LI>[/list]

NOTE: This tool is not compatible with Microsoft Windows 98 or ME.******** Important Notice ******** http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o..._1readthis.gifIfyou have already installedAny Version of ZoneAlarm, there are several things you need to do, after you have removed all traces of Norton and Symantec with the (Norton Removal Tool) , before you install your New ZAFree 8.0.400.020, ZAPro, ZAAV orSecurity Suite, ZAX8.0.400.020 or ZoneAlarm Free 7.1.254.000 for Vista or 8.0.298.000 or 8.0.400.20 for Paid version of ZA for Vista Sp1 or SP2.************************************************** ************1.) I recommend downloading a FREETrash cleaner called ccleaner.exe from www.ccleaner.com and install it and run it with the default setting
    to clean out all junk from your Cashe, Temp Files and Recycle bin, even a good Registry cleaner.. Here is an alternate Site for a Slim version of ccleaner without the Yahoo Tool-bar.. http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...bar_d4191.html******** Important Notice ******** http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o..._1readthis.gif2.) Now go into ZA Menu by double clicking on the ZA Tray icon and click on Overview, click on Preferences
    and Uncheck "Load ZA**** on Startup", then Reboot your computer.. this will remove TrueVector,vsmon.exe and other ZA drivers from memory, so that they will not conflict with the install of the New ZAFree, ZAPro, ZAAV orSecurity Suite, and also the major reason for TrueVector Errors on new installs..The other major cause of Install failure and True Vector errors is Conflict with 3rd party Security programs running during ZA install, like Webroot Spysweeper, Spyware Doctor, Bit Defender Conflicts because it has many of the features of ZASS..Spyware Doctor's Process Guard does not play nice with ZA..3.) As a General Rule to avoid Conflict you should Only run one Firewall and one Anti-Virus on the same computer..
    You can run Multiple Anti-Spyware programs, as long as the Anti-Spyware does not include some firewall or Anti-Virus Function to Conflict with ZA..as far as the WindowsXP firewall, ZA by default on install will turn OFF the Windows one way Firewall..Don't worry if Windows Security Center pops up a warning that it does not recognize ZA Firewall..
    There is a fix for that Cosmetic flaw in windows..4.)
    Click on Program Control, this will display a new page, at the TOP of that page Click the "Program" tab
    That will open a new page.. on the left is the names of the files and programs being controlled..Look down the list for.. (the Program that your having a problem with)
    in the "Trusted Level"
    Column of ( Your Program ) LEFT Click and Click on SUPER, this will place 3 Green Bars in that Column
    The next Column is "ACCESS" Left Click in that Column and change Red X's to Green Check marks for "Trusted" and "Internet" access
    Change all other Marks on that Line to "?" Question Marks for Ask..Now you should not have anymore problem with (Your Program)Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (Green Check Marks):a.) All Microsoft wand Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..
    b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) Also Grant this Trusted Server Rights
    c.) IE Crash Detection
    d.) Internet Explorer or FireFox
    e.) Malicious Software Removal Tool
    f.) True Vector Service (If it is listed)
    g.) Zone Alarm Client
    h.) Zone Alarm Updating Client
    i.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet and Send Mail all need Green check Marks..
    GeorgeV

Charles_B Guest

steveol wrote :

My best guess is that some part of eTrust is not uninstalled, and there is some kind of a competing anti-virus conflict going on.

Charle_B wrote :

This is just a suggestion.

Option1: Select Your Version and Product : Product in your case select Anti-Virus.

Looks like there is also a removal tool if Add and Remove didn't go well.

http://cainternetsecurity.net/Suppor....aspx?tabid=83

Maybe this will help to remove remnants from CA eTrust 7.151.I would also run CCleaner to clean registry.

You could also try this : AppRemover enables you to thoroughly uninstall security applications such as antivirus and antispyware from your computer.

http://www.appremover.com/

The complete support charts are listed and updated with each new release.

http://www.appremover.com/supported.html

Have a nice Day

Message Edited by Charles_B on 06-27-2009 02:10 PM

Thread Information