Thread: XP failing to start after ZASS installation

bedriy_walton Guest

Default XP failing to start after ZASS installation

After
    installing ZoneAlarm Security Suite 8, I restart the computer, using the ZASS dialog for restart. PC goes into normal boot screen with loader. Once XP Pro has loaded the files necessary for loading, prior to the blue Welcome screen, the PC hangs on the black screen and does not go any further. I then have to restart the computer, go into Safe Mode, uninstall ZASS and then Windows will boot normally. I have gone as far as reformatted the hard drive, reinstalled Windows and ZASS 8 with the same issue. All of the drivers have been updated to the latest drivers provided by the manufacturers. I have installed this same version on another PC that contains the same motherboard, processor and RAM, as well as a similar display adapter, without needing to reinstall Windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,Jonathan

System ConfigurationMB: AsRock P4i6GProcessor: Intel P4 3.0GHzRAM: 2046MB RAMDisplay: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GSAudio: Creative SB Audigy 4Tuner: ATI TV Wonder ProCD/DVD-ROM 1: Samsung SH-S182DCD/DVD-ROM 2: Samsung SH-S182MKeyboard: MS Wireless MultiMedia Keyboard 1.1Mouse: Wireless Optical MouseWebCam: Logitech Communicate STXUSB Multi-Card Reader USB 2.0USB 4 Port HubWacom Graphire Tablet

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: XP failing to start after ZASS installation

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..It looks like your Have Corrupted your Installed ZA files or Some other Software or Driver is Conflicting with ZoneAlarm Security Suite ..I have seen reports of some Features of some versions of NVIDIA drivers may conflict with ZoneAlarm..You may need to Contact ZoneAlarm Tech Support Free of charge as aLicensed User..Technical Support Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 8am-5:30pm PSTTry this First: The simplest procedure is to :1.Download the Latestinstallerpreferably with IE Browserand no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, BitTorrent) (MultiPlatform,installer will install on Both WinXP and Vista)ZASS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html2. On your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview --> Preferences tab)3. Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here > http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exeSave to desktop, right click and "run as administrator"This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions.
    (you can un-install without net connections)5.) Install the new update (clean or upgrade) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..NOTICE:Please note that ZASS and ZAXSdo not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled). To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programsand install them back once you see that ZA works as it should. For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotS&D, PC tools Threat Fire, any otherAnti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...================================================== ====If that does not help, then as a Licensed user of ZoneAlarm you cancontact Checkpoint Tech Support Free of charge;Try the Live Chat mode durring Normal Business hoursLive Chat mode : http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htmCustomer Service www.zonealarm.com/csformZA Tech Support (Requires Valid ZA License Key) www.zonealarm.com/tsform=================================================P lease post back with your progress report..--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:987527502
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200906.6165
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bedriy_walton Guest

Default BootSkin & ZASS 8 caused XP Pro SP3 to fail on restart

This post might be relevant to anyone with any of the ZASS version 8 products and Stardock's BootSkin version 1.0.0.0, as I have tried a few versions of ZASS 8 while attempting to troubleshoot. Please note that this worked for me, but may not work for everybody. I have included tech notes that I received below as well, which might help others in their pursuit of resolving ZASS installation issues.
    After chatting with tech support, following their directions, as posted below, and having my chat session prematurely ended by a tech, I removed all hardware from the PC, expect for nVidia display adapter and the hard drive, and it still failed to boot with ZoneAlarm Security Suite installed. So I reinstalled all hardware, reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows Pro with SP3 slipstreamed. Upon completion of Windows installation, I installed the nVidia drivers, which according to tech support the only issue that nVidia may cause is if there are additional security related software installed as well (see tech notes below), and the audio drivers. I then installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite 8.0.400.020, restarted the computer and there were no issues. So I set a restore point and began installing each driver, followed by restart even if not prompted, then a restore point. Once the drivers were completely installed I began installing the software, once again restarting after each installation and setting a restore point. Once Stardock's BootSkin file version 1.0.0.0 was installed and the system restarted I saw the boot screen, with the scrolling bar, then when it went to the black screen, just before the Welcome screen, the system froze. I went into Safe Mode, went to the last restore point and continued installing the software, minus BootSkin. I can now say that my HTPC is finally back up and running with all of the software that was installed prior to this ordeal, minus BootSkin, and ZASS 8.0.400.020 is successfully running.

<div align="center">- Tech Notes -
    Please note that these are the suggestions and information that I received in regards to my issue; however, they may not pertain to your ZASS installation issue.

- Excerpts from first chat -
    Tech Support: Was there any other security software installed on this system? Also, the affected machine, does it have an NVidia card, or is this the machine with the ATI card you mentioned?
    Self: Only security is Windows Firewall. Both PCs have nVidia display adapters, the one that works is 7800 and the non-working is 7600. The one that doesn't work also has the ATI TV Wonder Pro (TV Tuner).
    Tech Support: I know in some cases NVidia installs some of their own security programs, I think it is called Nvidia Network Access Manager or Intelligent Application Manager. Do you know if you have anything like that installed?
    Self: No idea, I've just always done the default settings when installing the display drivers, and that's in regards to both PCs. How would I check for that?
    Tech Support: If these programs are installed, they should be listed under the Add/Remove Programs area
    Self: Nope, only the nVidia drivers, all other programs are ones that should be there.
    Tech Support: Let's try the following:
    Tech Support: Please ensure that you have all current Windows updates installed on the system from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com ; especially the critical updates (both Express and Custom).
    Tech Support: Then, please clean your Windows startup programs by following the directions below.
    Tech Support: 1.) Click Start -&gt; Run
    Tech Support: 2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    Tech Support: 3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    Tech Support: 4.) Remove the checks from everything
    Tech Support: 5.) Click the Service Tab
    Tech Support: 6.) Place a check in &quot;Hide All Microsoft Services&quot;
    Tech Support: 7.) Now remove checks from everything and click OK.
    Tech Support: 8.) Restart your computer
    Tech Support: NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the General tab if you need to.
    Tech Support: Next, run the ZoneAlarm universal uninstaller found at the link below. This tool will automatically remove all ZoneAlarm data from your computer:
    Tech Support: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe
    Tech Support: When the download box pops up, choose SAVE. In the next box choose Save to Desktop then run the file from there and follow the on screen prompts to complete the uninstall. Be sure to restart your computer when prompted.
    Tech Support: Then try installing ZoneAlarm again:
    Tech Support: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...400_020_en.exe

- Excerpts from second chat -

Tech Support: If possible, first try to run the universal uninstaller found at the link below. This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm data from your computer: When the download box pops up, choose Save, in the next box choose Save to Desktop. Restart the computer before running the tool.
    Tech Support: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe
    Tech Support: Then try re-installing ZoneAlarm again
    Tech Support: If this tool fails for any reason, or if you want to ensure that all ZoneAlarm files were removed from the system, continue with the steps below. Please make sure that you have the latest version downloaded from the link above first.
    Tech Support: 01.) Restart your computer
    Tech Support: 02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep tapping the &quot;F8&quot; key (at the top of your keyboard)
    Tech Support: 03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press Enter
    Tech Support: 04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you get a help and support window, close this.
    Tech Support: 05.) Once you are at the desktop, Click Start, My Computer
    Tech Support: 06.) Click Tools, Folder Options, View Tab
    Tech Support: 07.) Place a dot next to &quot;Show Hidden Files and Folders&quot;
    Tech Support: 08.) Remove the check from &quot;Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)&quot;
    Tech Support: 09.) Choose Yes to the warning
    Tech Support: 10.) Click OK
    Tech Support: 11.) Double click C:
    Tech Support: Note: In the future steps if you do not see any files or folders, please click the &quot;Show Files&quot; link to view them.
    Tech Support: 12.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    Tech Support: 13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder (if present), click Delete, and choose Yes
    Tech Support: NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs -&gt; ZoneAlarm folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as possible.
    Tech Support: 14.) Close this window
    Tech Support: 15.) Click Start, My Computer
    Tech Support: 16.) Double Click the C:
    Tech Support: 17.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may also be WinNT)
    Tech Support: 18.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    Tech Support: 19.) Double Click the System32 Folder
    Tech Support: 20.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder (if present), click Delete, and choose Yes
    Tech Support: NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as possible.
    Tech Support: 21.) Locate and delete the following files in the System32 folder if they are present:
    Tech Support: - vsconfig.xml
    Tech Support: - vsdata.dll
    Tech Support: - vsdata95.vxd
    Tech Support: - vsdatant.sys
    Tech Support: - vsinit.dll
    Tech Support: - vsmonapi.dll
    Tech Support: - vspubapi.dll
    Tech Support: - vsregexp.dll
    Tech Support: - vsutil.dll
    Tech Support: - vswmi.dll
    Tech Support: - vsxml.dll
    Tech Support: - zlcomm.dll
    Tech Support: - zlcommdb.dll
    Tech Support: - **bleep**.dat
    Tech Support: - zpeng24.dll or zpeng25.dll
    Tech Support: 22.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.
    Tech Support: - Go to Start -&gt; Run
    Tech Support: - Type %temp% and click OK
    Tech Support: - Select all of these files and delete them
    Tech Support: 23.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below (Windows XP only).
    Tech Support: - Go to Start -&gt; Run
    Tech Support: - Type Prefetch and click OK
    Tech Support: - Select all of these files and delete them
    Tech Support: 24.) Remove the necessary registry entries:
    Tech Support: *Important Advisory: Deleting registry entries incorrectly may cause serious problems to your operating system, which may necessitate the need to reinstall it. Please make sure you are able to perform these deletions correctly before you decide to edit the entries. If you are not sure, you should seek help from someone who is familiar with editing the registry.
    Tech Support: For information about how to edit the registry in Windows, from your desktop, click Start -&gt; Run -&gt; and type regedit. Click on Help -&gt; Help Topics. Under the Contents tab, click Change Keys and Values (this may be found under the How to... section).
    Tech Support: Also, you should always make a backup of the registry before editing it. You can find this in the same section of the Help files. Tech Support: To remove the needed registry entries, go to Start -&gt; Run and type in regedit. Choose OK, and use the folders on the left side of the Registry Editor window to navigate to the specified directories below. Note that you will remove the entire folder specified (eg, Zone Labs, vsmon, vsdatant):
    Tech Support: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs
    Tech Support: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsmon
    Tech Support: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsdatant
    Tech Support: 25.) Close this window, then empty your recycle bin.
    Tech Support: 26.) Restart the computer.
    Tech Support: 27.) Try to install the latest version again
    Tech Support: NOTE - Links to sites other than ZoneAlarm.com are provided for the convenience of our users. ZoneAlarm does not provide, and is not responsible for, the content users may find on such sites.

Default Re: BootSkin & ZASS 8 caused XP Pro SP3 to fail on restart

Thank you for your Feedback and the Progress report..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information