Thread: critical update that provides additional protection for Conficker virus?

rudys Guest

Default critical update that provides additional protection for Conficker virus?

I have been running Zone Alarm Security Suite for quite a few years ( 12) and updated fairly regularly. I was running version 7.0.483 and went ahead with the new version 8 when it came out. Everyone seemed to be having troubles with it at the time and were recommending people to go back to version 7 til it was fixed. I really like version 7 and have just stayed with 7.0.483 for all this time.
    Today I got a notice that there was a critical security update to my version.
    Will it change it to version 8 or can I still run this version of 7.0.483 with the update?

I would like to stay with 7 if I can,
    What do you people recommend?

Many thanks!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: critical update that provides additional protection for Conficker virus?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>rudys wrote:
    I have been running Zone Alarm Security Suite for quite a few years ( 12) and updated fairly regularly. I was running version 7.0.483 and went ahead with the new version 8 when it came out. Everyone seemed to be having troubles with it at the time and were recommending people to go back to version 7 til it was fixed. I really like version 7 and have just stayed with 7.0.483 for all this time.
    Today I got a notice that there was a critical security update to my version.
    Will it change it to version 8 or can I still run this version of 7.0.483 with the update?

I would like to stay with 7 if I can,
    What do you people recommend?

Many thanks!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Here is my two cents worth..There are Over 60 Million Users of ZoneAlarm World Wide.. The vast majority of Users have no problems with ZoneAlarm..This User Forum exist to help the Few Users who encounter a problem and need to be guided in the right direction by Other more Experienced Users..ZASS 7.0 for XP was designed to work with SP2,ZASS 8.0 for XP was designed to work Best with SP3However ZASS 8.0 will install on WinXP Sp2..There are numerous Security Leaks found in WinXP SP2 that were found and Fixed with SP3..

<B class=headblack2>System Requirements for ZoneAlarm Products:[/B]Vista (32-bit): <UL><LI>Pentium III 800 MHz or higher <LI>Minimum system RAM: 512 MB <LI>50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.</LI>[/list]Windows XP Operating System: <UL><LI>Pentium III 450 MHz or higher <LI>XP Service Packs 2 and 3 <LI>Minimum system RAM: 128 MB <LI>50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.</LI>[/list]NOTICE: No Security Software run on WinXP Sp2 can protect you from the Windows Security Flaws found in Windows SP2that were Fix with Windows SP3, until you upgrade to SP3....=======================If you are still unsure about upgrading to ZA Security Suite 8.0.400.020,I recommend that you Contact CheckPoint Customer Service LIVE Chat for Free and discuss you options with them via Live Chat mode..Live Chat mode : http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htmCustomer Service www.zonealarm.com/csformZA Tech Support (Requires Valid ZA License Key) www.zonealarm.com/tsform
    =================Please post back here with what you find out..Thank you..--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:987527502
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200906.6165
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

rudys Guest

Default Re: critical update that provides additional protection for Conficker virus?

Thanks George,
    I do have Sp3 on Win XP Pro.
    Does that change anything for me?

Thanks George,
    I do have Sp3 on Win XP Pro.
    Does that change anything for me?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I would say Yes.. MicroSoft SP3 and the 100 addition Updates since SP3, Only protect Windows XP for Windows Related attacts ans Windows Firewall ONLY trys to block INBOUND Attacks, and does not Monitor OUTBOUND ET-Phone home attempts once you are infected..However it is your computer and you have the right to contenue using old outdate security Software if you want to..Every day, Hackers and Virus/Spyware creators improve their product to defeat, or find new ways to bypass Security Software , that is why MicroSoft and Security Software like ZoneAlarmhaving toconstantly Evolve and make changes and improvements to their product.. (If you don't keep up, your Computer Security will fall behind and soon become in-effective)If you choose to to Update your Security Program, then your in effect leaving your computer open for infection..Every week or two there are 100's of new Virus, Trojans, keyloggers etc created, and Only the Latest current Release of any Brand of Security Software can Hope to try to protect the computers they are installed on..==================If you want a Better answer, Please Contact ZoneAlarm Customer Service LIVE CHAT mode..---------------------------------------

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:987596582
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.153.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.95.0
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    2nd Computer WinXP SP3 32-Bit
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020

Anti-virus signature DAT file version:987596582
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV

rudys Guest

Thanks,
    Looks like I better update. I am sure version 8 has gone thru a lot of changes since 8.0.015 and the issues that were happening then,
    I will give it a try.

Thanks again for your time.

Thanks,
    Looks like I better update. I am sure version 8 has gone thru a lot of changes since 8.0.015 and the issues that were happening then,
    I will give it a try.

Thanks again for your time.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yep..<P class=headblack2><A id=8.0.400.020 name=8.0.400.020 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 8.0.400.020<UL class=body><LI>Firewall Enhancements for the High level setting: <UL class=body><LI>Service Control Manager (SCM) monitoring to catch drivers being launched <LI>Raw disk access detection added to catch malware that tries to open the kernel memory directly </LI>[/list]<LI>Installation: <UL class=body><LI>Cleaner uninstall <LI>Automated Windows XP Service Pack 2 upgrade option <LI>Faster upgrade installations <LI>Vista Service Pack 2 support </LI>[/list]<LI>Fixed Issues: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed issue where Antivirus could not be enabled. <LI>Incompatibility issues with Remote Desktop connections have been resolved. <LI>Incompatibility issues with Cisco VPN have been resolved. </LI>[/list]<LI>Other Enhancements: <UL class=body><LI>Email security now supports 64bit Vista, IMAP accounts and the Windows Mail client <LI>Stability and performance improvements </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=8.0.298.035 name=8.0.298.035 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 8.0.298.035<UL class=body><LI>Added extra Conficker worm detection. </LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=8.0.059.000 name=8.0.059.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 8.0.059.000<UL class=body><LI>Performance improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Improved system boot time <LI>Improved start-up time after hibernation and sleep mode </LI>[/list]<LI>Anti-virus improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed automatic antivirus/antispyware update setting not saving in Vista (ZoneAlarm Antivirus and Internet Security Suite) <LI>Fixed view update not opening the update dialog (ZoneAlarm Antivirus and Internet Security Suite) </LI>[/list]<LI>Compatibility and Stability improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed compatibility issue with Microsoft VPN <LI>Fixed occasional crashes in vsmon engine <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during shutdown </LI>[/list]<LI>Various other improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Various install and upgrade improvements <LI>Two security enhancements </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=8.0.020.000 name=8.0.020.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 8.0.020.000<UL class=body><LI>Fixed compatibility issue with Network Magic and networking software that comes with certain brands of routers </LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=8.0.015.000 name=8.0.015.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 8.0.015.000<UL class=body><LI>Security improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Many Firewall/OSFirewall improvements stop more attacks, pass leak tests <LI>Enhanced self-protection. More hardening and other self-protection added to withstand an onslaught of attacks ("stability under fire") <LI>Early boot protection - new icon with a special tooltip now appears sooner during start-up (though security is active even before the icon shows). <LI>Enhanced: Root-kit protection within OSFirewall blocks more threats <LI>New daily credit monitoring - monitors your credit reports daily with email alerts and reports; notifies you if there have been changes because these are often an indication of identity theft. <LI>Newly updated Identity Protection Center makes it easier for you to protect your identity in the physical world too. <LI>Various antivirus and anti-spyware improvements. </LI>[/list]<LI>Performance improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Anti-virus: Scan modes added so you only scan what you need, increasing scan speed by 50% while still providing superior protection <LI>Improved reboot time, login time, session start, UI loading, various other performance improvements throughout the product. </LI>[/list]<LI>Ease-of-use improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New User Interface <LI>One-click Fix-it button lets you fix issues instantly <LI>Improvements in Smart Defense: Millions of applications have security access automatically pre-set so the user doesn t have to set them </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.483.000 name=7.0.483.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.483.000<P class=headblack2>================================= ==============The simplest procedure is to :1.Download the Latestinstallerpreferably with IE Browserand no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, BitTorrent) (MultiPlatform,installer will install on Both WinXP and Vista)ZASS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html2. On your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview --&gt; Preferences tab)3. Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here &gt; http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exeSave to desktop, right click and "run as administrator"This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions.
    (you can un-install without net connections)5.) Install the new update (clean or upgrade) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..NOTICE:Please note that ZASS and ZAXSdo not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled). To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programsand install them back once you see that ZA works as it should. For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotS&amp;D, PC tools Threat Fire, any otherAnti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...<P class=headblack2>
    GeorgeV

garywa Guest

Just to add my 2 cents, like you, I am also running WinXP Pro SP3 with all critical updates on 2 PCs, a desktop and a laptop.
    I also stayed with ZA ver 7.0.483 for some time after ver 8.x first came out because of all the problems I read about here on the forums.
    Finally, in Feb 2009, I upgraded both PCs to ver 8.0.059 and didn't have a problem.
    Since that time I have upgraded to each new release of ver 8.x, including the most recent version, again, without a problem on either PC.
    <blockquote>ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:987654788
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429</blockquote>
    The only thing I can tell you is that when I made the first jump from ver 7.x to ver 8.x, I uninstalled ver 7.x using the clean switch to make sure I removed all traces of that version before doing a clean install of ver 8.x.
    I may not have been necessary, but I just wanted to be sure.
    These were the instruction I received from ZA tech support to uninstall the current version.
    They worked percectly:
    <blockquote>Do a special uninstall of your ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

IMPORTANT - If you have a Cisco VPN client installed, you must first uninstall the VPN client, then follow the instructions below, and reinstall the Cisco VPN client again afterwards. This procedure will remove all traces of the TrueVector service, which was incorporated by Cisco into the VPN software.

NOTE: If you wish to keep your settings, create a Backup from Overview -&gt; Preferences before starting, and then Restore afterwards.

01.) Right click the ZA icon (if present) and choose shut down
    02.) Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; ZoneAlarm
    03.) RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm Security, then select Properties
    04.) Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):

&quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot;

Change it to:

&quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot; /clean

(add a space and then the /clean)

05.) Click Apply, then OK to save the new command line.
    06.) Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; ZoneAlarm -&gt; Uninstall ZoneAlarm Security
    07.) Click Uninstall to run the uninstaller, and choose OK or yes to any security alerts that pop up.
    08.) Say Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files.
    09.) Reboot when prompted
    10.) Go to Start -&gt; My Computer (XP) or open My Computer from your desktop.
    11.) Double click the C: drive
    12.) Double click the Windows folder (it may also be called WINNT in some cases)
    13.) Locate and delete the Internet Logs folder here
    14.) Double click the System32 folder
    15.) Locate and delete the Zone Labs folder here (if present)
    16.) Close this window
    17.) Clear your Windows temporary file cache by following the steps below:

- Go to Start -&gt; Run
    - Type %temp% and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them
    - Empty your recycle bin

18.) Click on your saved installation file (on your desktop) and follow the instructions through to re-install the software.
    </blockquote>

Default Re: critical update that provides additional protection for Conficker virus? RESOLVED

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>garywa wrote:
    Just to add my 2 cents, like you, I am also running WinXP Pro SP3 with all critical updates on 2 PCs, a desktop and a laptop. I also stayed with ZA ver 7.0.483 for some time after ver 8.x first came out because of all the problems I read about here on the forums. Finally, in Feb 2009, I upgraded both PCs to ver 8.0.059 and didn't have a problem. Since that time I have upgraded to each new release of ver 8.x, including the most recent version, again, without a problem on either PC.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Progress Report..

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 07-01-2009 09:57 AM
    GeorgeV

Thread Information