Thread: Re: Latest Free Zonelabs 7 Update for Win2000 Final Release

druw Guest

Angry Re: Latest Free Zonelabs 7 Update for Win2000 Final Release

I'm still running Win2000 and will probably continue to as long as I can (object to Bill Gates snooping around on my HD or requireing contact w/MS to use an OS). I'm presently building three new desktops (including a media server and backup system) that will -- for now, anyway -- be running Win2000 Pro, SP4.

Accordingly, I'm looking for a reputable source for a clean download for the complete file -- clean install, last, fully fixed, version of Free ZoneAlarm that will function as well on these three computers -- as my previous antiquated ZA version has for several years now.

GeorgeV included a download link on a previous post on this subject last year (2008) but that link now leads only to a version history page and only offers a download link for version 8.0 -- that will not work on Win2000 (tried it and couldn't install it).

Any and help or suggetions would be appreciated.

Druw

Default Re: Latest Free Zonelabs 7 Update for Win2000 Final Release

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>druw wrote:
    I'm still running Win2000 and will probably continue to as long as I can (object to Bill Gates snooping around on my HD or requireing contact w/MS to use an OS). I'm presently building three new desktops (including a media server and backup system) that will -- for now, anyway -- be running Win2000 Pro, SP4.

Accordingly, I'm looking for a reputable source for a clean download for the complete file -- clean install, last, fully fixed, version of Free ZoneAlarm that will function as well on these three computers -- as my previous antiquated ZA version has for several years now.

GeorgeV included a download link on a previous post on this subject last year (2008) but that link now leads only to a version history page and only offers a download link for version 8.0 -- that will not work on Win2000 (tried it and couldn't install it).

Druw
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I think the Last Version of ZoneAlarm that Supported Windows 2000 was Version 7.0Here is the official statement from ZoneAlarm on discontinuing support for 98/ME and 2000operating systems.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 width="80%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=headblack2 vAlign=top width="1%" noWrap>Windows 2000</TD><TD class=body vAlign=top width="99%"><B class=headblack2>Support Discontinued[/B]

In 2005, Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 2000. In 2010, Microsoft will end extended support for Windows 2000, which will make this operating system less secure and increasingly prone to hacking exploits. (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sup...ofsupport.mspx).

As a result, Check Point will cease to support Windows 2000 with the introduction of our version 8.0 ZoneAlarm family of products including ZoneAlarm
    Internet Security Suite 2009, ZoneAlarm
    Pro, ZoneAlarm
    Antivirus, ZoneAlarm
    Anti-Spyware, and ZoneAlarm

Note about pre-8.0 products: <UL><LI>Pre-8.0 products will continue to run on the Windows 2000 operating system and receive signature updates such as virus and spyware signatures. However, there will be new and advanced protection features in post-8.0 ZoneAlarm products that will not be added to pre-8.0 products. ZoneAlarm strongly recommends upgrading to a supported and current version of the Windows operating system.</LI>[/list]ZoneAlarm may end services to pre-8.0 products at any time. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=headblack2 vAlign=top width="1%" noWrap>Windows 98se/ME</TD><TD class=body vAlign=top width="99%">

<B class=headblack2>Support Discontinued[/B]
    On July 11, 2006, Microsoft will end support for Windows 98, 98SE and Me, which will have the resulting effect of making these operating systems less secure (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sup...ofsupport.mspx). Windows 98/Me are older operating systems, and therefore inherently more vulnerable to attacks than newer operating systems. Now that Microsoft will no longer provide security updates to this operating system it will become increasingly prone to security vulnerabilities.

<B class=headblack2><B class=headblack2>Accordingly, Check Point will cease to support Windows 98/98SE/Me with the introduction of our version 6.5 ZoneAlarm family of products[/B] including ZoneAlarm
    Internet Security Suite, ZoneAlarm
    Pro, ZoneAlarm
    Antivirus, ZoneAlarm
    .[/B]<P class=headblack2>Note about pre-6.5 products:<UL class=body><LI>Pre-6.5 products will continue to run on the Windows 98/98SE/Me operating system. However, there are a few new and advanced protection features in ZoneAlarm products that will not run due to technical limitations of this operating system. ZoneAlarm strongly recommends upgrading to a supported and current version of the Windows operating system. <LI>ZoneAlarm may end services to pre-6.5 products at any time. </LI>[/list]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

---------------------------------------

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:987596582
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200906.6165
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.153.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.95.0
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    2nd Computer WinXP SP3 32-Bit
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 06-29-2009 04:12 PM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

druw Guest

<blockquote><hr>GeorgeV wrote:

<blockquote>

<hr>
    druw wrote:

Druw

<hr>
    </blockquote>
    I think the Last Version of ZoneAlarm that Supported Windows 2000 was Version 7.0

Here is the official statement from ZoneAlarm on discontinuing support for 98/ME and 2000 operating systems.

Windows 2000
    Support Discontinued

In 2005, Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 2000. In 2010, Microsoft will end extended support for Windows 2000, which will make this operating system less secure and increasingly prone to hacking exploits. (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sup...ofsupport.mspx).

As a result, Check Point will cease to support Windows 2000 with the introduction of our version 8.0 ZoneAlarm family of products including ZoneAlarm
    Internet Security Suite 2009, ZoneAlarm
    Pro, ZoneAlarm
    Antivirus, ZoneAlarm

Note about pre-8.0 products:
    <ul>[*]Pre-8.0 products will continue to run on the Windows 2000 operating system and receive signature updates such as virus and spyware signatures. However, there will be new and advanced protection features in post-8.0 ZoneAlarm products that will not be added to pre-8.0 products. ZoneAlarm strongly recommends upgrading to a supported and current version of the Windows operating system.[/list]ZoneAlarm may end services to pre-8.0 products at any time.
    Windows 98se/ME

Support Discontinued
    On July 11, 2006, Microsoft will end support for Windows 98, 98SE and Me, which will have the resulting effect of making these operating systems less secure (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sup...ofsupport.mspx). Windows 98/Me are older operating systems, and therefore inherently more vulnerable to attacks than newer operating systems. Now that Microsoft will no longer provide security updates to this operating system it will become increasingly prone to security vulnerabilities.

Accordingly, Check Point will cease to support Windows 98/98SE/Me with the introduction of our version 6.5 ZoneAlarm family of products including ZoneAlarm
    Internet Security Suite, ZoneAlarm
    Pro, ZoneAlarm
    Antivirus, ZoneAlarm

Note about pre-6.5 products:
    <ul>[*]Pre-6.5 products will continue to run on the Windows 98/98SE/Me operating system. However, there are a few new and advanced protection features in ZoneAlarm products that will not run due to technical limitations of this operating system. ZoneAlarm strongly recommends upgrading to a supported and current version of the Windows operating system.[*]ZoneAlarm may end services to pre-6.5 products at any time.[/list]

---------------------------------------

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 06-29-2009 04:12 PM
    <hr></blockquote>
    Hi GeorgeV,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm already aware of all of that (I've already wasted a lot! of time on these forums and Google in general), but it doesn't alter the fact I need to find the last/best viable download for my three new Win2000 systems (Changing the OS means buying THREE new MS OSs). That's why I was asking if anyone -- you most, likely -- would be aware of a trustworthy, reputable site for such a download (can't find one at ZA).
    I assume that download would be 7.0.843, but possibly some previous version would be superior in this particualar situation -- something completely stable, completely bug-free, even if not completely modern -- that would be expected to work for several more years -- on Win2000 pro, SP4.
    Any suggestions or specfic links would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again,
    Druw

Only the Link to the current Version is posted..All download links to the Paid Versions have been removed by ZA Management..Here is a Link to some of the Previous versions of ZAFree.., However, Older versions of the Free Firewall may do not have Updates to the Firewall needed for Current Security Threats..http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.htmlGood Luck..
    GeorgeV

druw Guest

Thank you very much! That really helps and moves the project along to the -- which last version would be best question? I would assume that 7.0.843 would probably have most modern features (relative to other version 7 builds) and the most debugging, but it also had the MS KB951748 problem -- that, I assume, is patched in the 7.0.843 build available for download. Has a consensus emerged on the forums that any other version might be better overall than 7.0.843? I had found downloads for 7.0.337 and 7.0.344 and was wondering those or anyother previous version might be preferable?
    Thanks again for the help.
    Dru

I'm Sorry, I can't help you with old version of ZAFree..the last version of ZAFree that I used was Version 3 or Version 4.0,I prefer the Paid version ZA Pro, ZA Security Suite and ZA Extreme Security..Very little experience with Windows 2000, I used it for only a month or two before Upgrading to Windows XP..---------------------------------------

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg

GeorgeV

abeanie Guest

There is a website that you might want to check out for previous versions of a lot of products including ZAFF http://www.oldversion.com/
    However the latest version
    of ZAFF http://www.oldversion.com/ZoneAlarm.html
    they appear at present
    is 6.5.737. It is possible you may see the 7.0 versions soon as they were most recently discontinued.
    Hope this helps

sffrog Guest

Lightbulb Re: Latest Free Zonelabs 7 Update for Win2000 Final Release

Does anyone know where the promised* SIGNATURE UPDATES are for 7.x ZoneAlarm Free? This has not been addressed anywhere in this thread, and I've tried to find them on the ZA website several times.

Like druw, I am also still on Win2K (in my case, thanks to the continuing Bush-Cheney economy impoverishing me). I can't afford to upgrade my hardware and software to WinXP or higher (nor would I want to use the Vista pig, even if I could afford to).

* "Pre-8.0 products will continue to run on the Windows 2000 operating system and receive signature updates such as virus and spyware signatures."
    Last edited by sffrog; September 27th, 2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: forgot asterisk for footnote

[QUOTE=sffrog;

Like druw, I am also still on Win2K ."[/QUOTE]

Note: Windows ME, 98, 98se are not supported in version 7.0 or 8.0 or Version 9.0

and Windows 2000 is not Supported in ZA Version 8.0 and 9.0..
    GeorgeV

Thread Information