Thread: Shutdown Problem with ZASS 8.0.400.020

henshawj Guest

Default Shutdown Problem with ZASS 8.0.400.020

Hi Folks
    I have been running my computer with ZASS 7.0.483.000, Prevx 2 and SpyBot S&D for about a year with no problems. A few weeks ago I installed Prevx 3 and this setup also ran OK. My shutdown problem occurred when I removed ZASS 7 and installed ver:8. I contacted Prevx and they knew of no compatibility problems between ZASS and Prevx 3. I uninstalled ZASS 8, cleaned the computer, as advised on this forum, and reinstalled ZASS 8. The shutdown problem was still there.
    I then searched the Web and found this site - http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html.
    This site indicated that there were known problems with certain anti-virus programmes and the System Restore facility in Windows. I turned off the System Restore and the computer shut down correctly. When I reactivated the System Restore the computer would not shut down.
    My next step was to carry out a reset on ZASS and try again. Reactivating System Restore produced the same problem with the shutdown. I turned off System Restore and the computer shut down correctly.
    Has anyone else seen this problem with their ZASS ver:8 setup?
    Thanks
    John

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Shutdown Problem with ZASS 8.0.400.020

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>henshawj wrote:
    Hi Folks
    I have been running my computer with ZASS 7.0.483.000, Prevx 2 and SpyBot S&amp;D for about a year with no problems. A few weeks ago I installed Prevx 3 and this setup also ran OK. My shutdown problem occurred when I removed ZASS 7 and installed ver:8. I contacted Prevx and they knew of no compatibility problems between ZASS and Prevx 3. I uninstalled ZASS 8, cleaned the computer, as advised on this forum, and reinstalled ZASS 8. The shutdown problem was still there.
    I then searched the Web and found this site - http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html.
    This site indicated that there were known problems with certain anti-virus programmes and the System Restore facility in Windows. I turned off the System Restore and the computer shut down correctly. When I reactivated the System Restore the computer would not shut down.
    My next step was to carry out a reset on ZASS and try again. Reactivating System Restore produced the same problem with the shutdown. I turned off System Restore and the computer shut down correctly.
    Has anyone else seen this problem with their ZASS ver:8 setup?
    Thanks
    John

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>NOTICE:Please note that ZASS and ZAXSdo not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled). To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programsand install them back once you see that ZA works as it should. For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotS&amp;D, PC tools Threat Fire, any otherAnti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...
    b.) some Computer Users thinkhttp://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/th_1what.gif that if one Firewall and Anti-Virus is good, two or three different ones running at the same time must be better?That is very Bad, They will Block or Conflict with each other, resulting in Less Securityhttp://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../th_1mad-1.gif

6.)- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. <HR>

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. <HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. ==================================Also, Have you Update Windows XP to Service Pack 3?ZASS 7.0 for XP was designed to work with SP2,ZASS 8.0 for XP was designed to work Best with SP3However ZASS 8.0 will install on WinXP Sp2..There are numerous Security Leaks found in WinXP SP2 that were found and Fixed with SP3..

<B class=headblack2>System Requirements for ZoneAlarm Products:[/B]Vista (32-bit): <UL><LI>Pentium III 800 MHz or higher <LI>Minimum system RAM: 512 MB <LI>50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.</LI>[/list]Windows XP Operating System: <UL><LI>Pentium III 450 MHz or higher <LI>XP Service Packs 2 and 3 <LI>Minimum system RAM: 128 MB <LI>50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.</LI>[/list]NOTICE: No Security Software run on WinXP Sp2 can protect you from the Windows Security Flaws found in Windows SP2that were Fix with Windows SP3, until you upgrade to SP3....================================Here is my Advice for a Successfull Install of ZA Security Suite 8.0.400.020After you have Uninstalled all other 3rd part Security programs..================================1.Download the Latestinstallerpreferably with IE Browserand no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, BitTorrent) (MultiPlatform,installer will install on Both WinXP and Vista)ZASS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.htmlZAXShttp://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html2. Before you Ininstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview --&gt; Preferences tab)3. Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here &gt; http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exeSave to desktop, right click and "run as administrator"This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions.
    (you can un-install without net connections)5.) Now Install the new update (clean or upgrade) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..=============================================Did it install and run OK Now..--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020

TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:988638931
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200907.6235
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

henshawj Guest

Hi George
    Thanks for the reply. Before I change anything in my setup I take an image of the system so it is easy to &quot;go back&quot;. After I wrote to the forum I guessed that I should have removed SpyBot! I reistalled the image containing ZASS 7, Prevx 2 and SpyBot. I removed all of these, did a cleanup and reinstalled ZASS 8. With this setup the problem remained. With the System Restore problem I checked the settings and ALL of my partitions had SR enabled. I only have it set it to run on the &quot;C&quot; disk containing the OS. So something had modified the settings. I also tried the shutdown under Safe Mode and the shutdown was OK in the Admin and User accounts. I believe it is the &quot;Tea Timer&quot; and &quot;Immunize&quot; functions in SpyBot that can cause problems with other programmes. I do not use these facilities in SpyBot, I just do a weekly manual scan. My system, at present, has ZASS 8 and Prevx 3 installed, the System Restore turned off and it shuts down OK. I have so many Acronis Images I am starting to loose track of them :-)
    Thanks
    John

jcarby Guest

I am having the same problem. I've removed Spybot(and all other similar apps) and reinstalled following the advocated methods, to no avail. My only solution at the moment is to disconnect from the internet, shut down Zone Alarm SS and then shut down the computer. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Win XPPro Sp3

One thing you could try if you donj't already have it, is to install the additional Microsoft service, UPH clean. It helps with some types of shutdown problems.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

henshawj Guest

Hi jcarby
    Have you tried stopping System Restore? I have never used this facility so I do not miss it. Computer is much quicker on startup and shutdown.

Hi jrosenfeld
    I have the UHP clean service running - it made no difference to the problem.

There must be a conflict, on my system, with the software programmes I have installed as a fresh install of XP pro made no difference to my problem! On shutdown, ZASS 8 actually changes the settings I have for System Restore. I did not have this problem with ZASS 7.

Best Wishes
    John

I use Acronis for backups, but sometimes SR comes in handy.This is just a suggestion.Might help.

Use the Event Viewer to investigate System Restore service errors. To do this, follow these steps:

* Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    * In the left pane click on System.
    * Click the gray title “Source” at the top of the source name column in the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice." Double-click each of these services, and evaluate the event description for any indication of the cause of the problem. Make note of the Description, EventID and Source of these Event Properties that show an Error or Warning.

You could also run System File Checker

SFC /scannow

At this link : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

If you resolve the problem.Try SR in Safe Mode.

Have a nice Day

Charles_B

I have no other suggestion other than this to resolve your issue.

ZoneAlarm staff does not monitor this board. We are all users here.

If you have a valid license you can contact free of charge ZoneAlarm Technical Support and Customer Service at :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Technical Support Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 8am-5:30pm PST

Thread Information