Thread: Using CCleaner.

Hybrid View

stormsy Guest

Default Using CCleaner.

Hi there,

I want to re-install ZoneAlarm (with the latest version as I have not upgraded yet and will do so after I have renewed my subscription sometime this week) and decided to use CCleaner after I have uninstalled ZoneAlarm (including modifying the target path for the uninstaller.)

Now I thought I would try and get use to using CCleaner before I did anything else with ZoneAlarm, and I am a bit confused;
    First off, under the "Cleaner" tab I analysed my system and it came up with a (huge) list of files that it says are safe to delete. But my question is; why is it saying this? Are these files safe to delete because they are not being used? Some of the files are linked to some of my MS Office files that I use for work; so by delelting those files, would I lose my work? (If I'm not making myself clear about what I am trying to say, do tell me.)

Secondly, if I had just clicked on "Run Cleaner" would it not come up with the comprehensive list that it did under the "Analyse" tab?

Stormsy.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.1
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Using CCleaner.

<blockquote><hr>Stormsy wrote:
    Hi there,

I want to re-install ZoneAlarm (with the latest version as I have not upgraded yet and will do so after I have renewed my subscription sometime this week) and decided to use CCleaner after I have uninstalled ZoneAlarm (including modifying the target path for the uninstaller.)

Now I thought I would try and get use to using CCleaner before I did anything else with ZoneAlarm, and I am a bit confused;
    First off, under the "Cleaner" tab I analysed my system and it came up with a (huge) list of files that it says are safe to delete. But my question is; why is it saying this? Are these files safe to delete because they are not being used? Some of the files are linked to some of my MS Office files that I use for work; so by delelting those files, would I lose my work? (If I'm not making myself clear about what I am trying to say, do tell me.)

Secondly, if I had just clicked on "Run Cleaner" would it not come up with the comprehensive list that it did under the "Analyse" tab?

Stormsy.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>
    Are these MRU's?
    Then these are safe to cleanup.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

stormsy Guest

Hi there,

I am just using the defult settings that CCleaner came with. There are a couple of boxes that I have unitcked (such as the run (in start menu has been unticked) along with unticking hte clipboard.) Those sort of things that really don't need cleaning...

Ta!
    Stormsy.

zaswing Guest

Another big bunch which is ok to delete are ARPcache entries. They only appear if you visited Add/Remove programs. Microsoft's dirty traces of no consequence to us.

Warning - if you want to keep your ZA logs, uncheck that option. Ditto Windows logs. If Windows logs is checked, logs which might not belong to the system might get deleted.

Thread Information