Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: VSMON consumes more and more memory

evilcircuitry Guest

Default VSMON consumes more and more memory

Last night I checked to see how big ZA's footprint in memory was, it was 29 Mb. That's pretty big for a firewall if you ask me. I left my computer running over the night, for P2P purposes, and this morning I checked ZA footprint again. It is now 60 Mb!!! If I leave my pc running for a couple of days will ZA consume ALL of my memory??? It's a bug, right?

Version is ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5.538. Windows 2000 (SP4).

/EvilCircuitry

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm with Web Filtering
    Software Version:4.5

muffincharizard Guest

Default Re: VSMON consumes more and more memory

P2P programs typically cause this, but this depends on the P2P program. Some P2P programs, when running, cause your computer to be constantly bombarded with access attempts on a port other than what the P2P program is using to listen for connections. These P2P programs are responsible for the high memory usage. Set your P2P program to listen only on a certain port. If it doesn't fix anything, set it to passive mode. If it still doesn't do it, then you will probably need to use another P2P program. What P2P program do you use?

chralm Guest

I have the same problem and I am using Morpheus 4.0

muffincharizard Guest

Did you try what I suggested for him?

chralm Guest

Yes. Morpheus is only listening (or so it says) on a couple of ports.

britneyluvr Guest

Really? I never saw that when I tested Morpheus during the last Beta. I did see problems with emule and Overnet.

evilcircuitry Guest

I'm using Overnet 0.52. According to the Options screen it is using TCP port 4662 and UDP port 9993. Maybe I should read up on how Overnet is working, portwise...

ZoneAlarm FAQ says there can be problems if you are using an antivirus software with e-mail scanning functionality, so I have now disabled that feature in NOD32. But ZoneAlarm still consumes lots of memory. Maybe it is my p2p software? But ZoneAlarm SHOULD be smarter than this...

/EvilCircuitry

Some P2P software opens ports for each thread and then because of ZA running it doesn't close the port, so ZA has to keep watching that port /thread and the more you do, the more cycles used.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

moodster Guest

I am having this concern with vsmon.exe using and not releasing resources and I do not use or have running any kind of P2P programs.

It seems to be active mostly when I get port scans that are blocked by ZA but these scans can come at a rate of 500 in about 10 seconds, this tends to eat up resources pretty quick and I get to the point where I cant open any programs likeie, task mgr, etc. When I reboot the computer will work properly again of course until the resources are gone again. Thankfully the port scans are not constant and only seem to happen once or twice a week.

Other threads seem to make it soundas thoughthese port scans are normal and that my computer is safe, but it sure seems disruptive and can be a pain at times

If there is some setting or info I'm missing please let me (all of us) know.

Thank You, Moodster

Is this a scan you start yourself? or is it coming fom somwhere else? does the IP stay the same or at least in the same range?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information