Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest ZoneAlarm Update Causes Improper Windows Shutdown

petedawg Guest

Default Latest ZoneAlarm Update Causes Improper Windows Shutdown

I recently upgraded my ZoneAlarm to the 6.0.667.000 version on my laptop which still uses Windows ME. After the upgrade, whenever I try to do a Windows shutdown, it gets almost there, then restarts. When Windows starts to come up again, it starts running Scandisk, noting that there was an improper shutdown (usually there's lost data fragments and improper log sizes reported). If I close ZoneAlarm before doing the shutdown, the computer shuts down like it's supposed to. This never happened prior to the latest upgrade. Should I uninstall ZoneAlarm and do a clean install, or is there something else that might be causing this?

Operating System:Windows ME
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

magical_trevor Guest

Default Re: Latest ZoneAlarm Update Causes Improper Windows Shutdown

Hi Peterdawg,Welcome to the Zone Alarm Forum's, my name is Tony.I do need to say that no matter what you do with Windows ME, its a buggy Operating System. (I used to use it) Have you made sure that your windows is up to date?if not then go to http://www.windowsupdate.com

philipbcook Guest

I have a very similar problem.For many weeks now my Windows ME machine has failed to shutdown correctly requiring that I use the reset button or kill the power.This results in a disk scan on restart which is all very time wasting.The only error message that appears (which is after a blue screen) blames VSMON.I decided to rebuild the entire machine yesterday. 5 hours later all was working until I installed ZoneAlarm Pro 6.0.667.000. When my problems returned.I tried to uninstall it, but found the de-installer could not shutdown the TrueVector monitor without freezing the machine. I used MSCONFIG to stop TrueVector and the ZA Client loading at startup, and could then run the uninstaller.I then loaded the previous version of ZA Pro (also version 6). This has the same problem.Finally I have loaded V5.5.094.000 and it seems to be OK.So what did ZL do when the built ZA Pro V6. I am not happy as I have nearly 20 months of subsription for this product to go... and it seems I cannot use any of the V6 updates, which had some nice new features.Anyone with a similar experience. Anyone from ZoneLabs care to fix it for me ?Philip

matt_bush Guest

My OS is up to date. I'm having the same problems as described in previous post. When I first downloaded the new version 6.whatever, I was also constantly getting IE crashes. I rand Adaware. I also downloaded several other programs to scan (Tune Up Utilities). I thought, at first, it was an IE problem. I downloaded Firefox. I even had some crashes with it, believe it or not... I finally disabled Zone Alert for a couple of weeks, and I encountered no problems whatsoever. I enabled again today. Same problems are back. IE crashes and my system will not shut down clearly.Is Zone Alert 6.whatever not compatible with ME? If so, that's fine, just please let us know.

simojoki Guest

I have exactly the same problem, this time with a W98SE machine, free version of ZA. No problems prior to said upgrade; now frequent crashes, improper shutdowns (freezes during shutdown), clearly in relation to firewall activity (e.g. when going online, or changes in internet traffic). Is there a fix, or do I need to revert to an earlier version of ZA?

petedawg Guest

I finally fixed the problem by uninstalling ZoneAlarm and doing a clean install. Previously when there was an update, I'd just let it update my existing program. This last time, that didn't work out so well, but the clean install worked just fine.

petedawg Guest

My Windows Updater automatically lets me know when there's any updates for Windows that need to be installed, and everything's up-to-date. I just fixed the problem, however, by uninstalling Zone Alarm and doing a clean install. I used to just let the updates update my existing program, but that didn't work out so well this time. Starting from scratch seems to be what it needed.

petedawg Guest

If you've just been updatingthe existing ZoneAlarm program, you might try uninstalling it and doing a clean install. That's what got mine working right again.

georgedn Guest

I have had a similar experience with ZA version 6.0.667.000 on my desktop PC running Windows ME. I have ZA set to load on startup. I uninstalled ZA and did a clean reinstall. The improper shutdown did not go away. If I shutdown ZA prior to shutting down Windows my PC shuts down (or restarts) properly. Currently I have left ZA to not load on start up and I will shut it down before shutting down Windows to avoid the problem. The fact remains that the uninstall and subsequent clean reinstall did not fix my problem. I have run Windows update and am sure my PC is updated. Any help anyone can provide regarding this issue would be appreciated.

the_archangel Guest

I have been having ALL the problems noted here for about 3 -4 weeks. I trawled tech forums posting the problem (didnt realise this one existed) all over the place in an effort to find someone that could help me put it right. To cut a long story short after tryingLOADS of painstakingly slowsuggestions from other people expieriencing the same problem, the only one that works for me (I run windows 98 by the way) is disable ZA just before you shut down. Not only does it work like a dream and shuts down properly EVERY time (its wonderful not to have Nortons butt in and tell me 'Windows was not shut down properly' etc., and take another 5mins correcting errorsbefore it boots up, only to find it does it again the next time you want to shut down) but it closes SO FAST now. The other thing I did after getting fed up with sometimesforgetting to dissable ZAwas to uninstal it and replace it with version4.5 ftp://ftp.bbscomp.com/pub/zlsSetup_45_594_000.exeI know its probably not a good suggestion going backwards but it seems a lot more stable and works. Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information