Thread: Strange goings on!

Hybrid View

mefordham Guest

Default Strange goings on!

I have discovered A LOT of strange programs listed in the firewall - (I have killed each of them), however, when I run a search on them nothing is found. I also have 2 in particular which keep asking for access - ATKFMAPI.exe and DEBNTEXT.exe. Again, a search on these finds nothing. I have uptodate AV (Norton and AVG) I have run adaware and spybot, but nothing is showing. I am concerned that I may have a virus, but virus scans are giving the all clear. However, if I kill the 2 programs listed above then both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer freeze the computer. I am running XP SP2 with all updates.

Anybody have any clues?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Strange goings on!

You were prudent to deny access. As you stated, a search turns up nothing.....that is not a good sign. I too believe you have an infection but I've not got a clue as to what it is at this point. If the scans have not found anything, then I'd suggest you try a great little tool called Hijack This. It is freeware and you can get it by clicking here. . Once you download it, unzip it, run it and select 'do a system scan and save to file'. Now copy and paste the log you get into the website, Help2Go .

That may or may not give you a solution. If it doesn't help, then go to the Help Forum on that same site, post your log, and ask for help. Do not remove anything unless you know what you are doing. Hijack This is just a tool that is very useful in the hands of someone experienced with using it. Folks on that Forum or Castle Cops can help.

mefordham Guest

Default Re: Strange goings on!

Thanks for the advice - I have visited the help2go site as you suggested and I think I have resolved a lot of issues - however, I still have a lot of unknown programs showing in the ZA Firewall - the rate at which these were increasing was quite alarming, although it has now slowed down. According to the firewall there are 756 programs secured for Internet Access. Most of these have either a blank name or the name is made up of strange symbols. I have run searches on them but nothing comes up. If I try to click on Properties from withing the firewall I get the message saying Windows cannot find the file.Is it safe to remove these entries from the Security Suite?

rablmsr Guest

Default Re: Strange goings on! Could be Hackers Using Your Computer!

What you described is exactly the type of stuff Hackers do once they get into your computer. They waste no time changing components, adding programs and basically using every resource they can gain control of to commit internet crime thru connections to other systems and networks. You need to have a trusted computer techie clean it out for you. From the sound of it,the Hackers are in waaaaay too deep for you to uproot them by yourself. You'll need help and then tougher protection to keep them out...unless, like the Hackers in my computer, they are accessing your system via your own phone or cable lines in your residential area.

Thread Information