Thread: Can't send/receive email since updating Zone Alarm!

mohawk Guest

Default Can't send/receive email since updating Zone Alarm!

Product Name=FREE ZoneAlarm
    Product Version=6.1

Since updating Zone Alarm with ZlsSetup_61_737_000_en.exe I cannot send or receive email in Outlook Express, although I can via my ISP's web site. I always seem to get a problem when updating and wonder if this is deliberate to make me buy Zone Alarm Pro!

Thanks in advance.

Mohawk

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Can't send/receive email since updating Zone Alarm!

It is not a scheme to get you to buy Pro, this problem occurs there as well. Try this. Go to your ZA Program Control > Programs list, locate Outlook Express, right click on it, then select 'remove'. Now open OE, try to check for mail and you should get a ZA program alert. Click 'allow' and the 'remember this' box. Did that fix it?

mohawk Guest

Hi Bill - your advice sounded like a great idea, but sadly it did not work.:womansad: What now?!Mohawk

billc Guest

Do you have your DNS server IP in the Trusted zone of your Firewall > Zones panel? Also have you granted Generic Host Process 'server' rights in the Trusted zone of ZAP > Program Control > Programs? If you've done both of those things and still no go, try resetting your ZA database (it can get corrupt on upgrades). Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

mohawk Guest

Hi BillSorry for delay in getting back to you. I've looked in the Trusted zone of firewall and can see no mention of DNS (whatever that is!). Generic Host Process has a tick under Trusted and a X against the internet column.Now Kaspersky Anti virus won't update due to Zone Alarm and all 4 columns are ticked for this one!I'm worried about going into Safe Mode. Maybe it would be easier to unnstall and start again?Thanks for your help.Mohawk

Message Edited by Mohawk on 12-13-2005 07:55 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Thread Information