Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA interfering with chkdsk?

gbeccles Guest

Default ZA interfering with chkdsk?

I need to run chkdsk on my c: drive. I tried 'chkdsk /f c:', which (obviously) can't run immediately. It asks if I want to run chkdsk on the next boot; I say yes. Next boot: nothing. I've read elsewhere a rant that ZA (truevector) was causing this problem. I don't know whether that information is reliable.

Can anyone confirm or refute this claim?

Thanks,
    George

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: ZA interfering with chkdsk?

It seems to me there was a ZA version with this problem. Are you using the latest version 6.1.737.000? To test whether ZA ids the problem, uncheck the 'load Zone Alarm at startup', reboot then see if you can run chkdsk.

gbeccles Guest

I did try that; no diff. But, I've read a number of times that ZA is extremely tenacious, and that the only way to keep it from running is to uninstall it.

George

billc Guest

True. Indeed Zone Alarm is very protective of itself. Before you uninstall to see if chkdsk will then work and after you have unchecked the load at boot option then rebooted, open your Task Manager to see if vsmon.exe is a running process. If it is, that is the ZA True Vector firewall engine. If it is not, then the firewall is not running. I'm curious so would you please report back on what you find?

jarvis Guest

I have this problem with Chkdks C: /f
    One way to make it work is<PRE>fsutil dirty set C:</PRE>which will set the dirty bit on drive C: On the next boot, windows should say that drive C needs to be checked for consistency, etc.

gbeccles Guest

vsmon.exe is not running after the boot. That would clear ZA, I would think?

As I read more, I get the impression that there are some number of services which can cause this problem, depending on what version I might have. Alas.

George

gbeccles Guest

Well, 'chkntfs c:' says it's dirty already.

When I use 'chkdsk /r c:', I get a pre-login screen that says "Cannot open the volume for direct access". Googling that msg is ... discouraging. Possibly helpful, but definitely discouraging. I think it's time to get Bill on the horn, knock some heads.

George

gbeccles Guest

I lied. I went back and re-checked it, and vsmon is running, even though ZA is not. Sorry.

Also, I used msconfig.exe to set "diagnostic startup". It gives an error that it can't disable some service. Per "Services", that looks to be TrueVector, which I can't disable manually either.

So, I should uninstall ZA, if I want to do this?

George

billc Guest

Hmm. I'm not sure why True Vector (which starts as a service) still starts when you uncheck the 'Load Zone Alarm at Startup' option and reboot. And it should not start at all if you boot into the Safe Mode.

It could be your database in ZA is corrupt and does not recognize the change at boot. None the less, an uninstall should solve the problem. Do it this way. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

Once you've done what you need to with chkdsk, then just reinstall ZA.

gbeccles Guest

> I'm not sure why True Vector (which starts as a service) still starts when
    > you uncheck the 'Load Zone Alarm at Startup' option and reboot. And it
    > should not start at all if you boot into the Safe Mode.

Well, I tested it twice (above), and got two different results: one time I said vsmon was gone, the other time that it was there. So, I was wrong at least once. Maybe more than that, the way things have been going. I never was able to get to Safe Mode. I think that may have to do with something called 'OnTrack', which apparently came pre-configured on my HDD. I'm not sure what it does, or why it's there, and I'm not inclined to mess with it.

I did uninstall ZA, but just from the control panel add/remove - I didn't run the zauninst.exe explicitly. After that, vsmon.exe was gone. But, still no chkdsk.

What I finally did was boot from the install CD, go to the Recovery Console, and run chkdsk from there. I didn't know you could do that. That worked, and all is well. (At least for the moment.) (And, I reinstalled ZA afterwards. Whether ZA had anything to do with the original problem or not, I don't think it could interfere with the Recovery Console.)

Thank you for the assistance.

George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information