Thread: Zone Alarm 6 Causes trouble with video, etc.

uaglt Guest

Default Zone Alarm 6 Causes trouble with video, etc.

I am running Windows 98 on a Dell Inspiron 7500 with Pentium III 700 and have been using Free Zone Alarm successfully and without problems for over a year.Afew weeks ago, I upgraded tothe (free) version 6.0.667.000 and ever since I had numerous problems. When I start up Windows, it stops for a long time and displays C: set tvdumpflags 8. Sometimes, when I'm lucky, it then proceeds after along pauseto start up Windows with my desktop as usual. Most of the time however, the screen freezes and I have to pull the power plug to shut it down. When I reconnect the power and turn the laptop on, itusually comes up wit a screen asking me if i want to run in safe mode. If Idecide to start Normal, sometimes it runs scan disk and then I can finally see my desktop - what a pain ! In addition to that, something seems to have happened to my video setting: When I click on something, often a very garish purple masks the screen or something like that. Being thoroughly exasperated with having to go through all thehassle described above, I decided today to re-install my video drivers - and (knock on wood) things seem to be much improved.From some of the threads on this forum, I gather that I am not the only one having lots of trouble with Zone Alarm 6. I know this was with using the free-ware version, but I gather there are also many problems with the ProZone Alarm 6. PC computers are very complex to configure etc. andI know that it is difficult to write a program which does not create any software or hardware conflict. However, if this had been happening to my neighbour, an old lady, she would have been at least $50 out of pocket for getting in a Technician to fix it (my wife was actually no longer able to useour DELL because of the above). I thought it would have been appropriate forZoneAlarm to post some kind of alert (or better yet, a patch).By the way, something worse happened to me a while ago when I downloadeda highly recommended (by PC Magazine etc) free anti spyware program on the same laptop. It completely destroyed my Windows installation and mutilated several files on my hard drive. It was only with the help of my nephew (a computer nerd) that I got my computer woking again (re-installing Windows 98 etc).So - watch out everybody - you get what you pay for - and even some more......

Operating System:Windows 98 (original)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm 6 Causes trouble with video, etc.

Likely the problems you are having are resulting from your system rather than Zone Alarm. Windows 98 is not supported by any of the ZA 6.0 versions. From Zone Labs <hr>System Requirements:
    Windows 98SE/ME/2000 Pro/XP. Pentium III 450 MHz or higher. 50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access. Minimum system RAM: 48MB (98SE/ME), 64MB (2000 Pro), 128MB (XP)<hr> You might want to go back to the version that was working on your machine.

uaglt Guest

I wish there was a warning that it does not run on WIN98 when the upgrade to 6. was offerd.....How do I go back to 5.5 ???By the way, my friend who experienced the problem of not bein able to shut down her computer was using ME.

billc Guest

I know what you mean about the warning. When you get an 'update' notice, it doesn't tell you the system requirements. Here is a link to ZA Free release history where you can find downloads for the version you wish to install. I'd suggest you download and save the installer, then uninstall your current version, and then install the older version that worked best for you. Worry not, the earlier versions of ZA Free are great firewalls.

Thread Information