Thread: ZA Kills Media Player

mikeak Guest

Default ZA Kills Media Player

Hi, I have just downladed the trail of ZA Internet Security Suite. All seemed fine 'till I tried to use Windows Media Player 10. Media Player doesn't even start, I just get an error dialog saying "Internal Error". Unistalled ZA and Media Player works fine again. This is a shame as I like ZA, but its no use to me if I can't use Media Player. Can anyone help with this?ThanksMike

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: ZA Kills Media Player

Try turning off OS Firewall.
    Go to Program Control > Main and press the first "Custom" button from the top. UNcheck "Enable OS Firewall".

mikeak Guest

Thanks. Tried that but it made no difference. I have tried playing around disableing various settings and even disabling the firewall altogether - no difference. I don't think its a communication problem as Media Player does not even try to start I get the error dialog IMMEDIATLY I click on Media Player don't even get to the normal window. Also disabling the firewall makes no difference, only uninstalling it restores Media Player functionality, so I suspect that ZoneAlarm is "messing up"some Media Player files/settings during instalIation. Any more suggestions anyone?ThanksMike

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>MikeAK wrote:
    Thanks. Tried that but it made no difference. I have tried playing around disableing various settings and even disabling the firewall altogether - no difference. I don't think its a communication problem as Media Player does not even try to start I get the error dialog IMMEDIATLY I click on Media Player don't even get to the normal window. Also disabling the firewall makes no difference, only uninstalling it restores Media Player functionality, so I suspect that ZoneAlarm is "messing up"some Media Player files/settings during instalIation. Any more suggestions anyone?ThanksMike
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't heard of ZoneAlarm messing up Media Player files/settings during installation.

Try reinstalling Media Player:

To uninstall the Media Player, go Control Panel, Add or remove program, Add or remove Windows components and remove the tick at Media Player. Then restart your machine and do the same but this time tick Media Player. A fresh copy will be installed.

mikeak Guest

OK, tried that, even tried re-downloading and re-installing Media Player 10 from MS site - no difference. Tried uninstalling ZA again Media Player works perfectly. Tried Sygate and Kerio firewallsand Media Player works fine in both cases. Only thing I didn't metion is that this machine is not on a workgroup, its joined to a domain, but I don't think that should make any difference, shoud it?RegardsMike

That should not make a difference. I'm out of ideas for now, you might like to contact Zone Labs Support:https://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...ch_support.jspTell the support person what you have done to troubleshoot at this stage.

mikeak Guest

OK I''ll try that. Thanks for your helpMike

mikeak Guest

Hi,As a last resort before contacting support I re-downloaded the trial version I previously downloaded and did a file compare (FC in command promt window). The original and the newly downloaded oneare different! Maybe somthing got at it before I installed. Re-installed using the new download and everything works fineMike

Thanks for the information.

Thread Information