Thread: ZoneAlarm shuts down by itself

kamel Guest

Default ZoneAlarm shuts down by itself

Hi,

I have a problem with ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 6.5. It shuts down by itself. Sometime it restarts and sometimes I have to reboot. Any idea?

Thanks a lot.

Kamel

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm shuts down by itself

When you say shut's down by itself, do you mean you get the alert saying "True Vector has encountered a problem and must close"?

kamel Guest

Sometimes it does that and all what I get is the zonealarm picture on the task bar that turns into an X and when I check the status, it says : "must reboot". Sometimes it comes back.

billc Guest

Often a fresh install will solve this problem but first uninstall Zone Alarm this way. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. Now download and install a new copy of Zone Alarm.

kamel Guest

Hi Bill,

Thanks soo much, I appreciate. I'll give it a try. Have a good one.

bribienet Guest

I have a client's computer on our repair bench that is misbehaving... after a reboot Zone Alarm shuts down. When starting from Programs > ZA Control Panel it still shuts down.

This PC was continually rebooting when it was first brought in and a system rollback solved that problem. Ap[parently the problem started after the user followed a link from an email for a "greeting card".

I have already done a clean uninstall using /clean /rmlicense and re-installed, but it still shuts down.

It's as if something is detecting it and shutting it down. Has any malware been reported that does this?

bribienet Guest

Problem solved.

Did a system rollback, then started in safe mode and ran Zone Alarm which detected 1 virus. Then restarted in normal mode and rescanned to detect more viruses and trojans.

The culprit was mostly the greetings.com trojan.

Thread Information