Thread: Pc Anywhere / RealVNC - ZoneAlarm Panels protected from remote control

diverguy Guest

Default Pc Anywhere / RealVNC - ZoneAlarm Panels protected from remote control

I use pcanywhere and real vnc to helpsupport a friend remotely.After installing the latest version of (free) zone alarm on his machine, I can no longer click on zone alarm panels, windows or popups.I see references in these posts to 'allow keyboard access', but I cannot find any such panels in the zone alarm configuration.Is this configuration available in the free version?If so, where is it?If not, am I stuck with going back to the old version which allowed access or is there another solutions?Thanks,John.

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

diverguy Guest

Default Re: Pc Anywhere / RealVNC - ZoneAlarm Panels protected from remote control

All the GURU's out there and nobody has even an 'uh huh' on this issue?I have gone back to version 5 and I have regained remote access to the zone alarm popups.

ribozone Guest

Default Controling Zone Alarm over VNC : HELP!

Yes, I would also like information how to control ZoneAlarm remotely with VNC. I often have to work on a system with ZoneAlarm over VNC and ZoneAlarm won't even allow me to accept, reject, or dismiss alerts that come up for new programs that want to access the Internet! This renders that app pretty much unusable. I understand not allowing modification of ZA settings remotely as a security precaution--but shouldn't even this be an option left for the user to set? Or maybe it is? Does somebody know? It's very frustrating.

diverguy Guest

Default Re: Controling Zone Alarm over VNC : HELP!

The only solutions I have found so far is to use Zone Alarm 5.5.062

john

Default Re: Pc Anywhere / RealVNC - ZoneAlarm Panels protected from remote control

In the free version, open ZA, GO to the overview section then to the preferences tab, then click the options button. If I remember it lives in there.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

eggyza Guest

Hi,

There is a sipmle sollution.
    If the VNC service runs prior to the Zonealarm service (vsmon) at startup, zonealarm does not respond to mouse clicks, etc.

Add the following key to the Regedit and you can control you ZA panel via VNC.
    Works for Zonealarm security suite 7.x

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\WinVNC4
    DependOnService Reg_SZ_Multi vsmon

unbob Guest

FWIW, that didn't work for me. I had to uncheck
    'Protect the ZoneAlarm client' on the Overview > Preferences tab. Doing that allowed remote VNC control of ZA pop-ups.

I'm running ZA v7.0.337.000 under WinXP Home

Thread Information