Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost settings on reboot

hellucinated Guest

Default Lost settings on reboot

Hi everybody. ok, here's whats strange:
    Everytime i reboot my computer, i have to give access to msn, mirc..and so on. i Check that thing "remember this setting", but it's useless. i reboot my computer, and the settings are lost again. i hate having to permit msn again, and all the programs. any ideas? tks a lot in advance.
    i'm using the latest free version 6.1.737.000
    The curious thing is, all my life i tryied zonealarm, since those 4.0 versions, and i always have this issue. no matter what operative system, no matter what settings i use. i don't know why can't it remember the settings.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Lost settings on reboot

That amnesia in ZA normally is a indication of a corrupted data base. You may try to reset it, be aware that you'll loose your customizations and need to built a fresh data base,but from what you say it is messed up anyway. Instructions http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=7101#M7101

Best regards

hellucinated Guest

how can it be corrupted if i have downloaded and installed yesterday? as soon as i rebooted, this happened!

ad_hock Guest

It may happen that the install get corrupted. What I suggested was a first step to try to solve the problem,but now that you say that you finish installing the bigger chance is that the install got corrupted,the way to solve it is make a clean uninstall and then a clean install. For the clean uninstall follow this link http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=23496#M23496
    Best regards

hellucinated Guest

unbelievable, it worked! tks a lot mate! keep up the god job!

ad_hock Guest

You're welcome.
    Glad to know it did solve your problem.
    Best regards

edlipson Guest

I'm running into a similar problem, where ISS/ZA is not remembering any network or IP settings. This just started about two weeks ago, after I think I installed the latest XP patches.

How do I know if I have a corrupt database? Any check tools? No reports in the Event Viewer about ZA having issues loading the database at startup (Instant Support result suggestion).

Will loading a saved XML file correct the database?

Thanks,
    Ed

ad_hock Guest

The symptoms you describe may indicate corruption in data base. Normally the symptons may vary from severe to simple,for example programs that you gave permission ask for that again,not remembering settings,temporay files .TMP in the folder Internet Logs, crashes in true vector asking for reboot (normally this ones you got them in the event viewer). You may try a resetting of your data base (I normally do one or two per year), the down side is you loose all your customizations and need to built a fresh data base. The restoring the settings with a XML file I normally don't like as we never know when corruption took place so I think it's better,although it gives more work, to build a fresh one. If you decide to do the resetting follow the procedure http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=7101#M7101
    Best regards

edlipson Guest

<blockquote><hr>Ad-Hock wrote:
    The symptoms you describe may indicate corruption in data base. Normally the symptons may vary from severe to simple,for example programs that you gave permission ask for that again,not remembering settings,temporay files .TMP in the folder Internet Logs, crashes in true vector asking for reboot (normally this ones you got them in the event viewer). You may try a resetting of your data base (I normally do one or two per year), the down side is you loose all your customizations and need to built a fresh data base. The restoring the settings with a XML file I normally don't like as we never know when corruption took place so I think it's better,although it gives more work, to build a fresh one. If you decide to do the resetting follow the procedure http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=7101#M7101
    Best regards
    <hr></blockquote>

I'm going to have to try it, rebuilding from scratch.

I'm just wondering why ZoneLabs does not follow Data Processing 101 and have backup and restore procedures which actually work. It is WONDERFUL to know you can dump your settings to an XML file. Unfortunately backup is USELESS without a tested and functioning restore procedure. SOmething for me to take up with them.

Thanks for the reference.

Ed

hellucinated Guest

i agree with you. i don't see this happening with other firewalls. zonelabs must work to fix this bug. this is a security software to protect our computer, not to reinstall 10 times in a year because of corruption...
    however i love zonealarm, and i'm glad i could reinstall sucefully

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information