Thread: Saving/Restoring ZA Pro Settings

mhogansr Guest

Default Saving/Restoring ZA Pro Settings

I recently restored a backup copy of my hard drive to a new drive and all ZAP configuration settings were gone. I had to reconfigure appropriate access for all programs and networks. How can this information be preserved during backup/restore?

Mike Hogan

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Saving/Restoring ZA Pro Settings

You can make a backup of your ZAP settings by going to the Overview > Preferences panel in ZAP and look to 'Backup and Restore Settings'. Is that what you were asking?

mhogansr Guest

I guess I took it for granted that if I did a complete backup of my drive, all settings and configurations for applications would be saved as part of the process, then restored to their previous state after a restore operation. Apparently, that's not the case with ZAP. Which then prompts the next question - Why not? If the information is not part of the data on the drive that is backed up, where does it come from? Is it maintained on a ZA server somewhere and loaded each time the program is started? My curiosity is piqued.

Regards,
    Mike

billc Guest

ZA stores all it's settings in a file on your computer called Internet Logs. It does not contact a server for this data. When a program starts, ZA checks it's permissions and then allows what is configured in ZA. Is that what you are asking?

mhogansr Guest

If that's true, why are all the settings lost after a restore from a backup that saved all files? That's what happened in my case, hence the original question. I'm aware of the Internet Logs file, as I periodically go there to remove daily summaries over a month old.

Mike

Thread Information