Thread: Problems with Fast User Switching

Hybrid View

projectman Guest

Default Problems with Fast User Switching

I have a problem with Fast User Switching on XP Pro. When a second user logs on and uses the laptop then logs off, the laptop often hangs with a blank screen, rather than going back to the "Welcome" screen. The only way out of the hang is a forced shutdown via the power button. I've checked on the MS Knowledgebase that I have all the current fixes installed for known FUS issues. I read on a bulletin board that ZAP can interfere with FUS - can anyone confirm that this is the case, if there's a fix and, if not, are Zone Labs working on it?

Running a Dell C840 laptop with Intel P4M 2.0 MHz, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD, XP Pro SP2 and all updates, ZAP 6.1.737.000, NAV 2004, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, Ewido 3.5, broadband with BT via Intel AnyPoint DSL software modem, regular scans with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware SE.

Help appreciated. It's not a critical issue as I could always disable FUS, but it's a pain as the wife often wants to use the laptop whilst I'm logged on..

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version: 6.0

Message Edited by Projectman on 01-03-2006 10:35 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

marian Guest

Default Re: Problems with Fast User Switching

I have the same problem, but on XP Home Edition?
    I too read on a MS Message Board that ZoneAlarm can cause probs w/fast user switching, and that there would be a "fix" for this?
    I'm using ZoneAlarm 6.5.737.000
    Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.

projectman Guest

Marian,

Thanks for confirming that you have the same issue - it's good to know that it's not just me.

I am using the same version of ZAP as you, and I disabled Fast User Switching (FUS) shortly after I originally posted and have had no problems since (as it happens, I now need to use the off-line file synchronisation feature, which needs FUS to be switched off anyway).

I haven't tried FUS with any of the recent ZAP updates, but as you are on the same version as I am, and you have the problem, that implies that this is still an issue some 9 months on.

Message Edited by Projectman on 10-25-200604:13 AM

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

Message Edited by Projectman on 10-25-200604:14 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

marian Guest

I found this from MS, that might help . . .
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Marian

projectman Guest

Mariam,

I've installed the User Hive Cleanup, but, as I said above, I currently need to have FUS off, so I won't know that it works for quite a while. Let me know how you got on.

marian Guest

Thank you
    for your interest, Projectman.
    The Hive Cleanup patch didn't help.
    I guess I (and others) will just have to keep waiting for a "fix" from ZoneAlarm someday . . .
    Marian

jarvis Guest

ProjectMan

I noticed you're running Ewido - try giving the Ewido Guard a trust level of "Super" in the Program Control section of ZA. I had a similar problem in that I could fast user switch from a admin account to a limited account, but not the other way around - it would hang.

Setting the Ewido guard to Super fixed the problem.

projectman Guest

Jarvis,

Thanks for the "heads up" on Ewido (now AVG AntiSpyware), but I wasn't using the resident guard, just using the free version to do regular scans, so does this still apply?

My resident antispyware scanner is via Windows Defender.

Paul

jarvis Guest

well you say you're not using it's resident shield but is it still running at startup from the services? When you disable the resident shield from the Ewido / AVG tray icon it turns off the on-execution scanning but doesn't stop the service.

Is guard.exe running? If so, try configuring it (Ewido Antispyware guard or AVG Antispyware Gurad) to be Manual or Disabled in the Services list:

My Computer (right-click) --> Manage --> Services & Applications --> Services

marian Guest

Hi Jarvis . . . I'm still having the fast user switching problem, but am not running AVG.
    I've pretty much gotten used to having to log off, then log back on, making the "switch user" option pretty much useless.
    Under My Computer --> Manage --> Services & Applications --> Services, my Fast User Switching is Started, and set to Manual . . .
    Marian

Thread Information