Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with Fast User Switching

jarvis Guest

Default Re: Problems with Fast User Switching

ProjectMan

I noticed you're running Ewido - try giving the Ewido Guard a trust level of "Super" in the Program Control section of ZA. I had a similar problem in that I could fast user switch from a admin account to a limited account, but not the other way around - it would hang.

Setting the Ewido guard to Super fixed the problem.

projectman Guest

Jarvis,

Thanks for the "heads up" on Ewido (now AVG AntiSpyware), but I wasn't using the resident guard, just using the free version to do regular scans, so does this still apply?

My resident antispyware scanner is via Windows Defender.

Paul

jarvis Guest

well you say you're not using it's resident shield but is it still running at startup from the services? When you disable the resident shield from the Ewido / AVG tray icon it turns off the on-execution scanning but doesn't stop the service.

Is guard.exe running? If so, try configuring it (Ewido Antispyware guard or AVG Antispyware Gurad) to be Manual or Disabled in the Services list:

My Computer (right-click) --> Manage --> Services & Applications --> Services

marian Guest

Hi Jarvis . . . I'm still having the fast user switching problem, but am not running AVG.
    I've pretty much gotten used to having to log off, then log back on, making the "switch user" option pretty much useless.
    Under My Computer --> Manage --> Services & Applications --> Services, my Fast User Switching is Started, and set to Manual . . .
    Marian

sfrance Guest

I'm having a similar problem: With 2 admin users logged in, it takes about 3 - 5 mins to "fast" switch between users.

marian Guest

Hi sfrance,
    My problems resolved themselves once I stopped using ZoneAlarm? :0
    I used ZoneAlarm for years, and thought it was a great product.
    I still do think it's probably pretty good, judging by the number of downloads every week, but once they started having problems re: downloads, coupled with my fast user switching problems, I just found it easier to take the path of least resistance . . . I didn't have the time it sometimes takes to either read through all the posts or try to figure out on my own a "fix" for something.
    I hope you have better luck than I did, and wish you well.

sfrance Guest

Since this is a widespread peoblem, ZA will come out with a patch... eventually. I found that it takes 1 min 15 secs to switch users. I figure I can hang in there until they fix their problem. I will, however, watch for future problems with upgrades and decide whether to switch to another supplier when my subscription expires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information