Thread: Norton Internet Worm Protection (Security Alert) - Tiggered by ZAISS

tygereyes Guest

Default Norton Internet Worm Protection (Security Alert) - Tiggered by ZAISS

Greetings, I am writing this note on this forum as I am not certain where else the post would be more appropriate.On some occassions, I will received the following 'Security Alert' from Norton AV toward the end of the initial load-up period when one starts Windows and all of the drives and background software is started-up (as an example, I will post tonights warning):Security AlertNorton Internet Worm Protection has detected and blocked an intrusion attempt.Security Rule Default Block RASmin Trojan HorseDate 1/3/2006Time 8:10pmPath C:\Windows\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exeFile Name TrueVector ServiceDirection InboundLocal Address All local networka adaptersLocal Port 1045ProtocolTCP So, the questions I have are... what is this about? how is this limiting the effectiveness of ZAISS to run and/or protect my system? how might I get this to stop? Should ZA communicate with Norton and get Norton Update/Patch to allow ZA to do what it is suppose to be doing? Of course, any comments are welcome. It should be noted that on some occasions ZA TrueVector Service gets shutdown; however, it immediately warns me and offers me the option to restart itself and does so without issue... might there be a relationship even though their is no 1:1 correlation between the occasional warning and shutdown.Thanks, in advance, to any would might offer help...Ciao, Tyger

Message Edited by TygerEyes on 01-03-2006 08:37 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Norton Internet Worm Protection (Security Alert) - Tiggered by ZAISS

ZA suite, which you are using,contains anti-virus. True Vector service uses vsmon.exe. You have to pick one or the other.You cannot, you must not, run two virus jobs at the same time. My suggestion is to get rid of Norton. Hang on to ZASuite.BTW, the most recent installation instructions on the ZL site actually tell you not to run two virus applications.ZASuite spyware and other junk prevention might not be as strong as some other products, and for the most part you can run it together with the Suite. Or you can turn off the spyware in ZA and let something else watch over that part.Edited: one more thing. It's not a bad idea to run another antivirus periodically. I, for instance, run a-square routinely, in safe mode, when ZA is idle. No conflicts. No problems. Ewido is another one. McAffee's Stinger also works. Both are good for scanning viruses and trojans.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 01-03-2006 10:35 PM

unhappy_viewer Guest

Default Re: Norton Internet Worm Protection (Security Alert) - Tiggered by ZAISS

"Edited: one more thing. It's not a bad idea to run another antivirus periodically. I, for instance, run a-square routinely, in safe mode, when ZA is idle. No conflicts. No problems. Ewido is another one. McAffee's Stinger also works. Both are good for scanning viruses and trojans."

A-squared and Ewido aren't antiviruses( otherwise you'd be contradicting yourself ). Both of them are antitrojan programs. McAfee's Stinger is an all-in-one virus removal tool for common malware (think of it as the other AV company's removal tools compressed into 1).

zaswing Guest

Huh?
    1. Am I still contradicting myself when I run'm in SAFE MODE when vsmon is nowhere in sight?
    2. So what other virus scanners would be good to periodically use instead of the ZA Suite AV?

Thread Information