Thread: safeprograms.xml

maxsselfissteam Guest

Default safeprograms.xml

Hi,

I already posted about this in an earlier thread on another subject (http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=11639#M11639), but I'd like to post this again since I haven't received any definite answer on it yet -- although magical_trevor rightly pointed out that one shouldn't open unknown files. Stupidly enough, I opened safeprograms.xml while doing research on said other problem a few days ago. I got paranoid immediately afterwards because in the end 1. I don't know what safeprograms.xml is really about apart that it's part of Zonealarm and 2. I don't really know whether XML files are able to do anything bad when they're opened in Internet Explorer.

Should I be worried about anything? Can opening it change anything? (I've actually reinstalled ZA in the meantime anyway, I'm still worried though...)

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:5.5

billc Guest

Default Re: safeprograms.xml

No, you need not worry about the .xml files, nothing bad will happen to your machine. This file contains a list of 'safe' programs and the corresponding 'safe' settings in Program Control. That's why some programs will automatically have 'access' granted or other permissions even if you did not specifically grant them. Upon installation, you are asked if you want ZA to configure programs for you. Just opening .xml files should not change anything.

maxsselfissteam Guest

Thanks a lot for the reply!

(Could that be the reason why lsass.exe was allowed to access the internet even though I don't remember allowing it to? That was one of my problems in the other thread, basically.)

billc Guest

Yes indeed " that be the reason why lsass.exe was allowed to access the internet even though I don't remember allowing it "

Thread Information