Thread: Think Twice before installing Zone Alarm even if its the free version.

jwild Guest

Default Think Twice before installing Zone Alarm even if its the free version.

A Google Search delete vsmon.exe yields 55 hits showing that ZA has a serious problem for at least a year to which there is apparently no solution. ( Refer post in General Cannot close, delete,upgrade ZA ( jwild) ) If, for some unidentified reason, a file in the ZA system become corrupted then, in some cases the use of uninstall does not remove all the relevant files and a key file of the system vsmon.exe remains. If a manual delete ( or any other delete process) is tried the message "Cannot delete vsmon it is being used by another person or program. Close any
    programs that might be using the file and try again". This occurs for a standalone PC and when all ZA programs and other ZA files have been removed.

In addition the problem continues when all references to ZA in the Registry have been removed. Task Manager does not list vsmon.exe as running or even loaded., Msconfig has no references to TrueVector Internet Monitor or any other ZA files.

I was considering installing Zone Alarm Pro but that is now impossible because the presence of an undeletable vsmon.exe prevents its installation. Even the free version cannot be reinstated.

There must be quite a number of PC s around with a lone vsmon.exe but I guess that their owners wouldn t be too interested in scanning through this forum as they would have a McAfee (or other) system installed.

Before I join them are there any ZA users who have found a solution to this problem left ?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:5.1

billc Guest

Default Re: Think Twice before installing Zone Alarm even if its the free version.

Follow the manual uninstall directions found on this Zone Labs Support site . The secret to deleting ZA files is to boot into the Safe Mode and then delete the files. Once you do that, you should be able to install ZA again if you wish.

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Think Twice before installing Zone Alarm even if its the free version.

Hi, I am a regular user of Zone Alarm Pro version 6.0. All I can say that ZONE ALARM PRO 6.0 is really "AWESOME"! I have been using this GREAT product for almost two years now, and I have NOT had a PROBLEM with it. It's ROCK SOLID! Most of the problems are from old files left from previous installs of Zone Alarm and are NOT PROPERLY REMOVED. So, therefore of course you will have problems. Thank you for your time and have a great day! SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

4. Default Re: Think Twice before installing Zone Alarm even if its the free version.

I too have been a very happy user of ZA for at least 2 years and have installed and upgraded it on a number of PC s. Sly Fox, until a few weeks ago I would have agreed with you but no longer. I m glad to see you recognise there are problems with ZA as testified by the 55 hits in Google though in your case you have been lucky enough not to strike any of them as yet.. In my case when the problem started I was not even contemplating uninstalling it and did so at suggestions obtained from this forum only after I ran into the problem.( Refer post in General Cannot close, delete,upgrade ZA ( jwild) ) . As recommended by Bill (Atlanta) I first used uninstall and then I did a manual delete following the manual uninstall directions found on Zone Labs Support site .So you cannot blame not using the correct uninstall process as the root cause of this process. Many of the 55 hits are in the same situation.

Bill, what I have tried ( refer above post) is:

I have started up my PC in Safe Mode and tried to delete vsmon.exe .. no change.

I have cleaned the registry by running Ccleaner, PConpoint. My PC runs better but vsmon.exe is still there and cannot be deleted.

I have used the programs Copylock and Killbox to try to delete vsmon.exe . Neither could delete it. Copylock analysed vsmon and reported it was not involved in any processes.

The Task Manager does not list vsmon as either loaded or running.

Msconfig (Services) does not list "TrueVector Internet Monitor" or anything
    "ZA like" as far as I know..
    Regedit does not list under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\SharedDLLs (or Run) the entryC:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    The only mention of Zone Alarm in the entireregistry was a couple of entries underHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ZONE ALARM\ which I have deleted ( to no avail!)
    When I try to delete vsmon I get the message that I have got since my problems began namely "Cannot delete vsmon it is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again"

It seems unbelievable that a company like Zone Alarm, who must be aware of this problem and does not have a solution for it.

SlyFox I don t mind spending some time for you and I am about to have a great McFee day

Cheers

John W.

Thread Information