Thread: Why does ZA pro crash? and what happened to my Log???

toranagasama Guest

Default Why does ZA pro crash? and what happened to my Log???

Hello everyone, please excuse me, the below is part rant and part quiry.

OK, I'm a long time Symantec user and several weeks ago, I decided to give ZA a try, after hearing so much about if for YEARS!

While I've been greatly impressed by the interface (great improvement over Symantec), ZA Pro's actual functioning is leaving a good bit to be desired!

First, WHY is ZA crashing? It's crashed while running its Anti-virus/Anti-spyware and its crashed simply for **bleep**ed good reason. I completely freaked when it crashed while scanning. I NEVER had a crash while running Symantec's anti-virus, never in roughly 10 years of use.

The last crash happened shortly after booting into Windows 2000 pro, ZA just froze.

What's really scary is two things:

1) The fact that after ZA crashes is whether ZA is still working or not. The 2 or 3 times this happened, I rebooted to be sure. Rebooting is NOT what you want, when you run a STABLE system 24/7, which rarely crashes and is up for months on end and only taken down purposely.

2) What's with Login/Logout? I don't get it. It's possible to close the GUI interface, and remain *Logged In*. This is crazy, as it means that anyone can sit down at my system, or, conceivably, remotely run a bot, **access** ZA and adjust my settings. What kind of firewall software is this?

Am I correct, or have I missed something?

Not only that, but you can stayed Logged In, FOREVER! Why is there no *Timer*?? The first thing a good firewall needs to be capable of, is securing *itself*.

Do I have this wrong too? Is there some setting I'm missing?

3) The most scary thing has to do with the "Alerts & Logs". Here is what occured after the latest crash:

I booted into Windows, noted a tiny icon flashing upon the ZA icon in my tray. First time I noticed this. (I believe it was the alert icon (as I turned off some alerts)). After the icon stopped flashing, I was concerned, and decided to check the Log. So, I open the "Log View" and check Firewall, as usual there is *nothing* there. It is blank and has been since installing ZA Pro. You'd think it might have caught something by now, something benign.

Ok, so I scroll to Anti-virus, and am shocked to see a blank page. Nothing, nada, is listed! There are no log entries!!! I check Anti-spyware and is its the same, no entries! Only the Firewall log has entries, and appears *normal*. The log for "Programs" has a single entry.

Something is wrong.

I have ZA schedule to do a weekly scan. There s/b a log entry for the scans. Recently, once or twice I killed the scan, because I was busy, but there s/b a log of this as well. Yet, there is nothing in the log.

Please can someone explain this, and I would appreciate any comments regarding the crashes as well.

At this moment ZA Pro appears to a very unstable software, its *security* software, so unstable means unsafe. I wonder, is this software going to crash while I'm away or inattentive to my system? The prospect is really unacceptable.

Symantec was a *itch to setup and use properly, and the latest Symantec version was such a PITA, that I turned to ZA, *after* renewing my Symantec subscription!! Given that, one thing you could be certain of, Symantec's software DIDN'T crash---NOT EVER! Nor did log entries failed to be recorded and none disappeared.

Thank you, in advance, for reading and commenting.

***Correction: I have ZA Internet Security Suite, not ZA Pro.

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Why does ZA pro crash? and what happened to my Log???

I'll take a shot at your questions. First, did you uninstall all of the Symantec firewall before you installed ZASS? You might want to use the Symantec clean-up utilities . I think this is the most likely cause of your crashes.

About your ZASS login, you need not do this unless you want to change your settings or grant permissions. When you first install, you'll likely need to grant 'access' so logins are needed. Later it will be required less.

You stay logged in until you log out or reboot. After a reboot you'll need to login again. If you never reboot or shutdown ZASS, you'll stay logged in until you log out. There is no timer.

The system tray alert 'blinks' when Zone Labs security software has blocked a communication, but your settings prevent a full-sized alert from being shown. You can go to Alerts & Logs > Advanced button > System Tray Alert and change your settings.

If you are not seeing logging of blocked intrusions, first make sure you have 'Event Logging' turned on in your Alerts & Logs Main panel. If your settings are correct, then either your ZA database is corrupt, you are behind a router, you have a modem that does NAT, or the remains of your Symantec firewall is causing this behavior.

I'd suggest you clean any and every remaining Symantec file from your computer. Then do a 'clean' uninstall of ZA then install a fresh copy once all of Symantec has been removed. Here's how you do that. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

Now install a fresh ZA.

Thread Information