Thread: ZLP Hangs when 3rd party software tries to access Explorer and other windows programs.

troutamerica Guest

Default ZLP Hangs when 3rd party software tries to access Explorer and other windows programs.

Zone Labs Pro (automatic updates are on)
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:6.1.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.1.737.000
    Driver version:6.1.737.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:4.1.7.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200601.218

I've had this problem for quite a while. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough for me to know why my computer has ground to a halt before any tell tale signs appear.

The most recent example is I clicked on a programs "Browse" button to find a file. Nothing happens and my computer won't respond to any mouse clicks, the cursor doesn't change although it continues to move as I move the mouse. In a minute or two, the warning alert appears above the task bar indicating that the program I was working in was trying to access Windows Explorer.....etc. I try to click on "Allow" but the cursor is now way behind my mouse movements. Eventually I am able to land on "Allow", and I click. Nothing happens. In another minute or two, the log jam breaks and my computer is back to its old self again. (It's a 2G+ Dell dimension which I maintain as best I can. I use various registry cleaners and cleanup programs to keep things running smoothly. My start ups and shut downs are flawless and very quick.)

I looked through some of the message boards but haven't seen anyone with a similar problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: ZLP Hangs when 3rd party software tries to access Explorer and other windows programs.

See if this helps. Go to your ZA Program Control > Programs, right click on Windows Explorer, select 'options', then click the box "Allow Application Interaction" and see if that helps.

If no Joy, then uninstall ZA this way. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. Now download and install a fresh copy of ZA.

troutamerica Guest

Default Re: ZLP Hangs when 3rd party software tries to access Explorer and other windows programs.

Thanks. I have implemented paragraph one and will see if that takes care of the issue. It will take a few days for me to see if the problem has been elliminated.

Thanks for your help and time.

billc Guest

Let us know what happens either way, ok?

troutamerica Guest

I'm still having trouble. Do I really need to do a complete uninstall to try to quell this problem, or this another intermediate step I can try?

smeaf Guest

Bill,

I wanted to say that I had a similar problem and your 1st post (that points to another one of your posts) solved my problem.

Thanks!

smeaf

Thread Information