Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote control failure - free Zone Alarm version 6.X

za_user Guest

Default Remote control failure - free Zone Alarm version 6.X

I discovered that the latest free download version 6.X does NOT work properly while a host computer is being controlled under PC-Anywhere 11.5. This is a new problem as I have NEVER had any problems using any other older Zone Alarm versions on a host computer while using PC-Anywhere versions 8.X to 11.X.

When this problem occurs (noted under Windows XP), it is IMPOSSIBLE to remotely operate ANY PART of the Zone Alarm program window, although mouse over highlights works and tab key focuses continues to cycle through tab focus areas correctly when the keyboard is used. However, it is impossible to operate the program either by mouse clicks or keyboard shortcuts. ALL OTHER programs and desktop components work properly while the host computer is being remotely operated. Only the Zone Alarm program window and its associated task bar button, cannot be controlled, once the Zone Alarm window is opened via double clicking of the system tray icon. As such, this current version of the free Zone Alarm download is unuseable for persons like myself that provide remote technical support for other users where I install Zone Alarm firewalls for, on their systems. The only current solution to have a REMOTELY OPERABLE Zone Alarm firewall is to revert to an older version Zone Alarm 5.50, and this operates without problems whatsoever while being remotely controlled by PC-Anywhere.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else that has experienced this issue with the latest free Zone Alarm 6.X release. Thanks for any info.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Remote control failure - free Zone Alarm version 6.X

Others have reported problems with some remote utilities. One user said "I set Remote Admin server's Trust Level to Super and now I can do whatevery I want" but I don't know if that will work for you?

za_user Guest

Hello, thank you for your suggestion on setting the remote user's privileges. Actually, I always set the remote user's privilege on the host computer to SUPERUSER, and with Zone Alarm 6.0 it was no different, but that is not the issue here. I believe that Zone Alarm 6.X somehow handles keyboard and mouse clicks differently when controlled under remote access, as compared to Zone Alarm version 5.X and earlier. I've never had this problem before with PC-Anywhere until Zone Alarm 6.X.

mikealbert Guest

za-user,

I use Real-VNC remote control software, and experienced the same problem with the current version of ZoneAlarm. I've used Real-VNC for over a year, and never had this problem with any other application. I just started using ZoneAlarm, so I can't comment on what happens with older versions.

If you figure out anything I'd appreciate your posting it here so the rest of us can benefit.

Mike

za_user Guest

Mike, it's interesting to hear that you are also experiencing remote control failure of Zone Alarm 6.X products under a differente remote software other than PC-Anywhere. I am nearly 100% certain that this is due to a change in how the Zone Alarm 6.X version interfaces with Windows mouse and keyboard services. The only solution I have found so far is to revert to the most recent older version 5.5X just before 6.X. Version 5.5X is still perfectly useable and recent. I support a lot of users via remote access. If the current 6.X version of Zone Alarm fails to respond properly to remote control access, there is no way I will install it for any user I am supporting. Back to 5.5 for now it is. Fortunately, I personally archive all older free versions of Zone Alarm, exactly for scenarios like this, so that I can go back to an older version. Zone Labs currently provides no support for the free version anyway, so that hardly makes any difference to me. A product that cannot be operated while under remote access is an unuseable product, as far as I'm concerned. I have never had ANY other Windows product that could NOT be remotely operated via PC-Anywhere in the more than 10 years of using this software for remote access.

billc Guest

I think I know the problem. In the ZA 6.0 versions, you no longer have the option to 'Protect the Zone Alarm client' as you do in earlier versions. The newest version automatically protect the client without the option of turning this feature off. I'll see if I can get further information or direction from Zone Labs.

mikealbert Guest

Ah yes, the old "That's not a bug, that's a feature!" problem.

If this IS a feature, I sure wish they'd make it configurable.

Just for the record, I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro.

Mike

za_user Guest

Actually, that's interesting that you mentioned about the PROTECT ZONE ALARM CLIENT option. I can't remember if there is still an option box in version 6.X or not, I have always turned that off on all systems I install Zone Alarm on, but I have never considered that this protection feature would block remote keyboard and mouse access. I wish someone at Zone Labs would chime in here and give us a definitive answer on that. If this issue cannot be solved I will continue to install older versions of free ZA on other systems.

jcobbster Guest

I use Ultra VNC and logmein.com all the time for remote access and I just installed 6 yesterday and tried to login today remotely and have the same problem. I'll be uninstalling very soon if this doesn't get resolved

za_user Guest

I'm glad this isn't just with PC-Anywhere. I had a hunch that it had to do with Zone Alarm 6.X's mouse / keyboard interface with Windows. I hope they fix it soon. I'll only be installing the free Zone Alarm 5.5 version until this issue is resolved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information