Thread: "Load ZoneAlarm at startup" setting ignored

stryker_oz Guest

Default "Load ZoneAlarm at startup" setting ignored

Hi,

I'm having problems with ZA on our kid's PC. It runs Win98SE and the latest version of ZA. It's a P3 800MHz, 256MB, 10GB connected to our home LAN by 802.11g. It doesn't run email so mailsafe is off. The loopback and local subnets are trusted. Win98 is patched right up, and we run Grisoft AVG antivirus and lavasoft Adaware to scan for nasties. The LAN lives behind a smoothwall firewall which offers up DHCP.

Access to other machines and the net is fine with or without ZA running, but would obviously prefer this machine were as protected as our others. Despite selecting the "Load ZoneAlarm at startup" checkbox, ZA is not loading unless you choose to do so manually but there are no errors visible at startup. Is there an error log somewhere where I might find out what's stopping ZA from loading automatically?

Any ideas on what could be stopping it or how to debug this would be very welcome, cheers!
    Geoff

Operating System:Windows 98-SE (Second Edition)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

Default Re: "Load ZoneAlarm at startup" setting ignored

<blockquote><hr>stryker_oz wrote:
    Hi,

I'm having problems with ZA on our kid's PC. It runs Win98SE and the latest version of ZA. It's a P3 800MHz, 256MB, 10GB connected to our home LAN by 802.11g. It doesn't run email so mailsafe is off. The loopback and local subnets are trusted. Win98 is patched right up, and we run Grisoft AVG antivirus and lavasoft Adaware to scan for nasties. The LAN lives behind a smoothwall firewall which offers up DHCP.

Access to other machines and the net is fine with or without ZA running, but would obviously prefer this machine were as protected as our others. Despite selecting the &quot;Load ZoneAlarm at startup&quot; checkbox, ZA is not loading unless you choose to do so manually but there are no errors visible at startup. Is there an error log somewhere where I might find out what's stopping ZA from loading automatically?

Any ideas on what could be stopping it or how to debug this would be very welcome, cheers!
    Geoff

Operating System:
    Windows 98-SE (Second Edition)
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

<hr></blockquote>

Your
    Zonealarm database may have become corrupted and now may
    need to be reset. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

If this doesn't work you may need to do a full uninstallation of the program before re-installing. Follow the instructions at this link that apply to your configuration.

http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...tallNonNT.html

stryker_oz Guest

thanks ledoc. In this case deleting those databases didn't sort it out, so looks like I'm up for a reinstallation.

cheers!
    Geoff

You are most certainly welcome Geoff. Please let me know how things go with the uninstall/reinstall.George

stryker_oz Guest

Not good news I'm afraid. A reinstallation using a fresh ZA downloaded also ignores the setting, or more probably there's something stopping ZA at startup. Manually starting ZA works fine and a virus scan detects no worms that might be disabling ZA (which you'd suspect would also stop you from launching it later).

Since I don't use this machine regularly I don't know when the last time ZA launched at startup. Any suggestions very much appreciated. It would be great to know if there is an error log.

Thanks

Sometimes the uninstallation is more important than the re-installation Here are the instructions for a clean uninstall of the program. -----------Corrupted files may not be overwritten
    during an installation on top of a currently installed program, leaving you with the same bug in place.------

See if this will work for you. Go into the start menu, locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this &quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot; /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the &quot;load on boot&quot; option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. You can reinstall the program now.

If this doesn't work then you must repeat the above steps followed by the relevant instructions in the manual uninstall link I previously sent you.

If you've already done this it's time to get a Guru here to help you.

Good Luck

Message Edited by ledoc on 02-13-200605:58 PM

stryker_oz Guest

I apologise for not closing out this thread earlier. When all else failed getting this particular PC to load ZA at startup I simply put a shortcut to ZA in the startup folder of Windows 98SE. It's not the right way, but it is working and will keep us running until I get to rebuild this PC's OS.

Thread Information