After installing ZoneAlarm Security Suite I was quite happy... until I found a major issue.
You can NOT disable On-access file scanning. Actually you can, but it is useless.
This is what happens:
1. Download a self-extracting .exe archive file. I had a 400 MB file in size.
2. On-access is activated. Starting the 400 MB .exe file takes several minutes !
3. Disable on-access. No change. Starting the file takes several minutes !
4. Disable the whole anti-virus. No change. Starting the file takes several minutes !
5. Shut down Zone-Alarm. Ah...the .exe file starts within _seconds_.
So I uninstalled Zonealarm Security Suite and tried Zonealarm Pro (without Antivirus)
-> Still the same. It looks like Zonealarm does always scan the files on access, no matter what. Maybe it does not report any viruses or something, but it DOES scan and slow down the whole thing.
Major issue for anyone needing performant file access.
I uninstalled the trial and I will have to look for something different. Too bad, otherwise ZA really looked nice :-\
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite