Thread: Major bug detected in ZoneAlarm 6.x

randomname Guest

Default Major bug detected in ZoneAlarm 6.x

After installing ZoneAlarm Security Suite I was quite happy... until I found a major issue.

You can NOT disable On-access file scanning. Actually you can, but it is useless.

This is what happens:

1. Download a self-extracting .exe archive file. I had a 400 MB file in size.

2. On-access is activated. Starting the 400 MB .exe file takes several minutes !

3. Disable on-access. No change. Starting the file takes several minutes !

4. Disable the whole anti-virus. No change. Starting the file takes several minutes !

5. Shut down Zone-Alarm. Ah...the .exe file starts within _seconds_.

So I uninstalled Zonealarm Security Suite and tried Zonealarm Pro (without Antivirus)

-> Still the same. It looks like Zonealarm does always scan the files on access, no matter what. Maybe it does not report any viruses or something, but it DOES scan and slow down the whole thing.

Major issue for anyone needing performant file access.

I uninstalled the trial and I will have to look for something different. Too bad, otherwise ZA really looked nice :-\

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: Major bug detected in ZoneAlarm 6.x

Your "Problem" probably came from Zonealarm's Operating System Firewall. Any program you run is "checked out" by the OS firewall to make sure it is not some sort of malware. You could have turned off the OS firewall and checked to see if performance time improved when you started up that almost half a gigabyte exe file. I don't think the OS Firewall is included in the free version so you could try that download and see if it works better for you.

randomname Guest

Thanks ! That did the trick! It was the OSFirewall. I didn't knew that such an option exists.

So I guess I was wrong with the major bug... my fault.

Just glad to know that your problem was solved.

Thread Information