Thread: Programmatically Change Zone Alarm Config.

contact_jai Guest

Default Programmatically Change Zone Alarm Config.

Has anyone got any experience about how to programmatically configure zone alarm?

What I am looking for is to use something like Visual Basic or VBA to be able to access and modify zone alarm configuration. Problem is I am not able to find the library that can be referenced that exposes zone alarm object model? Is there any?

I hope to hear from someone on this.

Cheers,
    Jay.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: Programmatically Change Zone Alarm Config.

Sorry, can't be done. The reason is that if you could do it, then a virus could be written to do it. ZoneAlarm has a lot of things in place to prevent it. The best you could do is to edit the XML backup file, and then manually import the backup file. But if you do it wrong, it will cause problems.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

contact_jai Guest

Hello Hov,

Thanks for the reply. Thank GOD. At least some cared to reply :-)

I fully agree with your point and do understand the reason for Zonealarm to not expose the object model for programming. However, the reason I had asked for this is as below...

In the Program Control panel of Zonealarm, it populates the Program tab with all the programs as and when zonealarm comes across it (no matter whether it has tried to connect to Internet or not). This behaviour of Zonealarm results in some of the temporary programs also being listed (particularly files like uninstall.exe when you un-install something). It then becomes too much of clutter in there to manage. At times the executables listed here do not even exist. What I was thinking was I will write a small script that would check all the programs listed and if they do not exist on the disk anymore then it would delete it from the list. Obviously, now it is clear that it will not be possible the way I thought. Do you have any better ideas about this?

Your response will be much appreciated.

Thanks once again for replying to my message.

Cheers,

Jay.

Send it in as a suggestion. Someway to check to see if the entry is still valid. We have asked for it before, but the more people ask for it, the better.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Thread Information