Thread: Erroneous task icons in task bar

davehwhatpot Guest

Default Erroneous task icons in task bar

Why does ZA Pro put an inactive 'task icon' in my task tray at the bottom of the screen after carrying out scheduled tasks? It disappears if I re-boot. Any suggestions? Regards, davehwhatpot

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

billc Guest

Default Re: Erroneous task icons in task bar

What does the icon look like?

janwon Guest

I think he has the same thing that brought me here. All of a sudden it looks like I have opened ZA because the button is in my task tray but you can't open anything with it and you can't right click and close it. It was like I had opened the program but I didn't.Thanks Janet
    Windows XPVersion 6.1.737.000

chanceu Guest

This "ghost" button has been discussed frequently and no one seems to know what to do about it or how to get rid of it short of rebooting or restarting ZA.

I have done a little research and found that it appears to be a "bubble" message that indicates that virus/spyware scanning is in progress or has been completed. The window is a child of the ZA main window because it has the same process id and thread id. Somehow the window gets screwed up and no longer responds to certain Windows messages that allow it to redraw itself. Notice that if you click on it and press ALT+TAB, a ZA icon appears in the list of running programs even though you cannot see the window anywhere. If you click on another application and press ALT+TAB, the ZA icon no longer appears. This indicates that the system sees it as an active window, at least when it has focus.

I wrote a piece of code that finds the window and forces it to be shown. As I said earlier, after it appears, it is a ZA bubble message with the little 'x' button in the upper right corner. You see these all the time, they look like a caption in a comic and appear just above the system tray. I have seen 2 messages in the window, "Scanning complete" and "Scanning in progress" (or something similar, I didn't write them down). After I force it to be shown, it seems to work fine as I can ALT+TAB to it or close it.

Unfortunately, since the icon only appears once every day or so and forcing it to be shown fixes what ever the problem is, I only get one shot to mess with it and I don't always have time.

At least on my system, the icon only gets stuck when I leave my machine overnight as my virus/spyware scan is set to run in the early morning. Over the weekend, I shut my machine down and left it for a couple days. When I came in Monday morning and turned on the machine, the scan started, I saw a bubble message that said the scan was in progress and after a few seconds, it faded away. When the scan was complete, I saw a bubble message that said the scan was complete and after a few seconds, it faded away. In neither case was an icon left on the task bar. This makes me believe that the screen saver, the system sleeping, or maybe another message that pops up in the same place is what is screwing it up.

If your program control is on high try lowering it to medium for a couple more weeks.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

janwon Guest

What a funny little thing. Mine don't have an x in it. Just a button in the task try like I would have if I have any program open like my home page or Paint Shop Pro. But like you said it is just a dummy you can depress it like a button but nothing happens, you can right click on it but unlike another button that would be there nothing pops up giving me the choice to Exit.I turn my computer off every night.But since I posted I have not seen it again. Guess if it comes back I can live with it till I turn the computer off for the night........Thank YouJanet

janwon Guest

Thanks, I do run on medium. I guess as long as it isn't doing anything but sitting there till I reboot I can live with it........Thank You
    Janet

chanceu Guest

I didn't say that the icon on the taskbar has an 'x' button. I said that the window that belongs to the icon does.

janwon Guest

Sorry, mine just has the button no
    window.

Janet

davehwhatpot Guest

Hi, Bill,

Just for clarification the 'inactive icon' that I am referring to lies between the 'Quick Access' icons and the 'Systray Icons' at the bottom of the screen.

The display carries the 'ZA' icin and the words 'Zone Alarm Pro' as it appears at the moment while I have ZA open to access the support site.

This inactive icon (when I run the mouse over it, it changes to a different shade of blue, but clicking on it produces no reponses) seems to appear after scheduled ZA activity. Today, to my surpise, it disappeared after scheduled ZA activity.

Hope this clarifies the situation Regards, DaveH....

Thread Information