Thread: Is ZAP Suite losing the battle with spam

unclerhemus Guest

Default Is ZAP Suite losing the battle with spam

With increasing disappointment I'm watching ZAP's Security Suit missing more and more junk mail of a very particular type.
    This spam has
    a unique
    characteristic; I can't highlight any of the text in the message, and most of it is formated in a specific way and deals with stock offering.
    For over 6 months, I have scrupulously reported every instance of this type of spam, but the problem continues to get worse.
    Is there hope the ZAP will soon catch this spam?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: Is ZAP Suite losing the battle with spam

I share your frustratiion with this problem. It appears that the spammers have formatted their add into a gif file so actually there is no text portion of the message which can be used to analyze and sort it. The subject text appears to be randomly generated words
    so it is also useless as a source of information to identify the message as spam.
    I have one computer not running ZASS and on that particular machine I use an antispam program called Frongate MX. It searches several internet websites which are databases for known spam messages/mailers. This program is pretty good at picking up this new type of spam. Frontgate MX is not as convenient to use because you still have to configure and train your program but the end effect is worth it I think. So i guess this means we will be seeing improvements in the ZASS anti-spam program since you can count on Zonelabs to stay in the forefront of security programs.

Message Edited by ledoc on 02-27-200608:25 PM

forum_moderator Guest

Hello

ZAP does not have any features to catch SPAM. Only our Suite version has Mail Frontiers anti-spam product built into it.

By default in the suitethe spam settings may not be aggressive enough for all email you might get. I personally had to configure the product to be more agressive with my email at home to catch them all.

Even then about once a week I might get 2-3 messages that get through. The great thing about the mail fontier product is that you can report spam that passed though and this makes the product learn and helps all users and yourself.

With even 2-3 messages getting through a week that a great average. Mail Frontiers technology is rated number one in that market so your getting the best in the suite.

Forum Moderator

unclerhemus Guest

I misnamed it.
    I do have the fully updated ZA Security Suite as indicated in the pull down menu for "product" for my email.
    I assume ZA Junk Mail is the same as spam, and I have my message filters set to their most aggressive setting.

As one person put it better than I: "the spammers have formatted their ad into a gif file so actually there is no text portion of the message which can be used to analyze
    -- it. The subject text appears to be randomly generated words so it is also useless as a source of information to identify the message as spam.
    "

I have reported this type of spam to ZA
    for over 1/2 a year, but other spammers are catching on, and it's getting worse and not better.
    Instead of 2 or 3 messages a week getting through, it's 3 or 4 a day now.

Again, is ZA going to get a handle on this problem?

Thread Information