I'm trying out the pro version of Zonealarm. I've searched the forum for my question... but too many hits. Please show me a link if my question has already been answered.
So far, after installing the Zonealarm Pro, I've executed nothing but IE 6.
While trying to go to a webpage (not the first during my IE session), I got the popup about IE trying to use components. When I clicked on 'details' the new window showed a lot of microsoft modules, but also other seemingly unrelated modules - like: navshell.dll (Norton Antivirus Shell), pgpmn.dll (PGPshell Menu Extensions), RARext.dll (I haven't used RAR unzipper in
months...), SYNCUI.DLL (Windows Briefcase), WFSHELEX.DLL (Norton Wipeinfo Shell Extension), WZSHLEX1.DLL (Winzip Shell extension dll).
I wasn't "using" any of the products I named above (except for IE). I've NEVER used Norton Wipeinfo, though it's installed.
Question 1: What's going on? I
continue to get
the "components" warning popup
as I continue to use
IE, but, so far, those unrelated components have not shown up again. But, why did they? Is it a problem with Zonealarm?
Are those products trying to phone home? Are they queued up somewhere, waiting to phone home again? Where, the registry? I used MSInfo to see loaded modules. They're not there - atleast, not now.
When I got the above popup with the seemingly unrelated components, I denied access. IE then, of course, couldn't show the webpage I wanted to see. In fact, IE became unusable from then on, until I restarted it.
The Program Control/Components panel shows the above unrelated components with the "?" (ASK) mark in the ACCESS column.
Question 2: What is the effect of the "?" (ASK) mark in the ACCESS column for those unrelated components? If they ever try to access the net again, will zonealarm ASK for their access? Zonealarm has not so far asked for their access during my 2 days of using IE. How do I test to make sure that these unrelated modules do not get access?
Addendum:I get the 'IE and components are trying to access the internet' popup not only while loading a webpage, sometimes I get it at any time after a webpage has been loaded - e.g. while I'm reading text on a webpage. The last "component" was WFXSEH32.DLL
(Shell extension for ACT phonebook integration DLL).This makes it seem like these modules are trying to phone home at any chance they get. I wonder if they'll try to do the same thing when I using an FTP client?Very annoying.
About 10 mins after i got the above popup about the component WFXSEH32.DLL I had restarted IE and browsed another webpage. I then got the "IE and components trying to access internet" popup again, and, again, the component was WFXSEH32.DLL. Previously, I had denied access. In the component list panel, WFXSEH32.DLL had the "?" mark. This time I allowed access. Now, WFXSEH32.DLL has the check mark (allow).Question 3: Does this mean that ZA will now never warn about
WFXSEH32.DLL component trying to access the internet?
This behavior is Unlike the behavior ZA takes for main programs!
For IE, for instance, if I don't check
"remember" , ZA will always ASK.

Operating System:
Windows 98-SE (Second Edition)
Product Name:
ZoneAlarm Pro
Software Version:

Message Edited by breaker on 02-27-200607:23 AM

Message Edited by breaker on 02-27-200608:09 AM